• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Vivillon research thread

And speaking of users, one user from Sweden mentioned in the VivillonVendredi thread that Sweden has the Continental pattern too. Or at least he has it.

I live in the GLORIOUS REPUBLIC OF JÄMTLAND *clears throught* which is pretty much dead center in sweden, and I have the Polar pattern (we're fairly close to the circle, so it's fitting, I suppose).

If what you say is true, it's a bit impressive that they bothered to separate such a relatively small country into multiple regions for patterns.

Though, they may just have based it on meridians, difficult to tell.

Well, I believe that Sweden is a little bit bigger than Germany and might have a more diverse nature. And even we in Germany got different patterns. And no, I doubt that Gamefreak just took the meridians as a guideline. In Germany, Bavaria got the marine one, Baden-Wuerttemberg the meadow one. And those two regions (or better said states) are directly next to each other. So I think that the meridians alone were not the deciding factor and that Gamefreak at least tried to pay attention to what is typical/characteristic in different regions.

Im from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and mine is Savanna Pattern.

You're welcome to add me :)
My FC: 1349-5733-0096
Trainer and 3DS name: Rodrigo

im gonna add your fc , add mine too :)

My FC: 1349-5733-0096
Trainer and 3DS name: Rodrigo
Vivillon Pattern: Savanna Pattern
Safari type: Fire (Braixen, Ponyta, Pyroar)

I live in the Philippines, but most of the DSes sold here are US region so I set my location to Oregon. My Vivillon turns out to be an Archipelago one.

Well, I believe that Sweden is a little bit bigger than Germany

"Taller", anyway.

And no, I doubt that Gamefreak just took the meridians as a guideline. In Germany, Bavaria got the marine one, Baden-Wuerttemberg the meadow one. And those two regions (or better said states) are directly next to each other. So I think that the meridians alone were not the deciding factor and that Gamefreak at least tried to pay attention to what is typical/characteristic in different regions.

That's pretty much settled, then.

BTW, can someone in Kiruna/Northern Lappland confirm whether they have Polar or Tundra, because I doubt Tundra is exclusive to Siberia.

Disappointed all UK shares one, Scotland could've suited Marine ;_;

What will happen if Scotland gets independence? Do we keep Garden? Or will they take a second look and change it in future games?

EDIT: But then again, Archipelago could fit for all our islands :3

Where's Elegant from? It's my favorite, and when I start my Y, I need to know what to set it too for it :3

High Plains - BC Canada
Modern Pattern - Newfoundland Canada

(Not sure if they had this pattern from a previous GTS or not, but trainer code matches with trainer)

Disappointed all UK shares one, Scotland could've suited Marine ;_;

What will happen if Scotland gets independence? Do we keep Garden? Or will they take a second look and change it in future games?

EDIT: But then again, Archipelago could fit for all our islands :3

Where's Elegant from? It's my favorite, and when I start my Y, I need to know what to set it too for it :3

Well Ireland and Serbia are independent countries and still have the garden variety, so independent Scotland would probably stay the same. I do find it interesting how certain regions in certain countries are different for no apparent reason, ie Bavaria being Marine while the rest of Germany is continental.

Japan. It's really easy to find on the GTS though.
--
I checked my 3DS settings just yesterday and realised I couldn't set my region to HK/TW - Which basically means native Monsoons are impossible for my console. Maybe some of the "missing" countries are due to the type of 3DS you own?

Russia, Saint-Petersburg (this is the North-Western part of the country in case anyone doesn't know), and the pattern here is Continental. Damn, I hoped for Polar or Icy Snow >_<

Hmm... I was just wandering. Perhaps the second (non Pokeball) Vivillon is just in case Scottish Independence from the UK goes ahead?

Though there would be no point in changing from Garden, right?

I'm so confused 0^0

Well, there's no 'Scotland' option on the 3DS, so I kinda doubt it. Unless there's an update on the 3DS.

Garden doesn't really go well for Scotland, since most gardens are tiny. A 'Highland' Pattern would fit.

Hmm... I was just wandering. Perhaps the second (non Pokeball) Vivillon is just in case Scottish Independence from the UK goes ahead?

Though there would be no point in changing from Garden, right?

I'm so confused 0^0

Well, there's no 'Scotland' option on the 3DS, so I kinda doubt it. Unless there's an update on the 3DS.

Garden doesn't really go well for Scotland, since most gardens are tiny. A 'Highland' Pattern would fit.

There is a Scotland option, you press UK, then it asks for your specific country. I'm pretty sure at no point during the allocation of Vivillon forms did the issue of Scottish independence come into it. Ireland are independent yet still have garden pattern.

To whom it may concern: there are 603 possible region settings for an American 3DS (as in, "Americas"), spread over 50 countries. (I've written them all out if anyone's interested. If so, a PM would probably be the best way to make sure I notice.) I believe the Japanese and European/Australian consoles have another 42 countries or so, so they could have another 500+ possible settings all together.

If anyone wants to completely verify Vivillon patterns for all settings, it'll take a lot of work, even just to gather the data. =P If anyone's crazy enough to tackle it all themselves (at least for an American 3DS), assuming it takes 15 minutes to set a region, start a game, and trade out a Scatterbug, it'd take about 150 hours (6.25 days if you could do it 24 hours a day) to finish that task...

I don't at all mean to make it look impossible or anything... I just like data. =P

BTW, for Nebraska (U.S.), I got a Modern Vivillon.

I live in Northern Kentucky, USA and I have the Modern pattern one.

US - Nevada - High Plains. Cannot imagine my confusion when I had a Spewpa evolve the very first time and it wasn't pink. I was like "what the hell?"

Where in Nevada to you hail from? I found most reports are that Nevada has the Modern pattern.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom