• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What will happen to Max off-screen?

The future of Max

• Total voters

Rhyperior

Rhyperior lover
Reaction score
It is for sure that he'll become a Pokémon trainer by the time he gets 10.(possibly the second Conway) While many believe that he'll go with that Ralts appear in Izabe Island, I disagree. Firstly, it's too far away from his hometown, so I predict that it'll be his 4th or 5th capture. If Norman will go on and become a member of the next Hoenn E4 as mentioned by Max.(Probably after Max win a League) Max'll certainly take his role. (though it could May who could continue her characteristic of being 'Normal' with Slakoth but I highly doubt it) And his dad must be preparing for him to succeed his role so it's very likely that he'll give him a Slakoth which he finds it strong after the battle between Ash and Norman.
My guess is that he'll be the main character in the next Gen because it is likely that Ash will become a member of E4. And this will be a few yrs after Ash become E4. And he'll go on traveling in many new regions and eventually he'll come to Sinnoh and defeat Ash, which has already become Champion by the time, but decline to be the next Champ to succeed his father.
Though it seems to be very random, but he admire his father very much and Ash promised to have a battle with him after he become strong enough. And it'll be better to make a familiar character the hero in the next Gen rather than to recreate a new guy in order to keep the audience. And Max's the best choice! And they can easily have Max talk about his ambition by referencing the latest news of Ash to his companions and CODs once a certain period of time.(maybe at the end of every regions)
What's your opinion on it? What's your own thought?

Last edited:
I honestly think that...

...*dramatic pause*...

...Max will go to Shaftsville, Population: Nando/GS Ball/James's Crossdressing and a couple of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. Because aging isn't really made obvious in the show, so there's no evidence Ash is aging, which essentially means that Max is doomed to a prolongued stay in Hoenn, the best I'd hope for is maybe some montage of him starting his journey after the show ends.

I'd like for the show to end at latest after 5th gen is over but I don't think that'll happen even if they do make a spinoff series unless something happens with the games and they stop making them after 5th gen.

Max will return in the 5th generation as the only character in the anime to actually age. Ralts will be his second pokemon (it'll teleport to him) but his starter will be Treecko. He'll join Ash again, replacing Brock who'll either go back to Pewter Gym after his parents retire and his brothers become lazy, or fall in love with some random girl and actually have his feelings reciprocated for once. He'll do a Nando and challenge gyms and become a co-ordinator. Ralts/Kirlia/Gallade will become his main contest Pokemon, while Sceptile becomes his major powerhouse. He'll face Dawn/May/the token 5th gen female co-ordinator in the final of the Grand Festival, and Ash in the final of the Pokemon League. He'll put up a good fight against both but lose. After that he'll succeed Norman as leader of the Petalburg gym.

Max will go to Shaftsville, Population: Nando/GS Ball/James's Crossdressing and a couple of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.
He's the brother of May, I don't think he'll be neglected.

Because aging isn't really made obvious in the show, so there's no evidence Ash is aging, which essentially means that Max is doomed to a prolongued stay in Hoenn, the best I'd hope for is maybe some montage of him starting his journey after the show ends.

I did say that his journey will start a few yrs after Ash became E4(anime yrs, not real yrs). The fifth Gen anime will start with Max in the fifth Gen region. The first few eps will be about Max recalled his journey, to his companions, through Hoenn, Kanto and Johto. The slakoth, the Ralts and the leagues will be in the highest proportion.

He'll do a Nando and challenge gyms and become a co-ordinator.

I love your creative idea of him being in both contests and battles.

Max is in a bit of an awkward spot. He is waiting to grow up in a series without the concept of aging. I assume he will show up at some point - maybe cheering Ash on at the league - but actually getting to start his journey is extremely unlikely. Even a time skip is out of the question since the series is all about Ash and Pikachu.

It is for sure that he'll become a Pokémon trainer by the time he gets 10.(possibly the second Conway) While many believe that he'll go with that Ralts appear in Izabe Island, I disagree. Firstly, it's too far away from his hometown, so I predict that it'll be his 4th or 5th capture.
It's one boatride away. Ash takes boat rides to new regions all the time. Meeting Ralts was the resolution of a subplot for Max so it will definately be his starter Pokémon. You are also making the very large assumption that he would start with Hoenn, rather than taking the route of Paul and Jun in going to other regions first. (He's already followed Ash through the region, after all.) If he is a focal character again, it would certainly be in the new region.

If Norman will go on and become a member of the next Hoenn E4 as mentioned by Max.(Probably after Max win a League) Max'll certainly take his role. (though it could May who could continue her characteristic of being 'Normal' with Slakoth but I highly doubt it) And his dad must be preparing for him to succeed his role so it's very likely that he'll give him a Slakoth which he finds it strong after the battle between Ash and Norman.
Max definately aspires to be a Gym Leader after Norman retires - the E4 mention was dub-only and there's nothing to say Norman really would get the role - and May will probably stick to the contest scene and Drew. But Max has to be a Pokémon Trainer first and that is an adventure in itself, not a means to an end. If he takes the Gym, Max can use whatever theme he chooses - the only thing stopping Pewter Gym switching to Water was personal issues. Slakoth? Max specifically said he didn't like the idea of that and he would get his starter from Birch anyway, if it wasn't for the aforementioned Ralts.

My guess is that he'll be the main character in the next Gen because it is likely that Ash will become a member of E4. And this will be a few yrs after Ash become E4. And he'll go on traveling in many new regions and eventually he'll come to Sinnoh and defeat Ash, which has already become Champion by the time, but decline to be the next Champ to succeed his father.
Though it seems to be very random, but he admire his father very much and Ash promised to have a battle with him after he become strong enough. And it'll be better to make a familiar character the hero in the next Gen rather than to recreate a new guy in order to keep the audience. And Max's the best choice! And they can easily have Max talk about his ambition by referencing the latest news of Ash to his companions and CODs once a certain period of time.(maybe at the end of every regions)
Even if there was a new guy, it would be the game protagonist, though I do see Max as rival material to a new trainer. But that assumes Ash and Pikachu would leave, which just isn't likely at all. They aren't ready to face the E4 and succeed.

He's the brother of May, I don't think he'll be neglected.
May is as important as Max and Misty right now. That doesn't count for much.

Max will show up at Ash's house after Sinnoh or the Sinnoh BF and battle him with Ralts/Kirlia/Treeko/Grovyle/Mightyena. One of those, maybe a few of them. Anyway, he'll loose and then start his Hoenn journey.

Max has officially become the next Tracey.

There's a reason why during the Wallace Cup eps he didn't even say anything, they didn't even want to pay his Japanese VA for a few lines.

I think we'll only see Max when Ash returns to Pallet Town, and that's about it. He certainly won't appear in Sinnoh by himself like May did.

Well, we'll most likely see Haruka again at the end of Shinou (probably just for a quick couple of episodes, like Kasumi at the end of Houen), and I'm guessing Masato will show up then, if he's going to at all. And if he does, that'll probably be the last time we ever see him. Personally, I think it'd be cool if he announces his newly-obtained trainerhood and then challenges Satoshi to a battle.

The sad thing is, this'd be a nice bit of character building, and yet I know it's still highly unlikely to happen since Masato's from a previous generation and is thus no longer relevant. Sigh...

"Max" and "future" create an oxymoron used together.

it's been a while since ash should have a beard (i mean there's no concept of aging in the show, like everyone said), but for max, well ... i'd say 50-50: completely neglected or maybe a main role...
or maybe he'll make few appearences in the next gen...

Man! these are complicated issues!

In all likelihood, Max will never age and will only be seen in minor cameos here and there. He won't become a main character again, and he most certainly won't ever replace Ash.

As for his actual future, I predict the obvious: picking Treecko as his starter from Prof. Birch, taking a boat to go pick up Ralts, collecting badges starting with a region other than Hoenn and Kanto, raise Ralts into Gallade, and eventually become Gym leader after Norman retires.

As for his actual future, I predict the obvious: picking Treecko as his starter from Prof. Birch, taking a boat to go pick up Ralts, collecting badges starting with a region other than Hoenn and Kanto, raise Ralts into Gallade, and eventually become Gym leader after Norman retires.

ok, but will all this be off screen? (I hope...)

The problem with Max is that alone the character isn't popular enough to actually get anything important.

Max's character basically hinged on May's popularity, but as we've seen with the Wallace Cup, the writers don't consider these two a "set" and count them as separate characters, as they should be.

Even if May appears again sometime down the road Max again likely won't be there. Hell, I don't even think Harley or Drew will get a major appearance again either.

I loved Max on the show, but unfortunately I think that he probably will be neglected for the rest of the series other making a few silent cameos.

I hated the Ralts episode knowing that he likely will never come to pick it up like he promised. x_x;
I'm pretty much agreeing that he's like Tracey now.

I agree with everyone that said he's prety much like Tracey now. He'll probably just keep helping his dad out at the gym just like Tracey is just helping Professor Oak out. He'll probably have more cameos later but I don't think he'll ever become the main character. Besides, Ash has promised some of his pokemon he'd get them back (Pidgeot comes to mind) and never did so I don't think Max will get Ralts back.

So now let change the topic. Let's discuss what will happen to Max off-screen since everyone is thinking that he'll be neglected. Well, there will be a new character if win the Sinnoh league and become E4 or Champ. I can see that after the character has travelled to many regions, he'll travel in Hoenn afterwards. And in the last region he travelled through before Hoenn, he'll face Max in the final and lose to him. By the time, Max will have travel through Johto, Hoenn, Kanto, Sinnoh and many regions. He then ask if Max will challenge the E4, and he would reply that he's replacing his Dad's role as Petalburg Gym Leader and ask if he'll come to Hoenn or not. Norman could have promised that he'll give his title to him if he win a league. And since Max admire his Dad so much so I think that he won't change the type of the gym. And his dad will probably give his Pokémon to him like Brock. And I can see his powerhouse being the offspring of his father's Vigoroth and Slaking. And maybe it will evolve into a new Gen Pokémon rather than Slaking. The new guy will challenge Max for badges and loses the first time. The second time he receives advices from Norman and finally defeat his old rival.
And if Ash continue his journey. I would expect that after he had travel through many unknown regions, Max will gets ten and wait for him in Pallet. He will battle with Ash with the Ralts and this inspires Ash to keep his promise with Pidgeot. They have a battle and Ash defeat him easily. Maybe after Ash challenge some regions again, he will coincidently encounter Max in the league. Max have lost so many times in quarter finals in the previous regions and it will be the first time that Max gets into the semi-final and is defeated by Ash after a fierce battle. Ash go on and win the league. Max fell extremely disappointed and Ash suggested him to challenge the Orange League. Then Ash defeat the E4 and Champ. The anime ends and Max will appear again in a Cameo showing that he defeats Drake. But that would be too much for us and also for the writers.
Actually you can treat this thread as a thread for fantasy or you can have some serious discussion about Max.

Last edited:
I think Max would actually be the perfect character to continue the anime portion of the pokemon franchise after they decide that Ash and Pikachu have finally finished beating a dead horse. Of course, he would never be as popular as Ash, but I'd like to see him go on his own journey. I also agree with Age of Kings -- that Ralts is becoming a Gallade.

Now what do I honestly think will happen? We're never gonna see the little squirt again, aside from flashbacks or cameos where he doesn't say anything -- same for all of May's contest rivals. Shame...I didn't see much of the Hoenn eps where they appeared, but they seemed like a lively, interesting bunch of characters.

I wouldn't want the series to continue with Max. By the time Ash's story is over, so would everything else.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom