• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

We can has Pokemon MMO?

Italy-kun

Pata pata pata pata pata!
Reaction score
Seriously, it's gotta happen. I don't see how this hasn't been staring Game Freak in the face. I mean, almost everything people complain about (LOLOLOL PKMN Y U NO KANTO, Who says I'm 4'6"?, New Pokes=Crap kthxbai, FRIENDCODESWTF, etc.) would be much easier to fix on a few discs with the occasional expansion than a little square smaller than a potato chip. And I don't mean some fan crap either. I mmean a real, first-party MMO, maybe with the help of some subsidary or other studio. A Pokedollar for your thoughts?

People complain about EVERYTHING in Pokemon, from wanting more than just 6 Pokemon in your party to no more evil teams, no more new Pokemon, no gyms,.... Most of the complaints about the games are ridiculous and silly, which is why Game Freak doesn't address them. GF knows what they are doing, which is why Pokemon is still successful today.

Anyway, main issue: Nintendo doesn't make PCs, so they aren't going to make games for them. They'll keep all their games on their own consoles and handhelds. Plus, since Wi-FI is becoming easier to access, most people can trade and battle online whenever they want. And they don't have to be sitting at a computer to do it either.

Pokemon is fine on the handhelds and really wouldn't seem right on a computer. Remember, they are Pocket Monsters, meaning you can carry them in your pocket wherever you go. The main thing is that people need to realize that Game Freak knows what's best for Pokemon, not the fans, despite what some of us like to think.

Anyway, main issue: Nintendo doesn't make PCs, so they aren't going to make games for them. They'll keep all their games on their own consoles and handhelds. Plus, since Wi-FI is becoming easier to access, most people can trade and battle online whenever they want. And they don't have to be sitting at a computer to do it either.
I agree with everything except this part, a lot of people don't have compatible wifi. I had to convince my roommates to let me use WEP to be compatible with my DS, and the only place I can trade is in my apartment.

After witnessing how long it can take for one turn to pass in Pokemon PBR thanks to choppy Wi-Fi, a complex MMO with adequate graphics doesn't seem likely. Unless Wii U is a hardware muscle and Nintendo improves the network.

I agree with everything except this part, a lot of people don't have compatible wifi. I had to convince my roommates to let me use WEP to be compatible with my DS, and the only place I can trade is in my apartment.

I had to put up with basically the same thing. My dad had to set up an WEP network separate from our normal WPA2 network. Luckily the 3DS and Black/WHite support WPA2, but not everyone has a 3DS. A MMO on the (3)DS will never happen, though.

Wii (U): Not seeing it either.

PC: Nintendo doesn't make PC games. Gamefreak, being a second party developer for Nintendo, I'll never either. So unfortunately, a MMO will never happen.

It's a nice idea, but I don't see it happening. :/ Reasons stated above.

Besides, I much rather prefer my Pokemon games on a handheld system. ^_^

A MMO on the (3)DS will never happen, though.

If Monster Hunter 3G and 4 are anything close to their PSP counterparts, then a game similar to MMO is very much possible on 3DS as well. I share the same sentiments as the OP and I really, really hope GameFreak will try to delve into that area with the next generation. Pokemon has an amazing multiplayer potential and it would be a shame if it wasn't expanded upon. Remember that the main idea behind Pokemon was playing with your friends, and if GF manages to pull it off I can smell a huge critical and commercial hit coming.

I would have loved to see a Pokèmon MMO. Not for the handheld, it just wasn't made for that and being online sucks the battery out. but as a separate spinoff either on Wii or PC (because money.)
I've been thinking about this lot how it could work. I would have liked it to be similar to the original games with of course better graphics and the ability to see other players and challenge them whenever you meet with similar battle systems as the other console games.
You can get the choice between starting in five different regions, Kanto, Jotho, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova, each determines which starter you get and with the ability to travel to other regions once you've gotten to a certain point (I expect after getting 8 badges in your home region). New regions may be added as expansion packs later.
This may just sound like a remake of the previous gens with the added luxury of interacting directly with other players but come on who wouldn't love to see that? :3
The Battle Frontier could be an actual tournament between players with the Pokèmon League as the final obstacle against NPC-trainers. (Of course you would need the 8 badges in all regions to enter the elite four for that particular region, so I would have hoped each gym and E4 would scale depending on how many badges you currently have, so you won't just come in from Kanto having just beaten Viridian Gym and then steamroll the first gym in Jotho with its level 10 bird pokèmon).

Frankly I'm surprised they haven't tried before. Aside from the fact that most MMOs since World of Warcraft flopped, Pokèmon is a massive cash-cow in and of itself.
True Nintendo isn't known for making PC-games if it comes to that, but MMOs have been released on console before.

Pokemon has an amazing multiplayer potential and it would be a shame if it wasn't expanded upon. Remember that the main idea behind Pokemon was playing with your friends, and if GF manages to pull it off I can smell a huge critical and commercial hit coming.

I'm not sure what you mean by "multiplayer potential" because the games already have that. We can battle and trade with anyone we want. Also, the focus of the games is not exactly "to play with your friends", but to battle and trade with your friends. The main storyline is for us to complete on our own and adding a multiplayer aspect to the story would be difficult for people who don't know anyone that plays Pokemon.

Plus, being able to see other players and battle them at anytime isn't as great as it sounds. The thought of battling someone online with a team of 6 hacked Legendary Pokemon who is running through every challenge like it was nothing doesn't sound fun at all.

I've been thinking about this lot how it could work. I would have liked it to be similar to the original games with of course better graphics and the ability to see other players and challenge them whenever you meet with similar battle systems as the other console games.

As I said, seeing hundreds of hacked teams clearing every challenge and beating everyone isn't fun.

You can get the choice between starting in five different regions, Kanto, Jotho, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova, each determines which starter you get and with the ability to travel to other regions once you've gotten to a certain point (I expect after getting 8 badges in your home region). New regions may be added as expansion packs later.
This may just sound like a remake of the previous gens with the added luxury of interacting directly with other players but come on who wouldn't love to see that? :3

I would hate to see every region in one game. That would make the past 17 years of games worthless. It's part of what makes each generation unique. Besides, I believe Game Freak supposedly has said it will never include all regions in 1 game.

Frankly I'm surprised they haven't tried before.

I'm actually not surprised. Pokemon has been well received on the handhelds, despite the very little true changes that have been introduced to the franchise since its start. People love battling each other the way they do now, so there is no reason to change it, besides the fact that they don't make PC games.

Pokemon games are better on handhelds IMO

However, I think it would be pretty neat to go ahead and make a game in which you can visit any region, and connect with others around the world and play with them (like actually walk through regions togetherm team up, etc.)

That's just me though. Oh, and make every Pokemon a Rattata :D

Massive I agree with. I want to be able to go from region to region, not stay in one place for the whole game! Multiplayer and online, however, I do not. I don't know any people with whom I could multiplayer, and my Internet is too slow for games that must be played online. Not that anyone cares about my personal opinion, though...

If Monster Hunter 3G and 4 are anything close to their PSP counterparts, then a game similar to MMO is very much possible on 3DS as well. I share the same sentiments as the OP and I really, really hope GameFreak will try to delve into that area with the next generation. Pokemon has an amazing multiplayer potential and it would be a shame if it wasn't expanded upon. Remember that the main idea behind Pokemon was playing with your friends, and if GF manages to pull it off I can smell a huge critical and commercial hit coming.
LOLOLOL HAX! :p

When Junichi Masuda and Ken Sugimori were interviewed by ONM last year, they were asked about the possibilities of an MMO. Iirc, they said they had looked into it before. So essentially, no you can not has MMO.

In regards to what platform one could be on - numerous developers have cited that the Wii U could be great for MMOs (Dragon Quest X being announced for both Wii and Wii U already). However, GameFreak don't want to move the main series away from handhelds.

If you mean something like World of Pokemon... No, I don't think that is something that will ever happen. As has been stated, Nintendo wouldn't release a game for PC (lol, a Pokemon game being released for Microsoft Windows).

However, I wouldn't write off MMO features being added into future Pokemon games. For instance, particular areas could be reserved for local wireless/Wi-Fi. Upon selecting the area you'd wish to play in, you're dropped into the chosen location populated with however many other players. This is where the matchmaking capabilities of the 3DS could come into play, pairing players together based on selected parameters. From there, you can interact with the other players in a variety of ways (Trading, Battling, Minigames, "Missions", etc). Obviously interaction would be somewhat limited, due to the children who would also be present and taking part. Unique Pokemon and Items could then augment the experience, keeping players busy with the games for longer; factor in DLC, and it makes a lot of sense from a financial standpoint for Game Freak and Nintendo to consider further fleshing out the multiplayer experience.

I would love a PC Pokemon MMO, but it's sadly unlikely to happen. If it did, and it was done well, it would definitely be my number 1 favourite game. :3

First off, I don't see why they couldn't make an MMORPG for the DS or 3DS. What would be stopping them... hardware limitations? I don't know much about these systems from a technical standpoint but I would think that they'd be able to pull it off... if they can't then certainly they could for the Wii (although then you have the problem of it not being handheld).

Would I like to see one? That depends... if its basically a World of Warcraft clone then no, I really don't find those sorts of games to be fun (although I did like Pirates Online until I maxed out everything in the free version and didn't feel like paying).
However, if it's a 2D turn-based game, basically excactly the same as the main games but with the capabilities of seing other people walking around and being able to talk to them to start a battle, then sure. Except doing it this way would be very difficult to add in something like a boss who needs to be attacked by like 40 people simutaneously. They could add simple co-op features like the kinds of stuff Four Swords has though.

If an MMORPG was made then I'd like to see it as a side-game, not a main game though. That's one thing I don't like about Final Fantasy... they have an online game as one of the main numbered games in the series. Which isn't right... if someone wanted to play every main game but simply was unable to connect to the internet then he wouldn't be able to, which is definitely not fair. Also the game experience varies depending on who happens to be online at the time, etc. Certain things might not even be beatable at a specific time that you get on (i.e. if no one else is on, or only low-levelled players are on) and it's completely unreasonable to have a main game that isn't even beatable.

And
And I don't mean some fan crap either. I mmean a real, first-party MMO, maybe with the help of some subsidary or other studio.
You got something against fan games? They aren't all crap, some can be pretty high-quality. It really depends on who makes it. The problem usually comes from the fact that programmers / coders aren't always good graphics people / artists, so you might have a game that is perfectly coded and plays really well but the graphics are horrible, making the game "crap" (or the other way around, someone really good with graphics might make an awesome-looking game but if he's bad with code it won't have as many good features or it might lag a lot, making the game "crap"). But if you do get someone good with code and graphics, or if you put together a good team, then you can get a high-quality fan game which can match or even exceed the quality of the official game company.
However, the game may or may not be legal... it's sort of a gray area between fair use and copyright infringement. Much like how fan art and fanfics are, although companies rarely go after fan art / fanfics and are more likely to go after fan games.

I personally haven't seen a good fan game, don't get butthurt.

Okay why are people saying it has to be on pc. Hasn't anybody hearted of Nintendo network? For those who haven't it is like Xbox live for 3ds and wii u. Plus it has been already said that the wii u will be capable of mmos so yea. They wouldn't have to change anything just make it so all those other people playing would fit in the same region. With the power of ds and wii u they could do that. They either put in all the regions and make them more detailed and larger or give it a new huge MEGA REGION .

Absolutely not. I used to wonder why there were no Pokemon games for the PS2 (when I was way younger), and that would explain why they would never make one for PC. Other game companies sure don't help Nintendo out, so why should Nintendo help out their competitors? It's an interesting concept, but there are enough fan-based and official online things already, but I don't see this ever happening unless Microsoft/Apple buys Nintendo.

I just don't think it would work very well on another system either; unless there was actually some decent content, like on XD/Colosseum. Battle Revolution is fun, but it gets old.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom