• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What type of starter pokemon do you usually start off with?

Caseydia

Because I can.
Reaction score
I always start off with charmander, cydaquil and torchic in my games. I don't know but there is something about fire pokemon that makes them strong to use thoughout the game. Torchic can use peck for bugs, fire attacks for grass pokemon and double kick attack for rock and other fighting pokemon. Cydaquil can be taught mud slap for rock pokemon and it could taught swift for other pokemon. When it evolves it can learn earthquake. Usefull. charmader was the first pokemon I used and it got me though the game alot.

I usually pick whichever I think is cutest and will give me the best advantage for the first two gym leaders. If those two our different, I compromise somehow. I picked Bulbasaur, Chikarita, and Torchic. I guess you can say I mostly start with grass types, then.

Grass. Except for Chikorita, who I found to be ugly as heck.

I generally choose the starter that suits me best. The starter I think is the coolest, strongest and most awesome is my chosen starter. It's not necessarily of a certain type and it might not match up to the first Gym Leader. It'll just have to be my favorite.

In RBFRLG, I'm more inclined to pick Charmander, and in Yellow, Charmander is bound to be the most used starter on my team. In RSE, Treecko has a better chance of getting chosen than Mudkip or Torchic. And in GSC... well, I'm kinda torn between Totodile and Cyndaquil. Even though my best starter to date was a Meganium.

I say, "Screw it," I get several games, and start out with all three (four, as I play my 2 Reds, 1 Blue and Yellow) simultaneously. I think my very first Pokémon was a Venusaur, because I kept hearing that it was the best to start the game with. I don't have a type that I usually or would usually like to start off with.

Charmander in RBY. But I haven't played that in forever and a day.

WTF are you talking about, Chikorita->Bayleef->Meganium is the best starter in GSC. Defensive beast. Typhlosion sucks (any water type destroys him) and Feraligatr has a crap movepool for his stats.

RS, its a tossup, the first generation where all 3 are actually better than "decent". I usually go Treecko though, I like Speed.

FRLG, I go Charmander. Charizard rox. Great movepool, decent stats. Breeding is your friend.

For Me, it all depends on the game's first two gym leaders: RB Bulbasuar, GSC Cyndaquil, RSE Mudkip, & Fr.Lg. Bulbasuar. ^_^

Last edited:
I don't have a preferred starter-type either. I go by whichever appeals to me the most, in the "zomg it's so cute I want one! ;x;" sense. Hahah, screw stats and movepools, I just want to have Pokemon that I think are cool. *lame*

But, none of my starters are water-type - I don't have preferences, but I guess I do have aversions~ ^^;

I try to avoid the Water-Type starters. There are just SOOO many other good water types you can get in the wild. It's like being given three choices between a present: an opal, a topaz, and dirt. Why pick the dirt when you can just walk outside and have all you want?

With that in mind, Mudkip has become my favorite RSE starter. I picked Treecko, but it's moveset was dissapointing to me. Blaziken is too over-popular. So I liked Mudkip the best, now. When I restart my Sapphire game after transfering all my rare Pokes to FR, I'll pick Mudkip.

I usually pick the Starter that has a weakness against the first two gyms.

Well I usually pick grass-types like yourself NeoKuwa, but I was forced to pick Chikorita because my brother wouldn't pick anything else than Cyndaquil (which I wanted!). Grass types are one of my favourites, if not the favourite. Bulbasaur was an easy choice, but I did pick Mudkip for the R/S games, Treecko didn't appeal to me at all, although I don't actually mind Sceptile.

I always start with the Grass Pokémon, then the Water Pokémon.This is weird, because i like Water Pokémon very much.

It's always how good-looking they are. I chose Squirtle because I love ruby eyes. I chose Chikorita because it was charming and I chose Torchic because at the time Treecko was an ugly gecko and Mudkip had a bad face. Weirdly it's become a pattern. Water, grass and fire. I wonder what D/P will have for the starters.

Well, normally I nwould start with a water type since I like water types the best. However, I may just choose another type so it usually would be random.

On Red,I started with Charmander, Chickorita on Gold, and Mudkip on Ruby.

I almost always start with the Fire Pokemon. Fire is my favorite type so I pick Charmander, Cydaquil, and Torchic.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom