• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What kind of a trainer are you?

Currently use variety (both types and locations) and use mostly attacking with a few status moves. Usually have a Flying type for Fly, and a Water type for Surf (and depending on version Waterfall). I try to use Grass Wtaer and Fire, but often get 2/3.

-Me!

I guess I can say I'm a fan of Grass and Fire types conisdering I have two of each in my party. But I really love psychic types, even though I never really get the chance to use them. I hate legendaries, everyone at my school is all like Y U NO USE LEGENDZ!? And I'm like, "Because they're weak," Considering how Zekrom was six levels below my entire team. And also they were never meant to be trained, they're freaking LEGENDS. I'm also more of a love and raise kind of person, you know what I mean right? I see pokemon more like actual animals than stats with pics. My strategies are just "Max your speed until it is impossible for the enemy to get their turn first."

Outside of in-game play, I battle according to the official rules of the Pokémon Video Game Championships. Whether I use certain legendaries or not changes each year with each new rule set. In terms of actual battling, as you might have guessed, I play doubles.

I absolutely love Water types, and I even created my own water type team. However, I am strictly against using any legendaries, as they usually don't serve much of a purpose to me. I just collect them, and I am willing to trade them if you offer me a good Pokemon. I battle with a cautious, yet aggressive approach. I prefer slowly destroying the enemy, because it makes the battle more epic :)

I usually balance my team out though. I don't use one of a specific type, due to weaknesses, and such.

As my sig says, I use whatever pokemon I like. If it means some are legendaries then so be it. I'm pretty balanced for the most part and its rare for me to have two pokemon of the same type on my team. I like to make my pokemon as rounded as possible and will teach them moves to take care of pokemon they're weak against. I'll always have one water (My favorite type) and one flying type pokemon on my team, as Surf and Fly are pretty much needed to get everywhere in the game and the only useful HM's to have in a battle. I've never dumped my starter, simply due to sentimental value.

I have to have at least one Grass type on my team, which usually turns out to be the starter, though I'll occasionally get curious for a Fire or Water Starter like I did in Platinum (Piplup) and White (Tepig, though I'm eager to get B2/W2 to give Oshawott a go). I attempt to have a balanced team but will often just go with the Pokemon I like or that I find early on and grow attached to. I almost strictly use attack moves, which is something that annoys me about myself. I've got no qualms about using a legendary, but I usually don't. I really appreciate helping a Pokemon grow from a really early stage, especially ones that can evolve. I know I used Mewtwo in Blue since he was a favorite and Reshiram in Black because its design really appealed to me. I just can't grow close to them like my Starter or others that I have raised to be levels above them and it seems like a chore trying to raise them. So they usually just chill in the PC and make me feel lame for not using them.

I've also really come to appreciate building up an entire team and their moves versus coddling one Pokemon. I'm attempting this on a replay with Pearl now and hope to have a really strong team for B2/W2.

I always have a fire, electric, water, and flying type on my team. I tend to use as many dual types as I can (and consequently have moves of various types) to maximize my type coverage. In battle, I'm extremely offense based. I almost never use non-damaging moves, other than the occasional status or healing move.

My Trainer Info

Type specialty: The Dragon type is my preferred type, as I can utilise their raw power to my advantage.

Signature Pokemon: Dragonite is my signature Pokemon since Generation 1 and it's ability in battle represents my battle style.

Battle Style: My battle style is generally offensive, but also utilising defence at the same time. With this strategy I am able to bide my time setting up and then striking back with severe force. I also like to utilise weather, but I don't have full blown weather teams.

What kind of Pokemon I use?: I use a lot of different types in my parties to keep all aspects of balance throughout all my teams. I rarely use legendaries, but on occasion I make an exception for certain teams like my White team.

Current Teams: Black: Team Fire: Ninetales, Amoonguss, Espeon, Volcarona, Haxorus, Metagross Team Water: Politoed, Clefable, Jolteon, Cloyster, Kingdra, Dragonite. White: Mienshao, Dusclops, Empoleon, Reuniclus, Hydreigon, Virizion.

I train pokemon then deposit to pc. Right now I'm training my Ho-Ho I got from Colosseum (which took all 48 shadow pokemon purified) and ev'd like I wanted to. Not the best nature but you can't reset the nature. I usually train legendary pokemon and my favorite such as cherrim.

I like to make sure I've got most of my bases covered. Always try to have a Fire, Grass, Psychic, Fighting, Flying and Water type so I'm ready for every situation.

I always have a Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Psychic, and Dragon Pokemon on my team. I like to vary their movesets and items that they hold for in-game use to make the games easier to play through and win the necessary battles. I make sure they all have around the same level as well.

I don't know what kind of trainer I am. I like my teams to be shrouded in curiosity. I like my teams to make my opponents ask, "Wait, what is he trying to do?".
I have no problem with losing, I find losing to be a chance to teach me what kind of flaws are in my teams.
I do not desire beat down teams, I prefer sleight of hand over brute force.
Although my signature team is an easy run "Rain Dance" team, I prefer to run my other strange teams instead.
I prefer to stay away from the obvious top tier pokemon.
Yeah, I run a "Beautifly", yeah I run a "Ditto", question or make fun of it as you will, but when you see how I use them, you'll never see it coming until it's too late.

There was a question about using "Legendary" pokemon. I prefer not to use the Legendary pokemon that are obviously over powered. I like weird pokemon. I have always felt that most Legendary Pokemon are a waste of time, however I have taken a strong liking to "Meloetta". That is by far my favorite Legend, it only makes me sad that i can not use it outside of main game play. I like Meloetta because her design as a pokemon is designed for tactical thinking.

Edit: My top 5 favorite types are as follows;

1. Water
2. Normal
3. Bug
4. Dark
5. Poison
(6.) Fight
(I do like to run fight types every once in a while. I almost always have at least one in every team I build, what can I say getting a sweeper or two is nice.)

Last edited:
I like my party averaged out (Party members are Gigallith, Metagross, Rhyperior, Hydreigon, Porygon-Z, and Chandelure) I will usually have 3 physicaly-offensive-all-round-defensive pokemon and 3 strategic pokemon, I will repeat types sometimes but I try to avoid having one pokemon with 2 or more moves of the same type. My fighting style is all-out offensive (Porygon-Z + hyper beam + normal gem + adaptability + maxed EVs + sp sraising nature = Uber O.P. attack) I also do my best to keep my pokemon alive (Gilgalith + protect + sturdy + focus band + ... you get the idea) some people like to drag battles out as long as posible but that`s really not my style.

Last edited:
Well, my favorite types are Flying and Grass but I never have more than one of those types on my teams. Unfortunately, I usually train my Pokemon without thinking of a team to put them on...

Dark and Steel, those two are favorites, but don't carry them as much. I always all my pokemon team to be dual type, and not one type used twice. [Example would be that if I have Bisharp, a steel and dark, I wont get a steel or dark type pokemon.] It helps with weaknesses and such, and I like the variety of moves they learn. That aside, my battle style varies. I always use the lowest level first, then use my highest last.

I try to avoid using legendaries, but only use them if I know my opponent will use them.

I've always liked fire and flying types that have a lot of speed and can hammer opponents... something like a Reckless Staraptor with Life Orb. I will kill or be killed and the matter will be resolved quickly.

I'm not a fan of legendaries because I hate having to reset 500 times to get the right nature and IV spread.

My teams are all Glass Cannons. Or Squishy Wizards, since I favor Special Attack over Attack. I have maybe 1 or 2 defensive Pokemon on my teams, but that's it. Speed and Special Attack are the only stats I need. I'm not picky about types, though I notice that my teams tend to favor Flying types quite a bit (my in-game teams have all had at least 2 flying Pokemon in them).

And as for Legendaries, I LOVE using legendaries! I have 3 somewhathackedhahah Uber Teams: one is all-out Special Attack, one is a Dual Weather team, and one is All-Arceus. If I'm in a bad mood, I go curbstomp someone and/or the COM with legendaries, and all my troubles are over!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom