• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Was gen 4 really that bad?

Gen IV was far from the worst. Gen II was the worst, in my opinion, since all it did was smash two regions together for almost no real reason. Gen IV introduced a lot of improvements that have since been built up on, such as the physical/special split, which has pretty much changed the games forever. A lot of good Pokemon were introduced in Sinnoh as well. DP was the problem, though, as it had a fair few flaws that needed addressing. Luckily, Platinum fixed those problems and even built up the story even more. It could be a tad slow at times, but Platinum is one of my favorite games (bested only by White), and, despite flaws, it held it's own very well. There were a bit too many evo/pre-evo forms of many Pokemon in Sinnoh, but that's a minor gripe. It gave us great Pokemon like Torterra, Staraptor, Lucario, Garchomp, Infernape, Gliscor, and more. While Hoenn is still my favorite region, due to its sheer beauty and variety of terrains, Sinnoh did a very good job as a close second with the various terrains it provided (though the Fog bit was a sheer annoyance).

So, overall, Gen IV wasn't that bad. It had some quirks and flaws, yes, but it wasn't horrible. I can't see how it could be that bad. It wasn't perfect, but nothing is perfect, so I call it a success. If they didn't bother with HGSS then I'd be much happier, as they were a waste of space, revisiting a worthless region with another old and annoying one stuck to it. But Gen IV wasn't a disaster, it certainly had less faults than the first three gens did. So I'd call it a good gen.

How about Black and White?

My first Pokemon game was SoulSilver, which is part of Gen 4, so I have a soft spot for it, and Platinum was amazing. I think the new evolutions for previous Pokemon were a good idea. I only hate the slow-paced parts of it. It usually takes me half a minute to get away from one Pokemon battle because of it, and it sometimes made the game dull. Also, I really didn't like how long it took to save if you even just looked in your box.

I love Gen IV. Platinum is my favourite game. The reformulation of physical and special moves was awesome. It was incredibly terrible that until Gen III you hit a pokémon with an ice punch and it took special damage. The new pokémon was so good as in Gold/Silver. Sinnoh was a very good region, the first one to have snow.

One issue with Gen IV were the starters. If you ignored how they look like, then they're pretty good, other than that, no. Many of the pokemon in it just looked awkward, but it had its gems within and also the best line of legendaries. Other than that, it had fixed a few issues that the earlier games had. Introducing the Poketch was great, which i want back, because it made the touch screen useful during normal solo gameplay. But HG/SS made the touchscreen almost required to use, which is great, because I just hate mashing the A button and wear it out and to use the D-pad for anything else than walking. Also that pokemon followed you outside of the pokeballs was great, as it looked so silly when you got Groudon following you around.

But all these nice features still makes this gen the worst, but not far from Gen 3.

One issue with Gen IV were the starters. If you ignored how they look like, then they're pretty good, other than that, no. Many of the pokemon in it just looked awkward, but it had its gems within and also the best line of legendaries. Other than that, it had fixed a few issues that the earlier games had. Introducing the Poketch was great, which i want back, because it made the touch screen useful during normal solo gameplay. But HG/SS made the touchscreen almost required to use, which is great, because I just hate mashing the A button and wear it out and to use the D-pad for anything else than walking. Also that pokemon followed you outside of the pokeballs was great, as it looked so silly when you got Groudon following you around.

But all these nice features still makes this gen the worst, but not far from Gen 3.

Empoleon>Blastoies>Swampert>Feralgater>Samurott

Gen 4 was pretty good. It had a lot of cool new Pokémon but also had some annoying ones like Budew and Kriketot.

I wasn't crazy about Gen 4, but I like it better than Gen 5.... Some of the Pokemon were questionable, but it had a cool region, fun characters, and introduced a lot of fun features (PokeRadar, the Underground, gender differences, three dimension-ish graphics, the taller overworld sprites, and running inside buildings!!!) Plus it didn't have that no-Pokemon-from-past-regions nonsense that Gen 5 has.

I wasn't crazy about Gen 4, but I like it better than Gen 5.... Some of the Pokemon were questionable, but it had a cool region, fun characters, and introduced a lot of fun features (PokeRadar, the Underground, gender differences, three dimension-ish graphics, the taller overworld sprites, and running inside buildings!!!) Plus it didn't have that no-Pokemon-from-past-regions nonsense that Gen 5 has.
Gen 5 was good

Gen 4 was definitely one of the best! D/P/PT were simply epic and then HG/SS, besides being epic, was a trip down memory lane, set in my favourite region of all, Johto. Bad? Far from.

The Pokémon introduced in Generation V are (mostly) far better than the ones introduced in Generation IV (in my opinion, of course). That being said, I appreciate Sinnoh and DPPt way more than BW, but BW weren't bad games. B2W2 on other hand... I didn't like them that much.

I know it is a matter of opinion and all, but it always baffles me when someone says that Gen IV is their last favorite, when we have the boring Gen II in the same series.

People consider Gen IV to be bad? oO; Personally, I thought the generation was like, one of the best out there, really! I mean, the Pokemon revealed were amazing (even if some of them were evolutions of old Pokemon, so what?) and Platinum/HGSS' Battle Frontier wasn't bad or anything like that (in fact, I was quite enjoyable), so I guess you can say you can call me quite surprised whenever people say that they consider Gen IV to be one of their least favorite, considering that there's hardly any drawbacks to the region.

...I know that this doesn't sound like a completely objective opinion, but I'm literally trying as hard as I can to think of a few negatives to it. Okay in D/P, the animation was super slow, and surfing took forever. But it got fixed in Platinum, I suppose, so that's pretty much scratched off the list. The storyline wasn't all that excellent until it got improved upon in Platinum, adding the Distortion World and stuff. But that's...literally all I can think of. Oh well. u_u

People consider Gen IV to be bad? oO; Personally, I thought the generation was like, one of the best out there, really! I mean, the Pokemon revealed were amazing (even if some of them were evolutions of old Pokemon, so what?) and Platinum/HGSS' Battle Frontier wasn't bad or anything like that (in fact, I was quite enjoyable), so I guess you can say you can call me quite surprised whenever people say that they consider Gen IV to be one of their least favorite, considering that there's hardly any drawbacks to the region.

...I know that this doesn't sound like a completely objective opinion, but I'm literally trying as hard as I can to think of a few negatives to it. Okay in D/P, the animation was super slow, and surfing took forever. But it got fixed in Platinum, I suppose, so that's pretty much scratched off the list. The storyline wasn't all that excellent until it got improved upon in Platinum, adding the Distortion World and stuff. But that's...literally all I can think of. Oh well. u_u

Well, I didn't like some of the Pokemon designs and found them very off from what I was used to. The region didn't interest me much, and I didn't like getting stuck in the marsh and snow a lot of times. I did consider Platinum an improvement over Diamond and Pearl, though.

The main drawbacks were, like you said, the super slow animation and surfing, but those were fixed.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom