• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T You Want To See In Gen IX?

i think L:A's battle system can do with some tweaking but i'm not totally opposed to an improved version of it making a return. as mentioned, i think people's main frustrations with it are the fact that being ganged up on by like 2 or 3+ pokemon aren't fun due to turn order reasons, which is completely understandable. even in 1v1 situations where speed (and not necessarily strategy) can really make a difference between a win and a loss, which makes battles a lot more offensive-based and as such attacks seem to hurt a lot more despite being double the level of the opposing pokemon.

which makes battles a lot more offensive-based and as such attacks seem to hurt a lot more despite being double the level of the opposing pokemon.
thats something i REALLY don't like about the game. i understand that game freak is trying to make the game harder, but they didn't need to go that far. like seriously? low leveled pokemon being able to one shot or 2 shot my when my pokemon was like 10 or 20 levels higher than theirs?? come on thats ridiculous, it makes it sort of feel like all that leveling up you done on your pokemon was for nothing. reminds me a lot of that one game where no matter how much you level up, the enemies are always as strong, if not, stronger than you.

I prefer for the candies to stay because it helps make completing the Pokedex a lot less of a grind. For the record, I never used them to level up in the main story since I wasn't focusing on completing the Pokedex. But having a way to make the Pokedex completion being a lot less grindy is something that should be kept.

I prefer for the candies to stay because it helps make completing the Pokedex a lot less of a grind. For the record, I never used them to level up in the main story since I wasn't focusing on completing the Pokedex. But having a way to make the Pokedex completion being a lot less grindy is something that should be kept.
I see your point, it just feels so... cheap, y'know?

They could always just do what @Kallyle suggested and make Exp. Candies strictly a lategame or postgame feature only, or at the very least make them rare and difficult to obtain until then, since I feel that the lategame and postgame is when the candies would be most useful anyways due to how much time they save by allowing players to quickly level up any untrained 'mons they'd want to use for online battles or battle facilities or whatever.

Yeah but what if someone wants to play the game to like, play the story or want a certain pokemon quickly? Or people who don't have all the time in the world to sit and grind their pokemon to evolve them? Y'all don't gotta use the candies. Let people who want to use the candies have the candies. Not everyone has the same play style or motivation in games that you do.

That's like me saying "I personally wouldn't use a difficulty setting other than normal so if anyone DOES want to use it they should have to play through the whole game in order to unlock the feature like in Black 2." Or me saying they should remove all useable items that increase stats in battle like the X-attack and its ilk since I don't use them at all and picking one up randomly is a waste of an item opportunity they could have used to give me a berry or a hyper potion or something. Nah man that's just free money sign me the truck up I'll take all your free samples dawg. Like dang, if its a feature that you're not forced to use why complain about it if you can completely avoid it? Sell them candies and get yer dosh instead.

I tend to not use exp and rare candies at all when I play pokemon games. I still save them thought because I know there's gonna be a point where I want a pokemon to know a certain move or evolve and I'd have to wait for a longass time to get that level they need. Might as well stuff them with candy until they're so hyper their body is like "WE LEVELED ALL THE LEVELS, BITCHES".

Also, despite me seeing no problem with 'exp share always on' since I play other rpgs in which your whole party gets exp regardless of if they took part in battle or not, I still think exp share should be a toggle feature in options at this point. Because I know other people think it makes them too overpowered. Because not everyone is like me and thinks 'there is no kill like overkill' and dances with glee as my type-advantaged pokemon turns the gym leader's ace into nothing but a smear on the arena floor with one attack.

Yeah but what if someone wants to play the game to like, play the story or want a certain pokemon quickly? Or people who don't have all the time in the world to sit and grind their pokemon to evolve them? Y'all don't gotta use the candies. Let people who want to use the candies have the candies. Not everyone has the same play style or motivation in games that you do.
Exactly, I don't see grinding leading to any satisfaction in completing the Pokedex. If I wanted to do chores or work, I'd do them in real life, not in a game.

Grindy-ness as a replacement for actual challenge is just annoying. If completing the Pokedex is suppose to be a rewarding challenge, the challenge should come from solving puzzles or finding a rare pokemon in a hidden location, or something that takes an inkling of brain power other than just spending hours doing an inane task. I did not feel the EXP candies were too broken. They were a reward for beating a Raid battle so it's not like they were free. And beating Raid battles is at least somewhat more engaging than downloading a bunch of Blissey bases in ORAS and beating them up for the EXP that way. (OR in most other games, the fastest way to gain EXP was just battling the Elite 4 over and over)

And you didn't get EXP from the Raid Battles directly so it was more like, here's the EXP you would have got from the battle, apply it however you want and to whoever you want. Maybe all battles should work that way. It might solve the EXP share argument at least.

Xp Candies are in a difficult spot for me. I don't like how artificial they feel (Rare Candy was okay since it was very rare but Xp Candy gets thrown out like crazy, especially in PLA), but there really isn't enough content in any Pokémon game I can think of to reach level 100 (which you want for Eternal Battle Reverie and some of the earlier facilities) without crazy amounts of grinding, and the candies helped with that.
Not sure how I'd handle it if I were designing it.

And you didn't get EXP from the Raid Battles directly so it was more like, here's the EXP you would have got from the battle, apply it however you want and to whoever you want. Maybe all battles should work that way. It might solve the EXP share argument at least.
That would actually be great. Unfortunately it most likely falls into the "the kids won't care for that, so why bother putting it into the game?" mentality that Gamefreak is very sadly stuck into.

Just last December i played Fell Seal (it's basically Final Fantasy Tactics) where you have so many parameters you can tweak like exp gained, how hard enemies hit, how much health everyone has. Seeing an indie game do this but then a game in the most profitable franchise in the world not even bother with any of that (not even basic difficulties) is highly disappointing.

Last edited:
That would actually be great. Unfortunately it most likely falls into the "the kids won't care for that, so why bother putting it into the game?" mentality that Gamefreak is very sadly stuck into.

Just last December i played Fell Seal (it's basically Final Fantasy Tactics) where you have so many parameters you can tweak like exp gained, how hard enemies hit, how much health everyone has. Seeing an indie game do this but then a game in the most profitable franchise in the world not even bother with any of that (not even basic dificculties) is highly disappointing.

I've been looking for a good tactics game. That one actually looks really cool.

As far as customization for a monster collection game goes, I played Nexomon a while back and it had a lot of options too from what I remember including a built in randomizer.

I don't think it's an issue limited to just Pokemon though. I can't think of any AAA games that have deep meaningful gameplay options. They just have obtuse ones like hard and easy which I honestly don't like bothering with. I'd rather have no difficulty options than a system like they did for B2W2. It's hard for me to explain why.

I'd rather have no difficulty options than a system like they did for B2W2.
The implementation in that game was so bad that those difficulties might as well not exist as options in that game. Having to have both games to unlock both difficulties is ridiculous. Having to beat the game on Normal to unlock Easy is straight up mental.

The implementation in that game was so bad that those difficulties might as well not exist as options in that game. Having to have both games to unlock both difficulties is ridiculous. Having to beat the game on Normal to unlock Easy is straight up mental.

And then on top of that they used the poor reception from that ridiculous implementation as a means to abandon the idea. Like, what went on in their brains to think that this was the way difficulty options HAD to be implemented, that it either had to be this way or not at all? Utterly baffling.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom