• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your favorite Pokemon battle in the anime?

AshTheManKetchum

Aure Entuluva
Reaction score
My favorite battle has to be Ash vs Gary in the Johto League Silver Conference. Though my favorite individual Pokemon battle was Charizard vs Blaziken. It was the closest Pokemon has ever gotten to DBZ in terms of sheer ferocity.

MIne has to be Charizard vs Magmar in Blines gym. The first time you see it (more so when it first came on tv because its the current show and no newer ones yet) you get a sort of moment when charizard is pulled into the lava of the volcano. I relaly did think charizard was dead, but then I didn't know pokemon didn't die that way or died much at all.

I definatly liked the "Aerial Submission" Ash told charizard to do on magmar, you see them rising higher and highe, finally it looks like charizard out of the world completly and then it comes crasing down and Ash wins.

My favorite pokemon battle in the anime would probably be Charizard VS Blastoise. Nuff said.

Charizard vs. Magmar AKA "The Epic Encounter" will always be my favorite battle.

Well, Ash vs. Drake (OI guy), Ash vs. Gary (in Johto), and May vs. Drew (Kanto GF) are my standard answers. All entertaining, epic, milestone battles.

And it's not really a true, legal battle, but Charizard vs. Entei in Movie 3 was really fun. Even Misty's and Brock's battles against Molly were great in that movie.

Also, I know Charizard vs. Magmar was easily the best only good battle of Kanto and the first actually dynamic battle of the series, but does anyone else find it and Charizard vs. Poliwrath overrated? '_' Just saying.

Rule of thumb: If it includes Charizard, it's a good battle.

Charizard vs Articuno

1.) Ash vs. Drake
2.) Ash vs. Blaine (second round)
3.) Ash vs. Gary (Silver Conference)

Honorable mention: Ash vs. Watson (first round). :p

1.) Ash vs. Drake
2.) Ash vs. Blaine (second round)
3.) Ash vs. Gary (Silver Conference)

Honorable mention: Ash vs. Watson (first round). :p

The "honorable mention" was no doubt the fastest-paced gym battle in the anime. Granted, that is how Pikachu should sweep ALL of its opponents. 1 attack and they're done!

Charizard vs Blastoise/ Charizard vs Blaziken

The Johto League had awesome battles...or maybe it was just Charizard?

But now that we have Paul and Barry and probably another last minute rival... I have high hopes for the Sinnoh League...very high.

My favourite Pokémon battle? Hmm, it's hard for me to decide, but most likely my top 3 battles are Ash vs. Drake, Ash vs. Harrison and last Ash vs. Paul. Not necessary in this order ;-)

Ash vs. Nolan was great for a 1 on 1 battle, and my personal favourite.
Ash vs. Drake was really good, too.
Most visually impressive battle goes to Ash vs. Fantina IMO.

Favorite wild pokemon encounter:
Jessie vs Seviper
Favorite gym battle:
Ash vs Wattson 1st match
Favorite Frontier Brain match:
King of Pokelantis vs Brandon

Last edited:
My all around favorite was Ash Vs Drake (OI, not Elite Four). A full six on six where most of his Pokemon got to do something useful, and Dragonite's absolutely epic appearance.

There are two potential candidates that could've overthrown it if it wasn't for a fatal flaw.
*The third battle with Brandon. If it wasn't for the ending--they really should've just had the hit land before Rest got off.
*Johto League Gary match. Before everyone kills me, let me explain.
My problem was that instead of showing how Ash had improved until he could finally beat Gary, it showed how Charizard (and Snorlax) are AWESOME and everything else fails, because Ash seemed to have chosen whatever he thought had the most physical strength as opposed to actual ability (Bayleef over Bulbasaur, Muk over Pikachu).

Ash vs. Katie was one of the best 6 on 6 matches of the series.

Ash Vs. Claire in Blackthorne Gym gets overlooked because it was back in Johto, Pikachu/Charizard/Snorlax Vs. Gyarados/Kingdra/Dragonair was excellent.

Ash Vs. Maylene has been forgotten already, despite being great and one of the best of Sinnoh.

Ash/Brock in Pewter Gym with Donphan/Steelix Vs. TR's Charizard/Aggron was excellent.

why does everyone include charizard in their "awesome" battles?
Because, as much as I hate it, most of Ash's interesting and remembable battles included Charizard. I know it's sad, but that's how it is.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom