• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

We should have about 600 total Pokemon with this generation

That would most likely be the common rodent or common bird.

If its the common rodent then there is even more reason to not like it. Well actually Linoone wasnt a bad design to me. The other rodents are ugly.

The Hoenn old:new ratio was 38:something, if i recall. We'll probably see around 40 oldies and a lot of new pokemon.

I wanna go off of your math, but make some changes.
17 Playable Types
5 fully battle ready (minimum for all types.)
17*5=85 Fully Battle ready pokemon
add another 3 for some types (most underused, those that need more pokemon. I counted 9) as a minimum.
3*9=27
27+85=112

112 fully evolved, non-legendary pokemon.

half of them have 1 pre-evolution

half of them have a mid-line evolution

112+33+66=211

211 fully evolved pokemon including their evolutionary line.

Legendaries.
Legendary Trio = 3
Legendary Duo = 2
Single Legendary = 1 (like Celebi and Arceus)
Optional: Non-related Legendary Pokemon (follows the myth but don't fit into a single group) = 2-4

Legendaries total 6-10 (counting 4 non-related legendary pokemon)

211+6(10)= 217(221)

217 to 221 total new pokemon at this point.

Now bear with me, this bit is a bit weird. Take the number of pokemon added for each generation, and divide it by the generation number, which is again divided again to get a single digit. X=number of pokemon, G=generation it came from, Y=calculated value, @=rounded by adding all digits together repeatedly until a single digit is produced. Formula: (XXX*G)/100=Y@ NOTE: The final value will be additional random novelty pokemon addded to Gen 5, and as such, will not be counted in the below equations, or become part of the Gen 5 Variables.

Gen 1: (151*1)/100=1.51@=1+5+1=7
Gen 2: (251*2)/100=5.02@=5+0+2=7
Gen 3: (386*3)/100=11.58@=1+1+5+8=15@=1+5=6
Gen 4: (493*4)/100=19.72@=1+9+7+2=19@=1+9=10@=1+0=1
Gen 5 (no optional legendaries): (710*5)/100=33.5@=3+3+5=11@=1+1=2
Gen 5 (plus maximum optional legendaries): (714*8)/100=35.7@=3+5+7=15@=1+5=6

Equation answers added together for Gen 5 Novelty pokemon
7+7+6+1+2=23+710=733 Total Pokemon with the introduction of Generation 5 (240 introduced in Gen 5)
7+7+6+1+6=27+710=737 Total pokemon with the introduction of Generation 5 (244 introduced in Gen 5 with the total of random legendaries)

Now I know that this is a large number. And much of those variables are at my own discretion. But all in all, any number of new pokemon between 240 or 244 and 148 (Took d.aisuke's number and subtracted 30.) would be reasonable.
Holy Hell.
I love you.
148-244 new pokemon would be beyond ideal.
I'd love that.
As for the people who think we have enough/have too many...
Really?
Seriously?
How many types of Different animals exist in the real world?
Just think how many breeds of domestic dogs exist?
It's not like more pokemon cause you phsyical harm or something.

Sometimes I just feel like it would be great if they would have a generation where no current pokemon are able to be caught. Give us 150 or 200 new ones. Just feel like it would be refreshing. Wouldn't happen, but being able to only make up a team of new pokemon would be fun.
NEIN NEIN NEIN
I'll go for that if
A) Some old pokemon are still obtainable
B) It's possible to trade old pokemon at any point in the game (ala DPPT HGSS, NOT FRLG&E)
C) Old pokemon are availible in game post-scenario.

That was RS' strongest point, but also it's weakest.
I "stopped" being a pokemon fan when I found out that all of my favorite pokemon were unobtainable in RS, and basically "ceased" to exist.
Had it been explained that games in which you can catch them were on the way, I may not of felt that way.

@d.aisuke, each pokemon can have two types, so you can half your calculation for a minimum number of new pokemon you want. Although clearly not every pokemon will
For example

Electric/Flying (non-legendary)
Fire/Poison
Grass/Dragon
Rock/Ghost
Ice/Psychic
Bug/Ground
Water/Fighting
Dark/Steel

These 8 type combinations gives a new competitive viable pokemon for each type(except normal).

Also a large number of pokemon have evolutions, around 80-90% compared to the 50% of your calculations. However you may want many new evolutions of existing pokemon like Gen IV, which it doesn't seem like the case from your post, but isn't necessarily a bad thing because there are still quite a few pokemon that can use the evolution boost. Although I think there would need to be a decent balance of no more than 20% of the total of the new pokemon that are related to already existing pokemon if this was to happen.

So your calculation should be more on the lines of

(6x17 x 0.2) + (6x17 x 0.8 / 2) = 61 Total number of fully evolved pokemon assuming 8o% are dual types.
61 + (61 x 0.8) + (61 x 0.8 x 0.5) = 145 Total number of new pokemon assuming 80% of pokemon evolve and a further 50% have another evolution.

Then 10-15 new legendary pokemon (unless you want to consider these as part of your competitively viable pokemon) = 155-160 new pokemon.

I personally don't think there should be more than the original series of 150 pokemon though, so I think that the ideal number of new pokemon is around 120-140 new pokemon. If you can deal with 5 competitive viable pokemon instead of 6, using the above calculation the total ends up being 123 (includes 10 legendary pokemon). This also leaves room for 10-15 new pre-evo/evolutions to existing pokemon and still stay within my optimum range, which could also increase the average of new competitively viable pokemon per type back up to 6.
A few things.
First off, I chose the number 5 because that's how many pokemon are on the average pokemon team.

While I do think it would be akward to have more than 151 new pokemon introduced in a generation, I still think it'd be great, there simply aren't enough pokemon.

As far as multiple types, I do want more type combos (and new combos at that), but I don't want every new pokemon to be a dual type.
I want diversity-single types, old type combos new type combos.

But since we're discussing it, I personally want to see

Electric
Electric/Psychic
Electric/Dark
Electric/Steel (please be a fast mammal)
Electric/Dragon
Electrc/Ground
Electric/Ice
Electric/Fire
Electric /Poison
Electric/Grass
Dark/Psychic
Dark/Steel
Dark/Dragon
Dark/Fire
Psychic/Ice
Psychi/Steel
As you can see, quite a few of those combos already exist, but there's room for more.

I'm sure its obvious, my favorite types are Electric and Dark, and I prefer mammalian pokemon.

I don't wanna run into Tentacool all the time.
This is the dream.
Psyduck, Abra, Machop, Zubat, Geodude, Tentacool.
I want them to GTFO

Here's what I don't want to see: A bunch of new National Dex exclusive evolutions like they did with D&P. I know they included quite a few of them in Platinum's regional dex, but it was really annoying the first go around. They need to limit any new pokies to the regional.
Now, hold on there buddy.

I liked that idea, one of my favorite parts of DP.

It was like there were "secret" pokemon that didn't require an outrageous event.
That said, I want more pokemon so more can be obtainable at different times.

Say there are 170 new pokemon.

150 new pokemon+50 old pokemon= Regional dex
20 new pokemon+443 old pokemon obtainable post-scenario/after the Elite 4

It not olny give motivation to finish the game, it's like a bonus after you finish the main part of the game.
...Like Kantou in GSC

Last edited:
Mr 1337 gave me a whole new insight. we will have 61x pokemon, see this, and check the game names.

600/650 wow! That's a lot of Pokemon compared to the Old School 150 PokeRap!

Just think, sooner or later there will be over 1000 pokemon! DX

Yeah but pokemon is made in AMERICA by AMERICANS.

http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/

OH YEAH THEY'RE TOTALLY AMERICAN.

アメリカ人!!!

..Um yeah I don't think so..

or were you being sarcastic, because if you were being serious you might want to double check your facts...

..EDIT:Oh I'm not really contributing to the '600 Pokemon' side of this thread am I.

I'm not really sure I didn't really like gen 3 but then again I'd like to see something different instead of Geodude,Tentacool,Pikachu wait & 'MAGIKARP'.

I'm not really good at maths so 107 new Pokemon sounds nice.

Last edited:
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/

OH YEAH THEY'RE TOTALLY AMERICAN.

アメリカ人!!!

..Um yeah I don't think so..

or were you being sarcastic, because if you were being serious you might want to double check your facts...

He was being more provocative than sarcastic, and he certainly wasn't being serious, but we tend to like him more than other people around here.

And that was precisely one of the things of why I liked Sapphire (and Generation III as a whole) so much. 135 new Pokémon with 65 from previous games was just good enough diversity for a game, which lead you to think into raising Pokémon from new species, not the same old, overrated stuff. If I'm going to play a brand new game, the last thing I want to do is assemble a team with the same Pokémon I used in a previous adventure, unless it's a remake.

This. I want to use an all-new gen team for my fights, encounter new wild Pokémon everywhere and be surprised instead of having again a Gyarados and Alakazam as my powerhouses and finding all cave sinfested with Geodude and Zubat. After all, that's why the National Dex and backward compatibility is for. But for the main quest, I want only Gen V Pokémon, to the degree Heonn did, if not greater.

Not to mention a little thing called logic:
1. The game series is called Pokémon, where Pokémon are the main focus.
2. This is a new game with new Pokémon.
3. Thus, the new Pokémon are (or at least must be) the main focus of this new game.

But then I have a 210 Dex where only 100 Pokemon (that is, less than half the total) are new (and in DP it was worse). That's quite dissapointing, to say the least.

Except the Hoenn games, I've ALWAYS ended with at least one Pokémon from a previous generation (Gyarados in GSC and HGSS, Alakazam, Espeon or Gardevoir in DPPt). I want a full 6 new Pokémon team. Will I ever have it?

I just hope to God they give us AT LEAST 135. The last generation really bummed me out, dropping down to 107? I'd think (and hope) they may aim for 150 again (since these games are suppose to be kind of a "fresh start" on things), but with our luck it'll be 107 again...with more stupid legendaries and all the interesting pokemon shoved at the end. ._.

DP added about 107 new Pokemon to bring it to 493 on top of the 386 that R/S totaled.

107 more would bring us to 600. Considering 100 Pokemon is the bare minimum they would give as new ones, add 7 or so more to that and we get 600.

How GameFreak expects little kids to fill a 600 Pokemon Pokedex is beyond me, but as the series continues its to be expected.

I actually love it and think its a good thing. Its makes completing the pokédex not only more of a challenge but more of an achievement to be able to brag about too.

I just wish there were less legendaries. Its now getting to the point where they're really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel, especially with psychic legends. And they're abundance and levels off accessibility within the game kinda makes them less "legendary" to me.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom