• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What starter did you pick and why?

Gen I: Squirtle in Blue and Charmander in Red.
Gen II: Chikorita in Silver, Cyndaquil in Crystal, Totodile in Gold.
Gen III: Torchic in Ruby, Treeko in Emerald, Mudkip in Sapphire.
Gen IV: Chimchar in Diamond, Turtwig in Pearl, Piplup in Platinum.
Gen V: Snivy in Black, Oshawott in White.
When BW2 come out, I'll pick Tepig in one and probably do a no-starter run in the other. Early on I liked to pick starters based on game color and mascot, but now I pick my favorite in one version and get around to the other starters in the other versions.

I chose Snivy for White. I tend to pick grass starters, but I end up regretting it a little towards the later parts of the games, heh.
Serperior is not my fav though. If I can go again, then I'd go for Oshawott. He looks a little tarded in the start, but Samurott looks boss.

In Generation IV, since I started on SoulSilver, I picked Cyndaquil for it. My next run features a Totodile!
When Generation V came around I picked Snivy because of an agreement with two of my friends that we would each pick one starter each. In B2W2 I'll be picking Tepig!

I picked the Tepig for Black because I wanted to see how the third group of Fire/Fighting evolved starters could do. Emboar was alright but it's not stopping me from picking the Oshawott for White 2.

It was a Snivy for me! i always pick the grass type, not sure why, its just sort of a tradition. though the last time i played crystal i did choose Cyndaquil...

I chose Snivy. Loved the thoughtful and substantial look. :-D. Oshawott looked okay, but Tepig was a strict no-no.

Snivy. Because Grass-types are my favourite out of fire/water/grass, Serperior is just awesome and ugh, the other two just don't appeal to me all that much.

Well, below this will explain what Starter I picked and why
1. Oshawott - I picked him because he will always have the least weaknesses of all the Unova starters (And I named him Charlie because his final evolution looks like a Unicorn)
2. Piplup - Just because its cute (And I wanted a Water-type starter named Bubbles XD)
3. Torchic - I chose her because I wanted an easy starter Pokemon to beat Steven (In Emerald)
4. Cyndaquil - I like him, dunno why, but I do

I chose Snivy in White (My main Gen V game) because something about him made me. I love Serperior too. I chose Tepig in Black. Emboar is really good, but it's a shame they did Fir/Fighting 3 gens in a row. I mean Blaziken is beast with it, Infernape could've been changed, and Emboar does'nt really need it. But in White2 I'm gonna have Oshawott because it is really cute :D

Well for Black I chose Snivy (because it thought he looked cool i dont know what i was thinking)
For Platinum I chose torterra but since each of the starters finals counter eachother it really didnt matter
For Silver I got all 3 (i used the cheat dont judge me)
and For Emerald i went with torchick (for some reason it reminded me of digimon)

In Blue, I chose Squirtle, because Blastoise is just way too awesome. I really liked Charizard though :C
In Gold, I chose Totodile, because Feraligatr is ridiculously cool.
In Ruby, I chose Mudkip because I tend to choose Water-types.
In Diamond, I chose Piplup because neither Turtwig nor Chimchar called my attention.
In Black, I chose Oshawott because, again, Water-types are my favorite.

In FireRed I chose Charmander, though. I really wanted to try Charizard for the first time.
The same goes for Emerald, where I chose Torchic because I really wanted to try Blaziken.

I never choose Grass-types. The only ones I actually respect are Sceptile and Torterra.

Best tries

FRLG: Squirtle
GSC: Cyndaquil
RSE: Treecko
BW: Snivy
BW2: Oshawott

Actually in FRLG i picked charmander but later on it was pretty hard so i restarted.
RSE I wanted to pick mudkip cuz i was one in PMD but i picked treecko cuz it will evolve into a sceptile.

I am a fan of piplups cuz they are just so KEWT! Too bad they were in the really slow DPP :(

I picked Oshawott not because I think he's awesome, but because I wasn't going to use any of them in my team. None of which are that great, but Snivy is probably the coolest.

Past generations have been a different story. First gen for example, I'd have a hard time choosing which one is coolest but I usually picked Squirtle, because Blastoise is just freakin sweet. Cyndaquil is always my first choice in Gen II, Torchic is always ALWAYS my pick in Gen III, because how can you not love Blaziken? Gen IV is where, IMO, they started becoming less inspired. Seriously, why are there three fire/fighting starters in a row? I'd probably have to pick Piplup though, as I think he has the most potential. And again, for Gen V, I don't really care; don't like any of them all that much and I don't believe any are very good.

Actually, my system for picking starters is kind of different.

For each game, I have a special starter picked for it based off the Pokemon Adventures manga character with the same name of the game. An example would be this...

Black Version = Tepig
White Version = Snivy

Because Black from Pokemon Adventures chose Tepig, and White currently has a Servive. I know White had a Tepig, too, but now she has a Servine. Originally before she had it, I made Oshawott my White version starter.

ive done a playthrough with all of them, but my first and favorite of gen V is snivy. it was just fun to play with, and its the design i liked best of the 3. also, learns leaf blade, one of my favorite moves :D

A list of my starters:
FRLG- Charmander because Charizard is one of my favorite pokemon.
HG/SS: Cyndaquil because Typhlosion looks badass and it's a beast.
R/S/E: For Sapphire, Treecko because back when generation three came out it was the only Pokemon I knew. In Emerald Torchic cause my brother had a Blaziken and it too was a beast.
D/P/PL: Chimchar, I don't know why other then I love Fire types.
B/W: Snivy because I really liked the way it looked plus Serperior was really helpful in the after-story.

For Generation V, I actually didn't go with the starter I wanted to. I was the third amongst a group of friends to get the game and we were each going to get a different starter so we could breed and trade. Snivy was already taken so I went with Tepig. I couldn't help myself, the fire pig Pokemon had to be nicknamed Bacon.

Gen I- Squirtle. Mostly because Blastoise is freaking awesome. Charmander line is bland, and Bulbasaur is a flower. o_o
Gen II- Cyndaquil, one of my favorite pokemon
Gen III- Treecko
Gen IV- Turtwig
Gen V- Tepig

Gen I - Squirtle
Gen II - Totodile
Gen III - Torchic
Gen IV - Turtwig
Gen V - Oshawott (though I ended up not really using her)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom