• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think Overdrive will do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articwolf10

Reaction score
Since it's been confermed that W-Kyurem and B-Kyurem are Dragon/Ice. What do you think Overdrive will do? DO you think it will be their ability or will they keep pressure as their ability?

I think Overdrive will let them get a STAB boost from Fire/Electric move what do you guys think?

I say this:

Overdrive: If Kyurem's HP gets to 25% or less, of it's health, then power up Fire/Electric Type moves by 2x.

Basically, a more powerful version of Blaze, Overgrow, and Torrent. And also Swarm.

Remove the wasted turn when using Freeze Shock/Ice Burn as well as temporarily switching the user and move's Ice type with Electric/Fire. In Overdrive mode, the moves' animations would reflect the type change and the secondary effect would become freeze.

At least get rid of the charge up times of Freeze Shock/Ice Burn when in Overdrive. The mechanics for how to enter Overdrive could be the same as Shadow Pokemon and Hyper Mode in that series, seeing as the same requirements of overflowing emotions are there.

Either a type change to Fire/Electric temporarily replacing Ice, or simply the added effect of granting STAB on Fire/Electric moves. Either way is fine and grants STAB.

Considering that Reshiram and Zekrom both were given overdrive modes as well, and all that ended up being was sprite animation, these overdrives probably will only be there for animation purposes. I don't think they'll get anything not programmed into Black and White. Ice Burn and Freeze Shock were both in B/W, but couldn't be used, so I don't think we'll see a new ability.

I'm gonna bet it's only for the sprite animation, at least for now.

Considering that Reshiram and Zekrom both were given overdrive modes as well, and all that ended up being was sprite animation, these overdrives probably will only be there for animation purposes.
Reshiram and Zekrom didn't need to get STAB for other types, nor were they hindered by a negative effect associated with their signature moves. The two situations are not comparable.

Considering that Reshiram and Zekrom both were given overdrive modes as well, and all that ended up being was sprite animation, these overdrives probably will only be there for animation purposes.
Reshiram and Zekrom didn't need to get STAB for other types, nor were they hindered by a negative effect associated with their signature moves. The two situations are not comparable.

Doesn't matter. Dialga's Roar of Time left it unable to move after it is used, but Palkia's Spacial Rend did not. They haven't changed Solarbeam or Sky Attack just because people don't like waiting for them to charge. But yes, Overdrive was also used to describe Reshiram and Zekrom's alternate appearances.

I figure a new hold item will give Kyurem's formes a boost in Electric/Fire power like the orbs from the Sinnoh Dragons.

When you think about it, Roar of Time being that way makes total sense. It requires time in order to be used again and again. In any case, the signatures can't be compared to previous moves. Them needing to be charged up fits with Kyurem's theme of lack of energy, so once Kyurem has energy they should no longer need a charge.

While I can't say for certain of any type change, I'm almost certain that is how the moves will go as far as their charge times being removed.

Accually, I hope that you still have to charge to do Ice Burn or Freeze Shock. I sound totally crazy, psychocic, and everything else, but please listen to @voicerocker's logic.

Here's another one random one:

Overdrive: When damaged twice in a row (even by Poison or Burn) increases power of Fire/Electric Type Moves by 2x. If confused while Burned or Poison, increases Fire/Electric Type Moves by 3x.

When you think about it, Roar of Time being that way makes total sense. It requires time in order to be used again and again. In any case, the signatures can't be compared to previous moves. Them needing to be charged up fits with Kyurem's theme of lack of energy, so once Kyurem has energy they should no longer need a charge.

While I can't say for certain of any type change, I'm almost certain that is how the moves will go as far as their charge times being removed.

Ice Burn and Freeze Shock's power is 140. All powerful moves have some sort of negative effect to balance them out. Weaker attacks can be used often with no side effects, but I can't think of any move with power over 100 than either doesn't have a negative effect or has low accuracy. Moves that powerful naturally will require self-sacrifice or risks to use.

Ice Burn and Freeze Shock's power is 140. All powerful moves have some sort of negative effect to balance them out. Weaker attacks can be used often with no side effects, but I can't think of any move with power over 100 than either doesn't have a negative effect or has low accuracy. Moves that powerful naturally will require self-sacrifice or risks to use.
You mean like Bolt Strike and Blue Flare? Except their base power is 130 and they don't have any negative effects. Now, Freeze Shock and Ice Burn are a bit more powerful and have a higher chance of causing status, but the wasted turn is too great a handicap. Theoretically, Overdrive wouldn't be triggered instantly, so the moves wouldn't be broken.

Okay, here's what I think: Overdrive is the ability of Black/White Kyurem (remember, Giratina changed abilities when it changed forms).
Overdrive will activate when it's weak (like how Torrent, Blaze, Overgrow, and Swarm work). When it gets weak, those wires on it's back will come out and tap the electric/fire power within Black/White Kyurem (hopefully there will be an awesome animation when it happens).
What does Overdrive do? It changes Black/White Kyurem's type from Dragon/Ice to Dragon/Electric-Dragon/Fire. It also gives a power boost to all electric/fire attacks. Also, Freeze Shock/Ice Burn do NOT require a turn to charge up.

You mean like Bolt Strike and Blue Flare? Except their base power is 130 and they don't have any negative effects. Now, Freeze Shock and Ice Burn are a bit more powerful and have a higher chance of causing status, but the wasted turn is too great a handicap. Theoretically, Overdrive wouldn't be triggered instantly, so the moves wouldn't be broken.
Yes they do. The handicap is the low accuracy. Remember, they have 85% accuracy.

Bolt Strike and Blue Flare DO have a weakness, their 85% accuracy. See, all powerful moves have a negative aspect, even those. Getting rid of the charge phase of Ice Burn and Freeze Shock would make Kyurem too powerful.

Also, the way you guys are describing your thoughts on Overdrive suggest it will be a forme change. Why would a forme change get a forme change? The Overdrives are still classified as Black Kyurem and White Kyurem, hinting that they are not new formes, nor where they ever described as new formes.

When was this confirmed?

This morning. I saw it on Serebii.net.

Bolt Strike and Blue Flare DO have a weakness, their 85% accuracy. See, all powerful moves have a negative aspect, even those. Getting rid of the charge phase of Ice Burn and Freeze Shock would make Kyurem too powerful.
So the fact that Kyurem's moves have 5% more accuracy makes them broken? Again, Freeze Shock and Ice Burn are a bit better than their counterparts, but the current handicap is too great. As long as Overdrive isn't automatically triggered, it will keep Black and White Kyurem in check while making their signature moves competitively viable, which they currently are not.

Also, the way you guys are describing your thoughts on Overdrive suggest it will be a forme change. Why would a forme change get a forme change? The Overdrives are still classified as Black Kyurem and White Kyurem, hinting that they are not new formes, nor where they ever described as new formes.
That's your own interpretation. I see Overdrive as an ability whose purpose is to make Black and White Kyurem stand out from Kyurem as well as each other.

Yeah, I'm gonna bet it's just gonna change the animation and nothing more. Really, expecting anything else is too unrealistic.

What I said in the BW2 thread:

An ability that makes Fire and Electric moves STAB while it keeps its Dragon/ Ice typing.

Overdrive may be similar to Anger Point except by regular attacks rather than critical hits.

I think it will let them skip the charge on Ice Burn/Freeze Shock, because as it is those moves are most definitely not viable. They're slightly better than Blue Flare and Bolt Strike but needing to charge totally cripples them. Overdrive being able to skip the charge but requiring them to activate Overdrive balances it. I think it will also boost Electric/Fire type moves by 50% (maybe less) rather than changing Kyurem's typing because that will make Kyurem lose the stab on Ice Burn and Freeze Shock (both are Ice type moves).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom