• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Way don't Poké balls catch Humans?

I’m sure it has something to do with the fact that the Pokeball has been programmed to work on a Pokémon’s physiology, which is different from a humans.

*Raises hand* But, if all this talk about DNA being diffrent, why can't we catch OTHER peoples pokemon? I mean, the DNA would be the same...

*Raises hand* But, if all this talk about DNA being diffrent, why can't we catch OTHER peoples pokemon? I mean, the DNA would be the same...

I always imagined that once a Pokemon was caught it was invisibly printed so that other trainer's Pokeballs would read for that print and not capture if it was owned. Then there'd be people who reprogrammed the balls to not care about this print, and that's how the snag machine turned normal Pokeballs into snag balls. But that's just IMO.

Actually the DNA would not be the same, but only would be very similar. And it's not as easy as soft sci-fi would suggest to read something's DNA. Anything that can recognize species almost certainly would not need to identify DNA.

Well, yeah, it could be the DNA...but, if I re-call correctly, wasn't there an episode in season 1 where Ash managed to catch a JELLY FILLED DOUGHNUT (*OR, a rice ball....*...) with a Pokéball? o_0; The Manky episode, it was, I believe...yeah, that always kinda got to me a little. lol

I think the balls quickly scan the thing being caught and if it has pokemon DNA, its attempted to be caught, if human it won't be

I thought the Rice Ball catch was a fluke.

Did the light come out of the ball when the rice ball was caught? If not then its not a real catch, it just fitted in the ball and should not be counted.

Pokemon are energy beings.

Nope, the ball converts them to energy, the energy comes out of the ball and sucks them in, I am sure if the pokemon were energy beings, there would be other ways of catching them besides pokeballs

I think the pokemon is coded not to be caught once put in a pokeball, unless it wants to go into another persons pokeball, then it can "supress" this print, like how patchiruchu when it was first caught by Dawn, jumped into TR pokeball.

I think it's been confirmed that item balls are not the same as Pokéballs, they just use the same model.

It's even possible that they're even bigger than Pokéballs, since it's possible to mistake them for Voltorbs.

so what? Someone goes around using orbs about half a meter in diameter to store colored shards (among other things) that could barely take up the center of the palm of your hand? Also, how do you care all these items if item balls are really that big?

Did the light come out of the ball when the rice ball was caught? If not then its not a real catch, it just fitted in the ball and should not be counted.

oddly enough, I think the riceball was converted to energy when it went into the ball, but then Satoshi opened the ball and the whole thing was just sitting inside there rather than bursting out in energy. At any rate, this was very early in the anime and mainly done as a gag, so it seems ridiculously easy to retcon.

I always thought that the reason the riceball was "caught" by the Pokemon was because it wasn't so much that Pokeballs are programmed to only capture Pokemon as they are to avoid capturing humans. But yeah, it was early on and more of a gag than anything.

Well, yeah, it could be the DNA...but, if I re-call correctly, wasn't there an episode in season 1 where Ash managed to catch a JELLY FILLED DOUGHNUT (*OR, a rice ball....*...) with a Pokéball? o_0; The Manky episode, it was, I believe...yeah, that always kinda got to me a little. lol

give this guy/gal a hand i was thinking this very same thing :7up:
i mean if it was made to reconise Pokemon DNA like you guys say are you saying that rice balls/ Jelly filled Doughnuts have the same gentic traits?

O_O that means that all pokemon evolved from food! OMG XD

^or maybe the instance where the rice ball was caught was a joke? That is the most reasonable assumption.

yes yes i know it was a joke i was just being silly can ya blame me when will you get the chance to make such a joke again?

I guess I can't blame you. I'm much to jumpy.

Back on topic: It probably has something to do with the DNA structure of the pokemon. Something that sets them apart from humans.

I think that (in game) pokemon are most likely of alien origins, though they have been on earth with humans since the beginning of time. Having different DNA to humans is perfectly feasable if you go by this.
As for pokeballs, they are man-made and likely designed to capture only energy signatures that it registers as pokemon.
I'm guessing that things like evolution stones are made up of otherworldly minerals and could possibly be captured as well?
Whatever pokemon are made of is probably broken down (or literally shrunken) by the pokeball so that it can be contained and that the balls have some sort of inhibiter built in so that they can't be tampered with.
I bet people would have tried to capture other humans in the past with grisly consequences... but, again, I'm guessing that whatever process allows pokemon to be caught, will not work on humans and probably kill them in the process by ripping them apart from the inside out in order to break them down. (Nasty)
The overworld item pokeballs are just the same as a treasure chest in any other RPG and not actually any sort of pokeball, though large enough to be mistaken for a voltorb.
Well, I think I've gone on long enough.

I think that (in game) pokemon are most likely of alien origins, though they have been on earth with humans since the beginning of time. Having different DNA to humans is perfectly feasable if you go by this.
As for pokeballs, they are man-made and likely designed to capture only energy signatures that it registers as pokemon.
I'm guessing that things like evolution stones are made up of otherworldly minerals and could possibly be captured as well?
Whatever pokemon are made of is probably broken down (or literally shrunken) by the pokeball so that it can be contained and that the balls have some sort of inhibiter built in so that they can't be tampered with.
I bet people would have tried to capture other humans in the past with grisly consequences... but, again, I'm guessing that whatever process allows pokemon to be caught, will not work on humans and probably kill them in the process by ripping them apart from the inside out in order to break them down. (Nasty)
The overworld item pokeballs are just the same as a treasure chest in any other RPG and not actually any sort of pokeball, though large enough to be mistaken for a voltorb.
Well, I think I've gone on long enough.

Dude, according to the games acient people used to catch pokémons in hollowed out apricorns. Now explain that using your theory.

Well aren't humans just another Pokemon? So it would be possible to catch a human in a Pokeball unless it was programmed to catch all Pokemon except for Humans.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom