• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T you want to see in SM?

The last thing I'd want to see is shallow offline content, so I definitely welcome side-quests. BW2 was really good about that, and there was a bit of something for everybody to do.

I think X&Y is somewhat under-appreciated but it was still a massive step backward in that regard.

So as long as the tutorial isn't handled quite as horribly as B2W2's movie things (that was like five minutes or more of LET ME GO, GAME!)
Oh gods this, lol. I hate how the one guy at the entrance is actually programmed to keep you from leaving :/

So on that note, no more forced tutorials pls?

Last edited:
I thought the Showcases were based on the PR Videos?

But yeah, I agree optional bonus activities are good to have. There's always a group of people, however small, those things appeal to. So as long as the tutorial isn't handled quite as horribly as B2W2's movie things (that was like five minutes or more of LET ME GO, GAME!), I'm all for new activities. Even ones I personally might find meh.

I think that they were only vaguely connected to the PR Videos since that kind of helped lead into Serena's goal. I don't recall having a negative reactions to B2/W2's movie tutorial, but something that doesn't forces you into a long tutorial would be good.

Anything that screams nostalgia-pandering to Gen 1-2-3 and let more recent gens get their attention.
I think Sinnoh has had more pandering in other regions, than Hoenn and Johto.

- Sinnoh characters in Pokeathlon of Johto.
- Arceus and Cynthia having an entire event in HGSS!
- Crasher Wake in Johto.
- Johto having the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, and even having the same Multi Battle partners we knew in the Sinnoh games (the five stat trainers).
- Cynthia stealing the show in both BW and BW2 postgame.
- Caitlin being a freakin E4 member in Unova.
- Looker, a character introduced in Platinum, being in Unova, Kalos, amd Hoenn as well.

I don't remember Hoenn and Johto having more pandering, tbh. Maybe as much, but not more, anyway.

Last edited:
I think Sinnoh has had more pandering in other regions, than Hoenn lr Johto.

- Sinnoh characters in Pokeathlon
- Crasher Wake in Johto.
- Johto having the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, and even having the same Multi Battle partners we knew in the Sinnoh games (the five stat trainers).
- Cynthia stealing the show in both BW and BW2 postgame.
- Caitlin being a freakin E4 member in Unova.

I don't remember Hoenn and Johto having more pandering, tbh.
Kanto had way more than Sinnoh especially in XY where there was lots of Kanto references.

Kanto had way more than Sinnoh especially in XY where there was lots of Kanto references.
Kanto is the king of nostalgia pandering yes. I was just saying that Johto and Hoenn don't recieve any more nostalgia pandering in other regions than Sinnoh.

Anything that screams nostalgia-pandering to Gen 1-2-3 and let more recent gens get their attention.

Seeing as this is an anniversary game, it's practically a given that there will be tons of nostalgia pandering, but they should definitely give every generation roughly equal attention in this game.

Kanto is the king yes. I was just saying that Johto and Hoenn don't have more nostalgia pandering in other regions than Sinnoh.
Probably because Johto and Hoenn both got remakes so they don't really require references but they could still get references. I don't want the exp share reverted back to the older version. I love the gen 6 version of Exp Share. It can be easily turned off for people who don't want it.

I don't want an overdose of nostalgia. I'm happy if they give us some small references that haven't been done before, but I don't want repeats. If they include all of these references into something like the plot (eg. all past champions help out against the evil team, just an example), I'd be okay with that. Make it fresh and actually make several regions interact with each other, not just the new region and one previous (such as DP and HGSS).

I think Sinnoh has had more pandering in other regions, than Hoenn and Johto.

- Sinnoh characters in Pokeathlon of Johto.
- Arceus and Cynthia having an entire event in HGSS!
- Crasher Wake in Johto.

I don't remember Hoenn and Johto having more pandering, tbh. Maybe as much, but not more, anyway.

I can't see how the Sinnoh references in HGSS can be called "nostalgia" pandering. That's like calling all of the references to AZ and the weapon in ORAS "nostalgia" pandering to XY. In fact, I think "pandering" isn't the correct word here, either. It's all just building internal continuity within a single generation. It's only really "nostalgia" if it's a reference to something old and appreciated, and it's only really "pandering" if it doesn't serve a purpose beyond fanservice. There is a clear difference between extending the Sinnoh trio's mythology into the next Gen IV games, versus plundering Red and Blue for gameplay beats and even area layouts like XY did.

I can't see how the Sinnoh references in HGSS can be called "nostalgia" pandering. That's like calling all of the references to AZ and the weapon in ORAS "nostalgia" pandering to XY. In fact, I think "pandering" isn't the correct word here, either. It's all just building internal continuity within a single generation. It's only really "nostalgia" if it's a reference to something old and appreciated, and it's only really "pandering" if it doesn't serve a purpose beyond fanservice. There is a clear difference between extending the Sinnoh trio's mythology into the next Gen IV games, versus plundering Red and Blue for gameplay beats and even area layouts like XY did.
This is what I meant, basically. Sorry.

My point was that Sinnoh gets more presence in other regions than Joto and Hoenn do.

I thought of something I do not want to see again.

If I can catch, say, a Kakuna somewhere in the region I better dang well be able to catch Weedle in the region as well. A few months back I got bored and randomly looked at all of the pokemon to see what regions they were native to and found that there were some pokemon where you could only find like the middle or last member of their evolutionary family in a region. No. Do not do this. It makes no sense other than 'make player breed to get the younger forms'. It makes no sense for only one member of the line to be native to the region. For a pokemon like Dragonite to be unobtainable in the wild, that's fine so long as dratini is catchable at least. But it no way would it make sense to be able to catch dragonite, but there's no evidence of dratini or dragonair in the world. I'd have to chalk that up to saying the dragonight are migrating through the territory or something. But it's even WORSE when you've got a mid-stage evolution like Kakuna I mentioned earlier in the region but weedle or beedrill are not.

Do not do this again please.

-High-ranking gym leaders with only 3 Pokemon in their party. It's ridiculous.
-Another 'friendship' group of irritating kids who follow me around and insist on checking their pokedex against mine and chatting to me as if I care about their hopes and dreams. IT'S MY JOURNEY GO AWAY. I want a single challenging rival - not a bunch of weak groupies.
-Another tiny amount of actual Pokemon added, and no evos or prevos to old lines, because instead Gamefreak has spent all their time designing a buttload of boring Mega Evolutions that I'll never use. (I know Mega Evolution isn't going anywhere, but I really worry it will affect creation of new lines).
-Another 'team wants to capture the legendary pokemon and use it to destroy/create their ideal world' storyline. I want to go back to the days when the legendaries and the evil team plans were not connected. Again, unlikely, but I can dream.
--I fully expect to see them return, but can we please get rid of HMs already, or at least change them to some kind of machine that the trainer can use, instead of having to ruin a perfectly good Pokemon by teaching it junk?
-I'll echo what other people have said about forced tutorials. They should be optional.

I thought of something I do not want to see again.

If I can catch, say, a Kakuna somewhere in the region I better dang well be able to catch Weedle in the region as well. A few months back I got bored and randomly looked at all of the pokemon to see what regions they were native to and found that there were some pokemon where you could only find like the middle or last member of their evolutionary family in a region. No. Do not do this. It makes no sense other than 'make player breed to get the younger forms'. It makes no sense for only one member of the line to be native to the region. For a pokemon like Dragonite to be unobtainable in the wild, that's fine so long as dratini is catchable at least. But it no way would it make sense to be able to catch dragonite, but there's no evidence of dratini or dragonair in the world. I'd have to chalk that up to saying the dragonight are migrating through the territory or something. But it's even WORSE when you've got a mid-stage evolution like Kakuna I mentioned earlier in the region but weedle or beedrill are not.

Do not do this again please.

Yes, so much yes to this. Having only the middle/fully-evolved forms of Pokemon catchable in the wild should be something restricted to swarms, or just made more reasonable or rare (midstages of pseudo-legendaries/other powerful Pokemon). It's perfectly fine to have to breed for baby Pokemon (even though the player could catch most of them in the wild in Sinnoh), but making players breed for something like a Weedle just seems pointless and trivial.

Stupid evolution requirements like needing rain to evolve Sligoo into Goodra but using Rain Dance doesn't count.

Artificial stupidity for your ally double battles at least. Oy, those double battles in Team Flare's Secret HQ and poor Meowstic. However, I'll gladly welcome artificial stupidity during single battles.

Buying items one at a time. I can buy Pokeballs, repels, and potions in bulk but not Lumiose Galette and Lava Cookies?

Places that are only open certain times of the day or only letting you use their services once per day like Lumiose Juice Shop.

A rock gym.

Last edited by a moderator:
No more weird or complicated evolution methods. Just have standard evolution methods please.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom