• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what moveset upgrade in platinum suprised you?

09MurphyM

Reaction score
Basically, what new moveset were you not expecting? I was suprised to find out in a guide that Caterpie and Weedle can now use bug bite at level 15.

Outrage DD becoming no longer Dragonite exclusive.
Crobat learning Heat Wave (though that is a very useful upgrade).
A bunch of Electrics learning Magnet Rise. I could see a few, but the number that do learn it now is amazing. After all, this means no weaknesses after the Rise.

I loled so hard when I learned that Luxray could learn Magnet Rise. Signal Beam's spammed on a LOT of various pokémon, and Seed Bomb on Donphan is actually pretty nice.

Crobat knows heatwave? Thats different considering I don't think any part or total poison types know any fire moves, but I could be wrong.

Luxray with Magnet Rise, Ice Fang, Fire Fang and Thunder Fang would be sweet as it would negate ground moves which its weak too. If my current luxray with fang moves knew magnet rise, I'd be better off in battle tower wins because of it.

But it seems strange a pokemon like that levitating on magnitism. I can see metagross, but a luxray would be a bit weird to see.

And Caterpie and Weedle learing bug bite then? Thats good to know.

Outrage is a good one thats not Just a dragonite exclusive and wow a lot of pokemon can learn it. Some like Ramparos I am a bit surprised at. I did come up against a japanese Garchomp in wifi battle tower that used Outrage, but I can't tell if it was from Platinum or not, if not, it may have been hacked. Or can it learn outrage in D/P any way?

Outrage DD becoming no longer Dragonite exclusive.

._.

There were other Pokémon that could pull Dragon Dance Outrage, the only other Dragon however was Rayquaza. Its a waste on any non-dragons anyway, but I was really surprised with Venasaur getting it.

Every electric type and their mother getting Magnet Rise.

Shinx3000, Garchomp could already learn Outrage in D/P through breeding.

Alot of Pokémon being able to learn moves via move tutor was interesting, but this takes the cake:

Iron Defense being learned by Metapod, Kakuna and Beldum.

Weedle/caterpie learnig Bug Bite.

GEN 4 ruined everything
You gotta love these types of reasonings.

Its either these early-game bugs get screwed over and you want them to learn something, or "it ruins everything"

nice.

really.

When am I ever going to hear a real arguement as to why this generation sucks? 90% of these complaints can be applied to the "best gen ever!!!"

Pikachu learning Magnet Rise. And other Electric types like it. Seeing them levitate will blow my mind...

There's really no reason at all to hate Gen IV.

Weedle and Caterpie learning Bug Bite makes sense being that they are bugs, after all.

Caterpie can now be somewhat used! lol.

I love how Crobat can learn a fire move.

Scizor with Bullet Punch scares the crack out of me... It's going to be even more used now.

Great. ANOTHER Gen 4 lover.
Loving something and not hating it are two different things.

Of course hating something for petty reasons and hating something for real reasons, which most of you fourth gen haters don't have are also two different things.

Oh and as if anyone is really going to choose not to evolve their Caterpie at level 10 just so it can learn Bug Bite at level 15, a move that is unsuited for Buterfree. Weedle on the other hand can make good use of it for non-competitive purposes due to Beedrill's statistical spread. However, since both caterpillars aren't even catchable early-game in D/P it makes it somewhat redundant.

That is why it is pointless, but to claim it ruined everything is such a false statement. It did not affect the Caterpie line at all and most people wouldn't even have a Caterpie at level 15. If Weedles were actually catchable early in the game, then Bug Bite would have proven to be useful, but they aren't. In the end it still improved it by a wee bit.

and lol that "Great. ANOTHER Gen 4 lover" is the best you can come up with randomly assuming anyone who doesn't harbour your unfounded hatred must automatically love the fourth generation. It does however reinforce my random assumptions that you hate it

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom