• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What canon do you break?

Hmm ... Well, I can't think of too much canon that I break so much as bend in my original region fannovel or even my Johto-base one. Most of it is applying old knowledge in a new way, although in Erana (my region) there are nine gyms.

You only -have- to take on one of the two types, Dark or Dragon, to get into the league. But having a badge from both skirts you past the preliminary rounds. Of course, those two gyms are also the hardest in the entire region.

Canon? What's that... :D

I'm kidding. In my opinion, any fic breaks from the canon since it adds to, goes in a different direction then or is inspired by the canon. Nobody is gonna just retell what's already been told, the writer is gonna add some original element, something that makes the story, the characters, the plot, theirs.

To me, the only important thing is to have a head canon (what elements you take from the canon and what elements you discard) and stick to that, be consistent to that.

Actually, I have no problem with breaking canon. But there is one main rule for me: BE CONSISTENT. Break one element of the canon the same way through out your entire story.

Parasitic Trio (my ficseries, which I started a thread about) still has yet to be written, but from the games, it will warp canon in all kinds of ways. I won't be surprised if I miss any, but here goes:

1) Events in GSC happen simultaneously with those in FRLG and RSE. Events in DPP happen right afterwards.

2) The guards in Kanto aren't thirsty. Not sure what their reason is yet for blocking off Saffron City (or at least why Ellen will explore the Rock Tunnel).

3) The PAL Park is now a five-day competition to happen after the mains defeat the Sinnoh Elite Four. Each day, a contest is held for one of five elements: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, and Life. The objective is to capture six unowned Pokemon in each contest, and rare Pokemon merit more points than common ones. 2nd and 3rd place winners for each contest gets one of ten canon items that, in the games, can only be obtained through events or hacking. 1st place gets a medieval treasure (Anyone heard of SwordQuest?) that can summon a certain Pokemon, which can then activate an event somewhere. Whoever gets the highest grand total of points throughout the competition gets a shield which can summon Arceus for the Sinjoh Ruins event.

4) Ellen, the main character from Kanto, will start out in the black dress she originally wore in the manga. Much later on, she will wear a blue sundress with a heart-shaped neckline.

5) When the mains arrive at Sinnoh, they will travel entirely different paths than one normally takes in the games.

6) There is only one of each elemental plate. Those originally in Sinnoh's Underground will be replaced with gemstones (which change the type of any Pokemon's Normal attacks that holds them) and a few other things.

7) The ceremony that Team Galactic performs on Spear Pillar involves Cyrus growing in size to become a cosmic giant. The main characters and their Sinnoh friends must perform a similar ritual in order to stop him from growing and to allow Ellen to grow herself.

8) After Cyrus is shrunk back down to size, he doesn't get away. Uxie outright kills him.

9) "Light" is now a type. A handful of Pokemon have had one type changed to this, or were given this if they only were one type to begin with.

10) Two more elemental plates: Blank (for Normal) and Hero (for Light). The former is received by Jamie while he travels from Johto to Kanto on the S.S. Aqua (right before traveling with Ellen to Sinnoh aboard the S.S. Anne). Jamie finds the latter on Cyrus after Uxie kills him.

11) Dialga and Palkia can only be awakened when the main characters return to Spear Pillar with all eighteen elemental plates, after already having fought the Elite Four and challenged the PAL Park.

12) Instead of having gone to the lakes to find the pixies, Team Galactic invades them to take a statue hostage, which have the power to restore the lakes if they are drained. This is how they bait the main characters and attempt to capture their pixie partners.

13) TMs and HMs work somewhat differently than in the games. They can also be bought at all PokeMarts, but whichever ones any given Mart has is random.

14) Skateboarding and roller blading is now possible as a substitute for biking.

15) Pokemon can retain as many moves as they learn naturally or are taught, but can only be taught a limited number of moves based on their level and evolution.

16) Ellen will be shipped with Jamie, not with his rival "Silver" (who will be renamed Jonathan for the ficseries).

Bound to be more that I'm missing or haven't established yet.

Why in the world will Cyrus become a giant and not squish the Spirit Trio? It's the kind of thing he'd do, besides doing things like summoning Dialga and Palkia for his goal, restarting the universe. Giants can't do that. Plus, this proves my point. Uxie is a sadist.

Based on your description, as well, I should hope that your characters don't have to go through the Seafoam Islands, Ice Path, that Hoenn Ice Cave, Route 216 & 217, Snowpoint City, and Lake Acuity.

EDIT: I'm going to add that I'm going to make the Hidden Land have all sorts of biomes on it, and the gym leaders, professors, legendaries, and Pallet Town will all live there for the fight against Genosect and 'M.

I generally change things to be more realistic,and do more "expansion" than "breaking" - some examples:

- Trainers aren't restricted to the normal three starting 'mon.
- There is a system in place that gives trainers league-funded "stipends." Without going into detail, the system supports trainer activity for one year before making it fiscally impractical outside of a career choice.
- Compared to "earth standard," humans develop mental maturity faster and have more physical endurance (this helps a lot with believability).
- There are several ways to qualify for the Pokémon League tournament, including the traditional collection of Gym Badges and ranking first in monthly Battle Tower competitions.
- I generally take from the anime for scale - i.e. it takes at least a week on average to walk between cities, assuming a relatively quick pace, and there are smaller towns between the major (game-based) ones.

This is just the stuff off the top of my head.

As for general history, I like to keep a general hierarchy of manga > games > anime that varies depending on the "version of the story" that I prefer. The manga and game characters are counted as one in the same, with Ash being rewritten as a solo traveler with an affinity for being around whenever Legendaries are on the move. Depending on the story, though, this hasn't happened yet.

Why in the world will Cyrus become a giant and not squish the Spirit Trio? It's the kind of thing he'd do, besides doing things like summoning Dialga and Palkia for his goal, restarting the universe. Giants can't do that. Plus, this proves my point. Uxie is a sadist.

Based on your description, as well, I should hope that your characters don't have to go through the Seafoam Islands, Ice Path, that Hoenn Ice Cave, Route 216 & 217, Snowpoint City, and Lake Acuity.

Okay, even though you're probably not gonna read Parasitic Trio, let me clear up that the mains will not be spending the entire ficseries naked. Only every so often. (And certainly not in icy places like the ones you specified.)

Hey, I did say that Dusknoir would possibly review, correct? That only happens if I've read the story and a significant twist has been reached.

As for specifics: in DPPt, you have to go to Lake Acuity to fight Team Galactic. If you decide to avoid fighting Jupiter altogether, I guess that's not a problem, but fighting Cyrus' normal team will be a problem for the trio.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom