• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T you want to see in SM?

While playing HGSS again, I remember another thing I do not want to see again: day based events.

Like Pokémon/characters only appearing at a certain day and items only sold at a certain day, like the clothing in XY. It's just really annoying to have to wait for a certain day to get something and sometimes I'm just not able to play on said day and I don't want to keep messing with the date on my 3DS.

I can't imagine you were very keen on seasons, then?

But I agree, to an extent. Especially in regards to HGSS, like with the Safari Zone objects. I'm not waiting 110 days for a bloody Bagon, you can't make me. However, at the same time, I do think that it makes the world feel more natural and alive, as @Ryuutakeshi said. And like, it just makes sense to encounter Hoothoot and Spinarak at night, and Ledyba in the morning.

Pokemon that only appears at day or night but that might happen due to Sun and Moon theme.

Difficulty spike with the second gym leader, prime example being Bugsy in HGSS. You should not be dealing with something like U-Turn this early in the game.

Also, rotating camera, let's go back to bird's eye view of the older games.

I don't get You people. These games are way too easy, so let's get rid of the difficult Gym Leaders! Bugsy was PERFECT and so was Whitney's Milnuke. The problem with HGSS wasn't that these two were too difficult, but that Falkner (and most others bar Clair and maybe Chuck) was a joke in comparison. The Johto remakes came the closest to being actually difficult and I want that to come back. Especially in this era of Exp. AllShare and EV-awareness and such - we need some really strong Leaders to even break a sweat.

o_O Bugsy was considered difficult?

Yes, and Falkner was face slappingly bad. I agree if they are going to give us something like ExpAll they need to make the gym leaders a little tougher. I was like always overlevelled in XY and ORAS without even trying.

In a way I like day based events as a way to make the game feel a bit more alive, but I agree that it can be extremely annoying waiting.

The day/time based events are one reason why I loved G/S/C/HG/SS so much. It added a unique level of authenticity that very few games offer.
It gave me a reason to pick up and play on certain days, too. But I can get why some didn't like it.

It's a case of convenience preferences I guess.

I'm fine with time based events as long as they are all in the evenings, heh.

<--- *hates to wake up early when she doesn't have to.*

I can't imagine you were very keen on seasons, then?

But I agree, to an extent. Especially in regards to HGSS, like with the Safari Zone objects. I'm not waiting 110 days for a bloody Bagon, you can't make me. However, at the same time, I do think that it makes the world feel more natural and alive, as @Ryuutakeshi said. And like, it just makes sense to encounter Hoothoot and Spinarak at night, and Ledyba in the morning.

I actually did like the idea of seasons, but waiting a month for them is way too long imo. It would have been more fun if they changed every week.

And I've got nothing against time based events, like certain Pokémon only appearing at night, I actually like that as it indeed makes the game feel more alive. And there's also some day based events I don't really mind, like the Bug Catching contest only being held on certain days.

It mostly annoys me when it comes to the availability on items. Why can I only get a fire stone on Tuesdays in the Pokéathlon shop in HGSS? It's not like the supermarket here only sells chocolate bars on Wednesdays or something :p So the "makes the game feel more alive" argument doesn't really work with that one. Same goes for the clothes in XY. I really wanted to see everything available, but traveling all the towns that have a clothes shop every day was just too much of a hassle.

So having events on certain days is fine, but please let items in shops just be available every day, shops in real life work like that too.

I kind of liked the shop stuff changing. It gave me more time to make more money and buy more stuff...

I don't get You people. These games are way too easy, so let's get rid of the difficult Gym Leaders! Bugsy was PERFECT and so was Whitney's Milnuke. The problem with HGSS wasn't that these two were too difficult, but that Falkner (and most others bar Clair and maybe Chuck) was a joke in comparison. The Johto remakes came the closest to being actually difficult and I want that to come back. Especially in this era of Exp. AllShare and EV-awareness and such - we need some really strong Leaders to even break a sweat.
See now, I didn't have a lot of problems with either Bugsy or Whitney. Hell, when I beat Whitney in SS, I used my Beedrill. Not even kidding. I had very few problems with them back in the day and with the remakes. Now Elesa and Clay, on the other hand... *shudder*

Which leads me to add: I don't want to see another Gym Leader who uses Elesa's strategy. Twenty minutes of howling expletives at my 3DS is not my idea of fun. Or hating a Pokemon simply for existing isn't fun either. (I never want to see another Emolga again. If I could, I would make that species extinct in a nanosecond.)

HGSS was a step up, but I think the Johto Gyms still could've been better. Gen 2 in general had this heavy reliance on older Pokemon, and it just made some teams really questionable...Why is Bugsy running Kakuna and Metapod instead of Heracross or Yanma? Why have a Flying Gym featuring none of the game's new Flying types, like Gligar, Hoothoot or Murkrow? Where's Chuck's Hitmontop? etc. There was some missed potential.

Although the post-game Fighting Dojo gave us these great, modernized updates for everybody with a ton of different tactics, so I can live with it. If we at least get that much then I'll be...Mostly satisfied ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no problem with difficult gym leaders.

I have a problem with difficult gym leaders this early in the game. Scyther has 110 attack, 105 speed, and its defenses are no joke, U-Turn has 70 base power with STAB, knows Quick Attack for good measure, and has Leer and Focus Energy making you take more damage, and has a Sitrus berry.

All I'm saying is plan the difficulty more accordingly, (less difficult for the first two or three gyms, ramp it up at the halfway point and beyond).

I have no problem with difficult gym leaders.

I have a problem with difficult gym leaders this early in the game. Scyther has 110 attack, 105 speed, and its defenses are no joke, U-Turn has 70 base power with STAB, knows Quick Attack for good measure, and has Leer and Focus Energy making you take more damage, and has a Sitrus berry.

All I'm saying is plan the difficulty more accordingly, (less difficult for the first two or three gyms, ramp it up at the halfway point and beyond).
Bugsy's Scyther is no slouch, however that's his only real threat and it's not like the game hasn't given you anything to deal with it. between Pidgey, Hoothoot, Mareep, Geodude, Onix, Zubat, and Cyndaquil, you should have at least something that can hit it for at least 2x damage.

Bugsy's Scyther is no slouch, however that's his only real threat and it's not like the game hasn't given you anything to deal with it. between Pidgey, Hoothoot, Mareep, Geodude, Onix, Zubat, and Cyndaquil, you should have at least something that can hit it for at least 2x damage.
I can't say Bugsy's Scyther is too difficult but it is not easy either. He made my flying-type faint with bug-type move. A single one. Thankfully, my pokemon did a decent amount of damage before that. Of course my other ones finished him off but still making a superior type faint using a move it resists... It is too much. On the other hand, without this unexpected pokemon that team would be too easy to destroy. So I don't know what I think about this. Sometimes I think that single-type Pokemon gyms are bad in general. It gets boring beating the same type of pokemon with the same type of moves. That's why 99% of the time Ace Trainers are a lot harder to beat than Gym leaders. I would, personally, make gyms themed rather than single-type. For example, Museum Gym trainers only use object pokemon, Shrine Gym trainers only use psychic\ghost\dark pokemon, etc.

Regarding the number of Legendary Pokémon per generation, I think it's really just a matter of how well they are used. Sinnoh and Unova have the highest number of Legendaries per regional Dex, but all of them have at least some level of involvement in either the storyline or the region's history. They matter, or at least *do* feature in legends and myths.

Sorry, but I feel that the Kami trio was unnecessary in BW - it doesn't feel like its a necessary part of Unova's history. (And I also don't like seeing an explicitly Japanese-designed legendary in what should be New York City.) If anything, I would have rather seen Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres appear in BW2 depending on different seasons as a universal legendary Pokémon. Ditto with Regigigas, unless if it wasn't specific to Sinnoh.

Yeah, I didn't understand the Kami trio there either. They seem out of place. I don't actually like their designs much either, they don't feel like pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom