• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is wrong here in America!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud354

i'm a bad boy
Reaction score
Here's what my cousin told me sunday, he was on an activity getting people to sing the national anthem while being recorded on a digital cam, he tried his friend, but would not sing it, I don't know if he knows it or refused to sing it, but that's sad, any agree???

Maybe his friend was shy of the video camera?

Don't see it as unpatriotic (is that a word?).

Sadly, there are many people here in Tennessee who don't even say the pledge, much less sing the national anthem.

At least you guys remember the words to your anthem... -_-

I wouldn't sing the national anthem. I stand whenever the pledge is said, but I don't put my hand over my heart and I don't say it myself. Am I suddenly a terrorist?

@Ben: I hardly remember our anthem, to be honest.

No, people don't even stand up for the pledge or say it. They also talk during the "silence time" when we are supposed to remember the 9/11 attack. Does that make us Terrorists? No, but it does make us sound un-patriotic.

I just think it's sad that noone (even on cam) would sing it if they were asked to

And I think it's sad that people would really bother themselves with something like this. Just live life and enjoy. As long as you're not a terrorist, I don't really care.

The paradox that is the United States of America: to truly fulfill our patriotic ideas of liberty and freedom, not even we can force someone to sing the National Anthem or stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

Last edited:
No one should be forced to sing the anthem or say some stupid pledge. In the school I worked in last year (which is not American), the kids were forced to sing the anthem every Sunday morning and Friday afternoon. I felt that was outright fascist. There's a time and a place for singing a national anthem and it's crappy to force people to do it when it isn't necessary.

I still say the pledge like a patriot. I often pray during the moment of silence. However, I probably will never ever remember the national anthem. Though I still give my respect to it.

The only thing that I know about my country's anthem is that it includes a useless old woman.

I really don't understand what the big deal is. If someone doesn't want to sing it, then they shouldn't have to.

The national anthem has much more meaning to who we are as Americans than the Pledge, I think...it's really worth knowing.

Also, it's not that hard to say, although it's exceptionally difficult to sing well.

Its melody was meant to be sung by drunken Englishmen. I don't know why they chose that melody. But they did, and it stuck.

I've never understood how saying the Pledge magically makes you more patriotic. Or knowing/singing the anthem. Isn't patriotism about what you do, not how many flags you have? I mean...anyone can say the Pledge or sing the anthem. But not everyone can show a vested interest in the country and actually fight to make it better. I mean...what's more patriotic: Saying the Pledge or fighting to undo an injustice? Singing the anthem or working to elect an official you believe in? I mean...if just saying the Pledge is all it takes, does that mean I can actively work to undermine the country every moment of the day, as long as I take a minute to say the Pledge? Or sing the anthem? Can I flip off veterans as long as I do it while holding a flag?

If not singing the pledge makes you not patriotic, why hasn't anybody cracked down on that one town in Louisiana that hasn't celebrated the fourth of July since it was defeated by northerners on that same day?

I don't stand and say the pledge in class at my school, but I did on Veterans day, so does that make me unpatriotic? I don't think so, it just isn't how I show patriotism.

Personally, I stand and place my hat over my heart for the national anthem. I don't get many opportunities to say the pledge.

Having said so, that's the way I was raised. It's second nature to me.

Those of you who don't want to say the pledge or stand up for the anthem, go right ahead with my blessings. That's your right.

Doesn't mean I have to respect you.

Eh, I don't really believe in the pledge. It's just words, not actions. And I especially hate people who freak out when someone doesn't say it. Generally, I don't like patriotism because it becomes nationalism way too easily, and down that route lies some nasty things. Also, the pledge always felt way too much like we were praying to the country or to a flag for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom