• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think when the anime skips over characters from the game?

Somari

Reaction score
The anime has skipped over tons of characters, both major and minor. Some are important to the game storyline, some are extras.

The anime creates its own storyline separate from the game, but somewhat parallel, so it doesn't seem like there are gaps due to missing components.

Silver never made an appearance at all, and Ash had NO rivals at all in Johto, and by the looks of it, N and Team Plasma appear to be heading in this direction, and needless to say, I am NOT PLEASED...

Leaf never appeared, not even a cameo, so it did tick me off slightly. She deserved some screentime, as she was axed from the original Kanto games (RBY).
Then again, I preffered Cilan and Iris being protagonists than Hilda and Hilbert. I guess as they had more flavour, IMO.

Silver never made an appearance at all, and Ash had NO rivals at all in Johto, and by the looks of it, N and Team Plasma appear to be heading in this direction, and needless to say, I am NOT PLEASED...

Gary was still his rival in Johto, though he rarely appeared sadly. Also Silver did have like a 1 second cameo I believe in the Legend of Thunder opening or something.

It kinda bothers me as well when they leave out characters like N in the anime. N would be very interesting in the anime.

Gary was still his rival in Johto, though he rarely appeared sadly. Also Silver did have like a 1 second cameo I believe in the Legend of Thunder opening or something.

It kinda bothers me as well when they leave out characters like N in the anime. N would be very interesting in the anime.

I guess Gary did fill up for Silver in Johto.

I agree that the BW series are leaving out N way too long. Just when is he going to appear?

So disappointed because a few could be linked to key characters such as Leaf being a close relative to Ash. The Rocket Executives, Hillbert, and Hilda are what I'm looking forward to on making an anime appearance, but it never happened.

I am surprised they never gave Janine an appearance. They could have done so in Battle Frontier or in DP.

She's the only Gym leader to never get a anime debut. I guess she never will.

What do I think? That they just DON'T CARE. We get forgettable COTD's instead. Yipee.

Didn't bother me when I was a kid, but in retrospect a character who got gyped was Steven. He got a shitty filler about pissed of Arons, and then never showed up again. He was the League champ, and came off as just some rando. He showed up, but hardly to the extent that sorta character should.

Come on. We all know why that hasn't happened yet.

They could make him appear as a rival of Ash's much earlier and have him show up more often than Team Plasma, at least in the first ten or so episodes. But I guess that would actually require the writers to make a plot and show effort so I guess that's impossible.

There's a simple answer to that: the games are set in a different universe than the anime. The anime definitely doesn't have to rehash the material from the games, and most of its strongest moments come about when it doesn't. For example, in the first few seasons, Ash and co. were traveling for the express purpose of his collecting badges, and whenever we saw Team Rocket, it was always in a very different capacity than in the games: we were given a dysfunctional trio of recurring villains and a lead-in to a very well-received plot regarding Mewtwo, keeping viewer interest and drawing a very unique picture of the organization compared to their game counterpart. When we were shown Team Galactic, however, we were presented with roughly a rehash of the D/P/Pt plot, with the result being (for me, at least) a less-than-memorable storyline. Many of the characters lifted from the games were given their exact same characteristics (e.g. Barry) and suffered when compared to original, dynamic characters (e.g. Paul).

The anime focuses on the world in a very different way than the games - the manga, on the other hand, draws much more heavily from the games and expands upon those characters as a result. If you're looking for different takes on the same game characters, the anime isn't the right place to look.

Most of the time, I don't really care. Though I'm pretty annoyed they skipped over Wally, because I think he would be a good character to have in the anime.

Sometimes i get irritated, exspecially if there was a character i liked that i didn't see...but if we played a game and the same thing and people would pop up on the anime that would be kind of boring. So i think they do that on purpose to keep the series, manga and the game interesting.

There's a simple answer to that: the games are set in a different universe than the anime. The anime definitely doesn't have to rehash the material from the games, and most of its strongest moments come about when it doesn't.

Yet this anime supposively is made to ADVERTISE and PROMOTE said GAMES. What is the damn need to stray away from the material they claim to promote? What is the logic behind making pointless stories and characters that will get nowhere and be easily forgotten when there are many characters and stories from the games that would actually be memorable?

Didn't bother me when I was a kid, but in retrospect a character who got gyped was Steven. He got a shitty filler about pissed of Arons, and then never showed up again. He was the League champ, and came off as just some rando. He showed up, but hardly to the extent that sorta character should.

Atleast he showed up. Leaf, Brendan,Sydney, Phoebe, Glacia, Lucas, Janine, Will, Karen, Thorton, Dahlia, Argenta and Darach didn't have that luxury.

That episode was far from a shitty filler. It was actually one of the funnier "group and TR gets split up together" type of episodes.

I don't like it and never understood why they put certain characters in the show and not everyone. They putted gymleaders and some of the game girls. But the only thing they don't skip is the Pokemon. I guess that's what the show is really for. However, the only series that came close was DP bacause they had Dawn and Barry there. Ash wearing a similar outfit to Diamond I guess he was the missing link. But that's only my assumption.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom