• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What happens to arrested villains Pokémon?

WatcherMark

Reaction score
Something just came to mind while rewatching the A☆Gilder episode... whatever happens to arrested villains Pokémon after their trainers incarceration?

The Team Galactic commanders, all of Team Plasma, Dr. Tsuraraa and his henchman, the Team Rocket members present at the Red Gyarados incident, various poachers... that's dozens upon dozens of Pokémon whose trainers are doing some hard time. So what happens to them? Are they released back into the wild? Are they contained until their trainers (if ever) are released? Are they forced to do some kind of punishment?

I have always wondered that for Sooo Many Years. I would like to Know about That.

They're all sent to rot in jail for all eternity while their pokemon are rehabilitated (with the exception of Butch & Cassidy)

Though all you really need to know is that after the story is over, the producers don't give two shits about defeated bad guys. They just move on (too quickly).

I think that they would probably help their Pokemon be rehabilitated and then either release them into the wild or allow for caring trainers to take care of them. With the villains, I imagine that they just stay in their jail cells. They'd probably go to trial, but with the evidence against the evil teams from various officers, they'd probably be stuck in jail for years at least.

Butch/Cassidy were arrested in their first appearance and I remember in their second they told Jessie/James that Giovanni bailed them out of jail.

So since we never see the others, we can assume they got the death penalty.

They are turned over to a secret, underground laboratory and mutated into Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys. That's why there are so. Damn. Many of them.

They got bored of just those templates though so they're trying a new mold and making Don Georges.

As for their pokemon, they are turned into Chanseys, Blisseys, and Audinos.

And that, my dear children, is what happens to villains who get arrested and their pokemon.

Ideally, I'd like to think that most trainers get to stay with their pokemon in some way or another. My thoughts are that the pokemon are simply kept in storage until they can be reunited with their trainers (it's implied that James's Carnivine was stuck in his pokeball for god-knows-how-many-years, and he didn't seem any worse for wear). Maybe imprisoned trainers are allowed to spend time with them every so often.

If that's not an option then I guess the only alternative is that the pokemon become seized property and get auctioned off to the highest bidder. :p

I would love to know too. I can probably assume that they are just released into the wild or something.

I've never really thought about it. The writers have probably thought about it even less. I don't think a Pokemon would be punished if it was just obeying their trainers wishes. I would like to think they would go to some kind of Pokemon adoption centre or in some cases, be released back into the wild. If you get a particularly insane Pokemon that is a danger to the public, maybe they would put it to sleep.

Releasing them into the wild doesn't really strike me as the most ethical approach. For starters, we know that the majority of pokemon feel a strong bond and overwhelming sense of loyalty toward their trainers, so how happy would they even be with being forcibly separated from them and suddenly slapped with abandonment on top of that? That their trainer is a criminal does not preclude the possibility that they can have as strong a relationship as any other. On top of which, you probably don't want a bunch of feral pokemon whose previous training has been geared toward criminal pursuits running around anywhere near your neighbourhood.

Releasing them into the wild doesn't really strike me as the most ethical approach. For starters, we know that the majority of pokemon feel a strong bond and overwhelming sense of loyalty toward their trainers, so how happy would they even be with being forcibly separated from them and suddenly slapped with abandonment on top of that? That their trainer is a criminal does not preclude the possibility that they can have as strong a relationship as any other. On top of which, you probably don't want a bunch of feral pokemon whose previous training has been geared toward criminal pursuits running around anywhere near your neighbourhood.

I don't think that they would release the Pokemon into the wild if they were dangerous. They would only do that after helping them. I'm not sure how many of the Pokemon would even be close to the trainers from the evil teams. I remember that they released those Tentacruel from those thieves after a group of Lapras and they were totally fine leaving their trainers. If there were cases like that where the Pokemon wants to be with their trainer, then they could probably arrange for something like both of them being rehabilitated together.

I don't think that they would release the Pokemon into the wild if they were dangerous. They would only do that after helping them. I'm not sure how many of the Pokemon would even be close to the trainers from the evil teams. I remember that they released those Tentacruel from those thieves after a group of Lapras and they were totally fine leaving their trainers. If there were cases like that where the Pokemon wants to be with their trainer, then they could probably arrange for something like both of them being rehabilitated together.

In the case of those Tentacruel, I do have to wonder why they even obeyed Captain Crook in the first place, if they were so happy to piss off and abandon him once he was defeated. Disloyal little bastards.

A better example of a criminal trainer (albeit not a member of an evil team) having bonded quite strongly with his pokemon would be Keith from "So Near, Yet So Farfetch'd" (though he was a total wuss of course).

In the case of those Tentacruel, I do have to wonder why they even obeyed Captain Crook in the first place, if they were so happy to piss off and abandon him once he was defeated. Disloyal little bastards.

A better example of a criminal trainer (albeit not a member of an evil team) having bonded quite strongly with his pokemon would be Keith from "So Near, Yet So Farfetch'd" (though he was a total wuss of course).

With Keith, he was more ignorant of how strong his Farfetch'd could be than anything else, but he was a criminal. Since he returned all of the Pokemon he stole and apologized, he and his Farfetch'd were let go without charges. I don't know if something like that could happen for a trainer from an evil team. Maybe if they provided more evidence against what the higher ups of the organization were doing or were willing to work with the police, they would be allowed to keep their Pokemon after getting out of jail, but they'd probably be in jail for awhile at least. Keith got away with a pretty light punishment for what he did, but I don't know if they'd be willing to do that for a trainer who helped a large criminal organization.

With the way the pokemon anime has portrayed the pokemon world. I will assume all of their pokemon get to some sort of rehab then get put in day cares or something like that, while their trainers end up in jail for at 10-50 years depending on the nature of their offenses. And they may even get out long before thier sentence. I believe the justice system is truly lenient in the pokemon world, solely due to the fact that the subject of that matter was never touched upon.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom