• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Huh. I always headcanoned Lugia as merely the overseers of the Legendary Birds. Whereveer there is a trio of Legendary Birds, there is a Lugia to deal with them if they ever get too rowdy.
Personally I see the Birds as favoured servants of Lugia. Basically almost any Lugia that gets sent on PokeEarth ends up leading a Birds Trio - but not every Bird Trio has a Lugia as master, and they don't even always form trios.

Don't try and tell me none of you blasted through the leaguse with your newly caught legendary.

It's kind of impossible to use the legendary mascot during the League in Black and White without trading for them. Although, it is possible to use any of the Swords of Justice during it though.

Don't try and tell me none of you blasted through the leaguse with your newly caught legendary.
I don't. I prefer to use Pokémon I caught and not go the easy way. The one time I tried was in Sapphire and Kyogre gave a fight against all of the E4 even underleveled.

EDIT: Okay, not all of them. I stopped at Glacia.

Thing is, sure, it is possible in games - but anime made the point of showing how generally speaking any Pokemon, legendary or not, that is powerful enough to just massacre everything in its way like that, is also far too powerful to be caught. We've already seen many times that as strong as legendaries are, they can still be beaten with right tactics (case in point: Noland's Articuno, Brandon's Regis, most if not all movie legendaries). Tobias just waltzing in and being able to plow through the entire league with just one Pokemon simply because it's legendary doesn't at all mesh with what we've seen of legendaries up to this point. Especially with how much smaller Sinnoh League was compared to the previous ones (64 participants, as opposed to around 300 in Kanto, Johto and Hoenn) despite it being strongly implied that Sinnoh League is far more popular than the others (Cynthia being a celebrity due to her champion status as opposed to largely unknown Steven and Lance or Wallace being famed mostly for his participation in contests, E4 being similarly widely known to everyone rather than just trainers) - which in turn would imply the entry level for Sinnoh League was far higher, and logicaly there should be more potential roadblocks on Tobias's way than just Ash due to trainers participating in the league being generally far more skilled than those in previous three leagues.

Thing is, sure, it is possible in games - but anime made the point of showing how generally speaking any Pokemon, legendary or not, that is powerful enough to just massacre everything in its way like that, is also far too powerful to be caught. We've already seen many times that as strong as legendaries are, they can still be beaten with right tactics (case in point: Noland's Articuno, Brandon's Regis, most if not all movie legendaries). Tobias just waltzing in and being able to plow through the entire league with just one Pokemon simply because it's legendary doesn't at all mesh with what we've seen of legendaries up to this point. Especially with how much smaller Sinnoh League was compared to the previous ones (64 participants, as opposed to around 300 in Kanto, Johto and Hoenn) despite it being strongly implied that Sinnoh League is far more popular than the others (Cynthia being a celebrity due to her champion status as opposed to largely unknown Steven and Lance or Wallace being famed mostly for his participation in contests, E4 being similarly widely known to everyone rather than just trainers) - which in turn would imply the entry level for Sinnoh League was far higher, and logicaly there should be more potential roadblocks on Tobias's way than just Ash due to trainers participating in the league being generally far more skilled than those in previous three leagues.
The title literally asks for the game headcannons though, so I’m not sure how this connects to the other posts.

The entire discussion about whether or not Tobias deserves to be treated as not canon regards anime and not games, since Tobias was an anime-only character. That's how. Sure, the entire discussion was off topic - but it was sparked by a game headcanon.

The entire discussion about whether or not Tobias deserves to be treated as not canon regards anime and not games, since Tobias was an anime-only character. That's how. Sure, the entire discussion was off topic - but it was sparked by a game headcanon.
Oh... I didn’t read through the older posts when I saw the new ones and lost the flow of conversation. Sorry for the uncalled for remark.

should be more potential roadblocks on Tobias's way than just Ash due to trainers participating in the league being generally far more skilled than those in previous three leagues.
But none of those people have SPECIAL PROTAGONIST POWERS. I'm kidding.

I mean, it's pretty likely that Ash proved a challenge for Tobias because Ash has encountered both Pokemon before and generally has experience with legendary Pokemon because apparently he freaking attracts them.

But none of those people have SPECIAL PROTAGONIST POWERS. I'm kidding.

I mean, it's pretty likely that Ash proved a challenge for Tobias because Ash has encountered both Pokemon before and generally has experience with legendary Pokemon because apparently he freaking attracts them.
To be honest Ash hardly posed a challenge for Tobias since Tobias came out victorious with 4 remaining Pokémon. We're supposed to believe Ash was actually a powerful trainer and one of the people to come up with Darkrai-specific strategies (Heracross' sleep talk).

I don’t seem to recall anything that gave Ash an edge in that battle because of his past experience battling Legendaries. He just came in prepared with a dual type who Darkrai was really weak against with a sleep-proof moveset, and some other powerful Pokémon.

In my defense I never watched that episode. I just think it's a bit hypocritical to criticize him for using a legendary when many people have done it themeselves. I did it myself (though, granted, I don't anymore).

Besides, if it was really cheating than they wouldn't have let him in in the first place.

In my defense I never watched that episode. I just think it's a bit hypocritical to criticize him for using a legendary when many people have done it themeselves. I did it myself (though, granted, I don't anymore).

Besides, if it was really cheating than they wouldn't have let him in in the first place.
I quite literally watched it right now and the only tactful Darkrai-specific choice was Heracross.
Well, it’s criticised because capturing legendary and mythical Pokemon themselves has been considered unethical in it for a long time. There's difference in the anime and the games in that instant.

The anime would disapprove of Pokémon that only exist to do manual labour for their trainer without any meaningful use other than getting a beating while the trainer revives the stronger Pokémon (HM slaves).

To be fair, there were already legendary Pokemon who had human partners long before the modern trainers caught them.

And for some reason Silvally is considered a legendary pokemon. At least, by Bulbapedia.
And they do that because the Game's code puts it in the same category as the "minor" Legendaries like the birds and the beasts.
I'd personally class it as a non-legendary Pokémon, or make it slightly more powerful and useful enough to be classed as a legendary.

Yeah I really don't get why it could be classified as a legendary. I mean, my headcanon is that it's a failed attempt to clone Arceus and they had to use even more extra dna than Team Rocket had to with Mewtwo but that doesn't make it a legendary. Mewtwo is a legendary because it's arguably the most powerful Pokemon in existance (Mega Rayquaza laughs in it's face). Silvally is... not even close to a legendaries power. At best it's a mythical. At worst it's just a relatively powerful normal Pokemon who's only real uniqueness is its memories.

Back
Top Bottom