• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Pokemon do you think is the most popular?

MuhRifRam

Reaction score
I personally think Pikachu would be an obvious answer because it's a mascot and all but it would be no fun to put Pikachu in here so what do you think is the most popular other than Pikachu? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greninja has become extremely popular lately, especially in Japan.

Unwritten rule: if it made it to Super Smash Bros. at some point, it is popular :)

Unwritten rule: if it made it to Super Smash Bros. at some point, it is popular :)

I agree! I just see Pokemon election result and very surprised to see greninja was on the top of the list. I bet his popularity boosted from his ash form in the anime.

Charizard, because he's awesome.

I think Charizard is very popular among the old audience, but i don't think he is that well known for newer audience. But still it is awesome! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Pikachu internationally, Greninja in Japan, and Charizard in America. Out of those three, my favorite is Greninja.

Somehow Magikarp is also very popular internationally hahaha :') Nice Profile Picture by the way! Own art?

Definition of popular, according to Merriam-Webster: "Liked, admired, or enjoyed by many people or by a particular person or group." Pikachu, Charizard, and Greninja may have large fanbases, but they have come under fire for that reason as well.

I'd give Mewtwo as an answer to this one, as from what I've seen, it has the best balance of popularity and (relative) lack of detractors.

Definition of popular, according to Merriam-Webster: "Liked, admired, or enjoyed by many people or by a particular person or group." Pikachu, Charizard, and Greninja may have large fanbases, but they have come under fire for that reason as well.

I'd give Mewtwo as an answer to this one, as from what I've seen, it has the best balance of popularity and (relative) lack of detractors.

I was thinking the same too! Mewtwo has been fan favorite since Gen-1 and i don't see anyone bashing about Mewtwo here and there unlike Charizard who is often described as overrated.

Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo <- these three are really popular, they have a lot of fans but also a lot of people that hate them (like me).
Greninja, Blaziken, Lucario, and Eevee plus it's eeveelutions are also pretty popular as well, at least these ones I can tolerate.

Edit: Going to add Gardevoir and Lopunny to the list as well, though sadly, they're usually popular for other reasons. The only one I can stand out of the two is Lopunny, since she's a normal type and I like her design more.

Last edited:

Not only that, but if it's something the Pokemon Centers in Japan make entire promotional themes out of, they are also known to have quite an audience (Stunfisk, Croagunk, even the Substitute move doll).

First one to come to mind for me is Charizard, and a few other Gen I Pokemon like Pikachu and Mewtwo. More recent ones might be Gardevoir and Lucario, and maybe Mudkip for its meme value.

Besides Pikachu, I think Charizard and Mewtwo are the most popular. I'd also say the starters (mostly the Kanto starters) and Eevee and its evolutions.

Charizard, Mewtwo, Mew, Blaziken, Jigglypuff, Pichu, MAYBE Arceus....Those all seem pretty popular to me :)

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom