• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do fans think now about Pokemon that are fire/fighting?

What do You think about the dual typing fire/fighting now?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
The Fire/Fighting combination itself is fine. It works and I do like the Fire/Fighting starters, including the Tepig line, even though that took awhile. The problem comes down to how it's limited to the Fire starters and they did it three times in a row. The last part is a pretty huge aspect of the problem and a big reason why fans are tired of seeing a Fire/Fighting starter. If there was a break in-between each of the Fire/Fighting starters, like say Blaziken happened and then Infernape or something like it didn't happen until another generation, then that might have helped a bit. It probably also doesn't help matters that for the first four generations, there weren't a lot of Fire types to find in the wild, so your choices were limited if you wanted to have a Fire type on your team.

I wouldn't be against seeing the combination for some non-starter Pokemon. I just don't think it should be used as another starter again due to how they've already done it three times in a row and they can provide more interesting combinations for their starters.

See I don't know about the lack of fire types in the first 3 generations. There were a lot of fire types in Gen I and III. But IV easily there were a lack of. It was either Chimchar or Ponyta

There were a few options in the first two generations, most of which I forgot about beforehand. Looking through a list of Fire Pokemon, I think that the choices really started to get smaller in the third generation. The third generation only gave the Torchic, Numel and Torkoal lines, although it did include the Slugma line too. The fourth generation definitely made the lack of Fire Pokemon really apparent when your best choices were either Chimchar or Ponyta. Fortunately, the fifth generation did have a few more Fire type lines, which made it easier to not choose Tepig if you didn't want to, so that helped a bit.

It learns quite a few Fighting moves and certainly has the fists and muscles to suit one. Looking at the options, here are my thoughts:

I want a Fire/Fighting starter: No. Just no. I don't want a Fighting-type starter at all. We've had three Fire-type ones in a row from Gens 3 to 5, and a Grass one in 6. What's more, Chesnaught was a big letdown for me. Loads of weaknesses, so it didn't get a chance to really shine in its final form. I ended up boxing it and getting a Trevenant. Water/Fighting could be alright, but it would need to be quite different from Poliwrath for me to consider it. Then again, four Fighting starters in a row is a lot.

Never again a Fire/Fighting starter: I disagree with this too, however. Fire/Fighting is a good combo, and I'm open to new Pokémon of that combo. I just don't think now is the time for a Fighting starter, let alone a fourth Fire/Fighting one. Maybe eventually, definitely not now.

I want a Fire/Fighting legendary: I can take or leave it.

There could be more, but not starters: Absolutely. I'm actually surprised that Darmanitan isn't a Fire/Fighting Pokémon in its standard form and would have welcomed that as a Fighting-type. A new one could be good too.

I want a Fire/??? starter that's secondary type is _: Yes on Ground, Steel, Dark, Ghost, Fairy or Poison, meh on Electric.

It learns quite a few Fighting moves and certainly has the fists and muscles to suit one. Looking at the options, here are my thoughts:

I want a Fire/Fighting starter: No. Just no. I don't want a Fighting-type starter at all. We've had three Fire-type ones in a row from Gens 3 to 5, and a Grass one in 6. What's more, Chesnaught was a big letdown for me. Loads of weaknesses, so it didn't get a chance to really shine in its final form. I ended up boxing it and getting a Trevenant. Water/Fighting could be alright, but it would need to be quite different from Poliwrath for me to consider it. Then again, four Fighting starters in a row is a lot.

Never again a Fire/Fighting starter: I disagree with this too, however. Fire/Fighting is a good combo, and I'm open to new Pokémon of that combo. I just don't think now is the time for a Fighting starter, let alone a fourth Fire/Fighting one. Maybe eventually, definitely not now.

I want a Fire/Fighting legendary: I can take or leave it.

There could be more, but not starters: Absolutely. I'm actually surprised that Darmanitan isn't a Fire/Fighting Pokémon in its standard form and would have welcomed that as a Fighting-type. A new one could be good too.

I want a Fire/??? starter that's secondary type is _: Yes on Ground, Steel, Dark, Ghost, Fairy or Poison, meh on Electric.

I think Chesnaught is UU so he isn't completely useless (I boxed him as well in the post game). His bulletproof ability is nice as well. Breloom is better if you like sweepers lol.

I'd be interested in a fire/fighting starter if it is as good as, or better than Blaziken, but that is a lot to ask for.

I mean it would be interesting to see a dark or fairy type. The electric secondary means 4x weak to ground (as would fire/steel). If it has levitate, I'll be gold. (oh wait that's rotom) lol

The electric secondary means 4x weak to ground

fire/electric can get Bounce and good speed status plus we have Magnet Rise as a move.

A fire/steel could also get Magnet Rise or a totally new ability.
Plus we have many other pokes with 4x weak to something alredy, even to grass.

The type itself is fine. If it were on a Pokemon other than a starter I wouldn't care at all. And if they did the design well enough I wouldn't hate another Fire/Fighting starter. (Not saying I want it, but if it did happen) I mean I love Emboar because I love its design, but I don't like Infernape due to thinking the design is ugly. Plus I hate monkies.

to poll shows what people want. Design... no more fire/fighting starters we tolerated them, liked them but want something else and more interesting the poll shows it clearly.

Last edited:
I think Chesnaught is UU so he isn't completely useless (I boxed him as well in the post game). His bulletproof ability is nice as well. Breloom is better if you like sweepers lol.

I'd be interested in a fire/fighting starter if it is as good as, or better than Blaziken, but that is a lot to ask for.

I mean it would be interesting to see a dark or fairy type. The electric secondary means 4x weak to ground (as would fire/steel). If it has levitate, I'll be gold. (oh wait that's rotom) lol
Bulletproof isn't a factor when it comes to how good Chesnaught is as a starter, though. Similarly, he may be UU but that's only under Smogon's tier list. Could be a different story altogether in VGC, but either way, that's got nothing to do with how useful it is as a starter Pokémon in-game.

As a starter, I'd say Infernape is better than non-Mega Blaziken. More speed and Close Combat are pretty big advantages.

A Fire/Fairy anything would be cool. My concern with Fire/Electric is that it would give them STAB to take on the Water starter with, unless it had a type or ability that got rid of that particular weakness.

I wouldn't mind more fire/fighting types, as long as they aren't starters. I would rather have fire starters with different dual typings. I don't really care what typing it is as long as it fits the Pokemon and hasn't been done with a starter before (at least until they start running out of new combinations).

As someone who almost exclusively chooses fire starters when I play pokemon, since they're usually my favorite of the trio: We need about 10 generations before I'll be cool with a Fire/Fighting starter again. We had 3 IN A ROW. We good now. We have enough.

I absolutely, positively do not want to see a fire/fighting starter for a long time. There are much more intersting type combos for starters. Where's my fire/electric starter?

Next 6 generations can give us Fire/Fighting starters, lol. Water/Fighting starter hasn't been done though.

Fire/FIghting; great as a normal type combination, kinda stale and seeming like a crutch for starters, tho

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom