• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you dislike about Fourth Gen?

Oh and yeah, I never honey'ed a tree; I got my Combee via GTS. The others were just palparked (and got my Snorlax bred for Munchlax, of course).

Oh geez, I completely forgot about Pal Park. That completely fixes my Munchlax issue... Still, the honey system sucks.

-Excesive underdevelopment of the original versions for the sake of the third one. While Japanese Blue, Yellow, Crystal and Emerald were made for providing extra features for each of their counterparts and adding overall new elements to the franchise, Platinum didn't introduce -as far as I'm concerned- anything new, but just fixed the underdevelopment of DP which look awfully inferior compared to the third version. The reasons? An unfinished storyline that had to wait until Platinum to find its climax (Emerald only unified the variant plots of RS, but each one alone had a climax and a fine resolution), the worst regional Pokédex ever (exlucind Pokémon introduced IN THAT GENERATION!!). It seemed that Game Freak were running out of ideas when developing DP but didn't wanted to wait too long for releasing the games and so they threw us sketchy versions of the game, which was only finished by the time of Platinum (that could explain why Platinum took so long to be released: they were thinking how to mend DP and it took them a lot of time to think of fresh ideas).

I think it was Scott? And I, that both brought this up in another thread. This was such a fail on their part. They left out so many features for the sake of making the third game shine. In actuality, it didn't do anything "extra amazing", it was just adding what the first two should've already had.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about honey trees. Those things were one of the worst things designed by Game Freak ever. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants to slap honey on a tree, then have to show up in six hours for their pokemon. Who wants to wait that long? Who is guaranteed to be playing when it's time to battle the pokemon? And the honey-exclusive pokemon sucked too. I'm completely unwilling to go through hours of this process for pokemon like Aimpom or Heracross or Munchlax. And if they don't show up in 6 hours, you have to do the entire process again! Geez, that was more of a rant on honey trees than anything. I could have just added "You Know What's BS?" to that to complete it.

^This!

One thing I don't like is the character design for Lucas. I hate it.

I don't get why everyone hates his design so much, I kinda like his design somehow...

I also like Lucas (I loooove his hat); not as much s previous male protagonists, but he's still decent to me. What I hated (and made me choose the female in Diamond) is his sprite in DP -it is horrible!

There really weren't enough fire pokemon. It was just Ponyta, Rapidash, and the Chimchar line.

I actually liked the design of Lucas in D/P more than Plat. In plat, he was much more blue-oriented with a wierd flipped-up collar style going on.

I actually liked the design of Lucas in D/P more than Plat. In plat, he was much more blue-oriented with a wierd flipped-up collar style going on.

After looking at his design from Platinum (I only own Diamond), I have to agree with this, he just looks stupid now.

lol, my why do people hate gen III thread got 2 sequels already xD

what I don't like about gen IV is:
-The lame pokémon (another fire/fight starter? come on!)
-stupid evolution methods. Like you can ever find out how sneasel evolves without internet? Also the evolution items like protector are only available once, which sucks.
-Legendaries. One word: LAME. At least heatran (lame pokémon), the lake trio, and also cresselia. Regigigas is a cool concept, but ruined with his ability.
-Stupid new evolutions. Why give dusclops a new evolution while it already was OU? Sableye/bannette needed an evolution so much more.
-also new split-svolutions suck. Glalie would rather have an evolution then a counterpart. Gallade shouldn't exist, male gardevoir just needed a form difference
-form differences are underused too, they could have done great things with it.
-secret bases are ruined. Sure capture the flag is nice, but battling people overworld was nicer, and better training. Big step back.
-Slow surf speed.
-removal of the cool dive.
-Having a lame elite four+champion (I know cynthia is fetish fuel for lot's of people, but not for me so...)
-Start adding the cool things in later games (look at all the hg/ss features)
-stupid safari zone
-stupid contests (where are my combo's?)
-Making sceptile useless (sorry, just had to mention it)

I hate Dawn in Gen IV.
WTF is with her hat?

Lol, first Lucas' hat isn't good and now Dawn's hat?
In comparison with Brendan's hat, Lucas' and Dawn's aren't that bad right?
I can understand Lucas though, but what is wrong with Dawn's hat?

I think Lucas' hat is fine, but Dawn's is just terrible.
It looks far too airy and "puffed up" and it looks like it's got it's own ponytail.

And why did I have to hate Lucas' hat just because most others do?

No I didn't meant YOU hated Lucas' hat. I just meant that some people were complaining about Lucas' hat, which is a complaint I heard often. I just thought it was funny that there are complaints about Dawn's hat now too, something I hadn't heard before:)

Well, Dawn's and Lucas's hats are kind of normal when looking at Brendan's, but Maze already said that. I mean, it was decent when I thought he was an albino, but since it was just a hat... it was really stupid.

But this is about Gen IV, so I digress.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom