• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Vermont legalized gay marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for Vermont. Now, let's hope Maine can fight off those "family values" Religious Reich assholes *cough*MichaelHeath*cough* and do the same.

That doesn't count as a US State legislating to allow gay marriage, because Vermonters are closet Canadians.

Well, so are Mainers, but we have Michael Heath and his merry band of idiots to contend with. I don't see why they don't just move to the Bible Belt and join the Westboro cult; it would suit them, and more importantly, it would suit the rest of the state just fine.

I think its only a matter of time before gay rights really get a boost because I mean most young people agree that gays should have just as many rights as everyone else. i mean just listen to the opinions on this board.

so once this generation gets older and takes over the government positions from all the babyboomers, i think tolerance will increase and life will hopefully be better for everyone.

Not if they stay in office forever... look at how Congress has become literally a senior citizen's home. I'll have a chance to run for the House in four years (though I'll have to wait until 2014 to do so)...

Really, what we should all do is ourselves make the push and run for office. It's something that everyone in a democratic republic should do as a duty to themselves and their fellow citizens.

This thread is about legalised gay marraige in Vermont, not religion

Being from Missouri, the voters approved our ban ^_^ I don't bash gays/lesbians nor do I intend to, but I do feel that gay shouldn't have the right to get married as it is not part of my beliefs. Again NOT bashing, so no hate towards me.
Really, if gay marriage is such a big issue, then why not put it to a vote? -.- Let the people decide, in like a nationwide vote. XD

This thread is about legalised gay marraige in Vermont, not religion

This thread is actually about the article that Misty posted, which is mostly about the legalization of gay marriage in Vermont, but also the article discusses some other states where the same is being considered. Others in this thread who know the other states that were discussed are giving their opinions on why or why not it might pass there. Sometimes religion plays a part in that, but such is how things work in the real world.

Nicoleta01 said:
Being from Missouri, the voters approved our ban ^_^ I don't bash gays/lesbians nor do I intend to, but I do feel that gay shouldn't have the right to get married as it is not part of my beliefs.

So, because you don't believe in a legally binding document that has nothing to do with religion (since atheists are also able to get married, and do because of the protection that marriage gives for many things), things like this are perfectly fine and acceptable to you? http://www.miamiherald.com/277/story/892447.html

Last edited:
I always thought Vermont was a city . . .

And, to be honest, I really dont give a hoot about gay marriages. To each his own in my opinion. Im not a concious gay basher, but as long as I dont have to see some man on man action im one happy camper. Turn away when the priest says "You may now kiss the Bride."

I have NO idea why lesbian action isnt a problem for me. No im not a lesbian myself, nor am i Bi-sexual. I got over that in highschool. Im all for teh sausage.

Being from Missouri, the voters approved our ban ^_^ I don't bash gays/lesbians nor do I intend to, but I do feel that gay shouldn't have the right to get married as it is not part of my beliefs. Again NOT bashing, so no hate towards me.
Really, if gay marriage is such a big issue, then why not put it to a vote? -.- Let the people decide, in like a nationwide vote. XD

Oh, yes. If YOU don't believe in it, then of COURSE gays have no right to get married!

Look, I can respect the opinions of those who disapprove of gay marriage, but only if they give a sensible reason. "It's bad because I believe it is" doesn't count.

I did have issues with this before, but now I have no problem with it. Let them live in peace. I'm happy as long as there is no violence over this stuff. Overall it is insignificant to me.

@Satoshi-kun: A document doesn't make anything right or wrong lol. XD A law doesn't make anything right/wrong either, because if that's the case then, let's have people and animals get married. XD Just kidding on that part. Seeing how a Man and a Woman of legal age and mind (aka not a kid/ can't willingly enter a contract) can only make children biologically (assuming nothing goes wrong gene-wise), that should be the only people who should be able to get married.

@Chaos Control: That up there a good reason? lol XD I think gays should be left alone [not harassed and protected {Like job discrimination and such}]
Again, it should be put to a vote because it's the community that will/will not be affected, so let each state decide and the federal gov not to interfere.

I highly doubt gay marriage will put an end to procreation as we know it.

Besides, with the existence of sperm banks, that's a moot point.

@Satoshi-kun: A document doesn't make anything right or wrong lol. XD A law doesn't make anything right/wrong either, because if that's the case then, let's have people and animals get married. XD Just kidding on that part. Seeing how a Man and a Woman of legal age and mind (aka not a kid/ can't willingly enter a contract) can only make children biologically (assuming nothing goes wrong gene-wise), that should be the only people who should be able to get married.

Sweet, well, when Vermont's version of Prop 8 passes, maybe they could slip in the clause about banning sterile heterosexual couples from marrying.

Sweet, well, when Vermont's version of Prop 8 passes, maybe they could slip in the clause about banning sterile heterosexual couples from marrying.

Of course, they won't. Because they aren't "sick"...

I get it if the church wants to refuse marrying gays in their institution because its against their beliefs, but seriously, they have no right to stop gays from getting married.

I personally believe, that the christians who hate on gays and are racist and sexist. Should. Be. SHOT. Yes, thats right, SHOT. Or dowsed in Napalm. Christians DO NOT have the right, to abuse people for their sexual orientation. They do NOT have the right, to force their opinions on the rest of the world. Christians are a realigion, that is it, they are not a power, they are not politicians, they are just a religion. I would happily go around and shoot every single christian, even my mother (who is the worst of all the christians) who hates the thought of Gay marriage. Hell, i'll get a license to marry people and marry the gays myself if it will piss off the christians.

*ends rant. . . for the moment bahahahaha*
Thats my 2 cents.

@Satoshi-kun: A document doesn't make anything right or wrong lol. XD A law doesn't make anything right/wrong either, because if that's the case then, let's have people and animals get married.

Didn't know that a consenting gay man (or woman) over the legal age was an animal and not a human.

XD Just kidding on that part.

Oh whew, you had me going there for a second. Glad you're just kidding.

Seeing how a Man and a Woman of legal age and mind (aka not a kid/ can't willingly enter a contract) can only make children biologically (assuming nothing goes wrong gene-wise), that should be the only people who should be able to get married.

So, I'll let you be the person to tell my grandparents that they should no longer be married. Since they are too old to procreate, guess they shouldn't be married, right? Oh, also, they couldn't have children, so their two children, my dad and my aunt, are both adopted. I guess since they couldn't make children biologically in the first place, they shouldn't have been married.

You do understand that people to marry for things other than making babies, right? Some marry for love. Some marry for money. Some marry to gain legal citizenship. There are many reasons that people marry (some that I don't agree with, but I'm not going to wish for any sort of law against that... part of the responsibility of living in a "free country" is protecting the rights of even those who you don't agree with as long as they are not harming someone, because you would like them to be around to protect your own rights if and when they are being trampled on), but only heterosexual couples are allowed these rights and benefits in most states in our country today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom