• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What will Team Rocket's role be in Season 2?

The Radio show gives off a, "last hurrah" vibe to fans for me. It seems odd to me that they waited all the way till now to do a radio show when they could have done it generations ago back in either AG or DP.

The radio show is because Megumi wanted it. When Megumi Hayashibara wants to do something, chance are good it'll happen.

Here's a thought, what if TR really do leave the anime at the end of BW, but the radio show continues afterward?

They wouldn't be members of TR anymore, (assuming the organization disbands), but simply Jessie/James/Meowth. The radio show could then expand to not just being about recruiting people for TR, but about the VA's view of their characters and/or any general topic. It really does seem like a possible exit strategy to me.

As for whoever said Meowth was a big mascot, everyone knows Piplup was huge in Japan and to little kids it was a shock to see it gone after 4 years. When Dawn/Piplup leave again after her cameo ends, it'll be the same deal.

I don't know about that: with the cancellation of the two parter and the complicated plot of Team Plasma, it Pretty much confirms that they're replacing future Crime Syndicates from here on out.

I don't know about that: with the cancellation of the two parter and the complicated plot of Team Plasma, it Pretty much confirms that they're replacing future Crime Syndicates from here on out.

I don't know why you keep saying that. Even if Team Plasma never appears, that has nothing to do with villain teams from future generations.

I was wondering the other day, what if they use this plot to bring in the HG/SS Rocket dudes?

Just because they cut their screentime doesn't mean they cut their role. In fact, I would say TR now has a bigger role and purpose in the anime than they ever had before. They are actual threats now who are competent and can be taken seriously.

I can barely call them a "threat" when they still pretty much fail at almost everything they do as long as the twerps appear there... the only difference is that they act "cool" and boring and fly away instead of blasting off...
Their role was obviously cut down for this series, their screentime was reduced significantly...

No, they can't. The TRio are the least replaceable characters on this show.

People would say the same if back in DP I'd say that next series TRio will randomly turn "cool" and lose a lot of their screentime and won't even appear every ep
I really think there's a good chance this change was done at least partly to make some kind of conclusion to their story at the end of BW

Shudo just turned in his grave.

But it's true... anything other than Ash/Pika is replaceable, I think BW itself clearly proved it with how they threw Brock away, completely cut down the TRio's role/screentime and made them completely different characters than their true self, and how they even agreed to pretty much ignore the existence of old Poké for like a year and a half

As much as I was mad that they cut down their screentime, it didn't mean that Rockets' role wasn't important anymore. For the first time in the show, they're not punchbags for anyone to laugh at anymore. They get serious missions and they're doing great imo. I think they deserved it after so many years. They were dreaming about this. But what's the most important, I believe that it's not just "eating screentime" - their plot is definitely getting somewhere (too bad that the earthquake got in the way). I hope that their radio show will explain many things for us in this matter.

I think it's clear they aren't as important as they used to be... I also don't buy that they're "not punchbags anymore" - so they're robots who act boring and instead off blasting off like the punchbags they still are, they found a way to run a way while acting "cool", knowing that if they wouldn't run away they'd be beaten by the same 10 years old kid who beat them all the time
Their plot is getting somewhere? hardly... it seems like every time they'll make them pointlessly eat screen time to throw "hints" and "build up" to a two-parter or something involving a legendary or whatever they happen to be after this time (see kami trio mission or the current Meloetta mission)

I don't see what's sad about it... o__O;

That I enjoy them outside the show itself, yet when they appear in the show itself I want them to just disappear forever =\

things like the radio show and the live caster just proved your theory about them not being significant anymore wrong.

How? appearing instead of Oak in his corner at the end of the episodes and having some radio program doesn't mean they're so important...
I didn't say they aren't important at all anymore, but their role IS smaller than it used to be...

And just recently there was an article on Animate.tv saying that they're the most important characters of the show along with Satoshi and Pikachu...

People said the same about Brock...
Also, even for the TRio themselves, again - if I'd tell people during DP that they'll have this crazy change for BW - people would laugh at me even suggesting it
I think that proves even "important characters" can change or get written off the show, despite what people may think

Anyway, I think that no matter what, people who look only on the surface, won't be ever able to understand why the TRio's important.

They are important, just less than they used to be... and they're boring compared to their entertaining old self, therefore they became pointless screentime eating that only hurt the show at least for me

The radio show is because Megumi wanted it. When Megumi Hayashibara wants to do something, chance are good it'll happen.

I doubt it's just a coincidence it happens just when TRio got this big character change
The things Megumi and that other one said in their blogs could simply be hints they were asked to drop by to start getting fans excited... I won't be surprised if that was the case
Anyway, even if it really was their idea, I'm not sure it'd be randomly approved at any time just cause they wanted it... I'm pretty sure the higher ups simply wanted something like this to happen
I can only hope that at the very least this radio thing will give us some old self TRio (this is the main reason I'm a little excited for it) and possibly explain their character change (I'd still won't like this change, but it'd be easier to accept if at least there was some explanation)

Here's a thought, what if TR really do leave the anime at the end of BW, but the radio show continues afterward?

I'm not sure if the radio thing will even continue during the whole of BW
I think it'd be something short-lived... like, no longer than about half a year, so by 2013 it'd probably finish... I could be wrong though...

If anything, they "replaced" Plasma... but why would that affect any next gen evil teams? the "ban" is only on Plasma, not on any future evil team

I was wondering the other day, what if they use this plot to bring in the HG/SS Rocket dudes?

That could be nice, though I doubt it cause they have no reason to advertise HGSS anymore and if they had any intentions to do so they'd probably do it earlier in BW so it'd be closer to the HGSS games era... now it seems too late
If anything, I can see Cassidy and Butch appearing due to the whole "PAST IN YOUR FACE" thing they're doing

But it's true... anything other than Ash/Pika is replaceable, I think BW itself clearly proved it with how they threw Brock away, completely cut down the TRio's role/screentime and made them completely different characters than their true self, and how they even agreed to pretty much ignore the existence of old Poké for like a year and a half
... and their ratings dropped so then puff! BW2 happened with Team Rocket's new mission (and it looks like they will appear more from now on) and old Pokemon returning. Looks like the changes made in BW1 ddin't do good for the show.

I think it's clear they aren't as important as they used to be... I also don't buy that they're "not punchbags anymore" - so they're robots who act boring and instead off blasting off like the punchbags they still are, they found a way to run a way while acting "cool", knowing that if they wouldn't run away they'd be beaten by the same 10 years old kid who beat them all the time
Their plot is getting somewhere? hardly... it seems like every time they'll make them pointlessly eat screen time to throw "hints" and "build up" to a two-parter or something involving a legendary or whatever they happen to be after this time (see kami trio mission or the current Meloetta mission)
That's only my theory, but I think that they got all serious, cool and devoted to their job for a reason. For years, they've been a part of Team Rocket, and were cowtowing to their boss, yet they still were able to keep their individualism and strong self-awareness. Right now their existence is too dependable on Team Rocket. You can't even see them doing anything else than their job anymore like you used to. They have a faith in Sakaki mote than anything else, yet they don't see that he's only using them. He ditched them after Meteornite mission and Nyasu felt insecure, but Musashi talked him out of it. They decided to work their best for Sakaki. And that became their favourite catchphrase in BW. I guess that says a lot about their sense of existence. We wouldn't be there if not for Sakaki.

But this is bound to end someday. They've dreamt about being on the top of Team Rocket like this for years. Are they happier now in BW than before? I don't think so. They need to notice what's really important for them - it's their friendship. They don't need Team Rocket to depend that much on because they have each other. They need to redefine their values in order to find their identity.

So yeah, I'm hoping that there's more to their role in BW than what's shown on the surface and they will eventually get that moral lesson.

And just recently there was an article on Animate.tv saying that they're the most important characters of the show along with Satoshi and Pikachu...

People said the same about Brock...[/quote]
Huh? Where?

Also, even for the TRio themselves, again - if I'd tell people during DP that they'll have this crazy change for BW - people would laugh at me even suggesting it
I think that proves even "important characters" can change or get written off the show, despite what people may think
No, me and many other people noticed that "something's up" in late DP arleady. It's not like we expected >this< to happen, but we were at the point when we thought that anything would be possible, so we wouldn't laugh at you.

I doubt it's just a coincidence it happens just when TRio got this big character change
Of course it's not, they want to explain why things became the way they did in BW.

The things Megumi and that other one said in their blogs could simply be hints they were asked to drop by to start getting fans excited... I won't be surprised if that was the case.
Of course it's their idea... They had this idea 1,5 years ago and they handed it in to higher ups only recently... Not to mention that higher-ups just don't care about stuff like this.

I can only hope that at the very least this radio thing will give us some old self TRio (this is the main reason I'm a little excited for it) and possibly explain their character change (I'd still won't like this change, but it'd be easier to accept if at least there was some explanation)
Yeah, I hope too that they will give some explanation, so people would understand more.

I'm not sure if the radio thing will even continue during the whole of BW
I think it'd be something short-lived... like, no longer than about half a year, so by 2013 it'd probably finish... I could be wrong though...
I guess it depends on the show's popularity. And it arleady got popular before it started, so I don't think you're right ;D

Inuyama Inuko's Pokemon Hour radio show continued after Pokemon anime got cancelled after Porygon accident. They wanted to cancel it as well, but Inuko didn't agree to it. So I guess it would be possible to continue it, even if they left the show.

... and their ratings dropped so then puff! BW2 happened with Team Rocket's new mission (and it looks like they will appear more from now on) and old Pokemon returning. Looks like the changes made in BW1 ddin't do good for the show.

Eh... no... it's totally obvious that BW - both games and anime - were made with the idea of BW2 in mind, so they purposely deprived us of old Pokémon and past characters/references in general, in order to start with a "fresh beginning" and they planned that later on after the initial freshness wears off they'd surprise with "THE PAST IN YOUR FACE" thing they're doing in both BW2 games and the current anime eps
The anime simply mirrors the games and all this was obviously planned from the beginning
Ratings didn't have anything to do with that... also, as said in that rating thread, there are other explanations to ratings seeming to be low, rather than the show not doing good or anything like that

They need to notice what's really important for them - it's their friendship.

I'd like that to be their conclusion, get out of TR or even go against them in a cool team up with the twerps (for whatever reason, maybe realizing Giovanni only used them or something like that) and then realize they don't need TR, that they simply want to be together and that's what makes them happy
Then they can go to a journey together and each can try to achieve some Pokémon-related goal like the twerps do (Jessie a Coordinator, James maybe a Pokéringer challenger, Meowth can... I don't know... make some talking Meowth shows from time to time to not get bored and earn some money? lol)

Huh? Where?

Where not? many people would believe Brock will never leave until BW started

No, me and many other people noticed that "something's up" in late DP arleady. It's not like we expected >this< to happen, but we were at the point when we thought that anything would be possible, so we wouldn't laugh at you.

Most people would still laugh at the idea... I also can't see any big changes in late DP compared to the rest of DP

Eh... no... it's totally obvious that BW - both games and anime - were made with the idea of BW2 in mind, so they purposely deprived us of old Pokémon and past characters/references in general, in order to start with a "fresh beginning" and they planned that later on after the initial freshness wears off they'd surprise with "THE PAST IN YOUR FACE" thing they're doing in both BW2 games and the current anime eps
The anime simply mirrors the games and all this was obviously planned from the beginning
Ratings didn't have anything to do with that... also, as said in that rating thread, there are other explanations to ratings seeming to be low, rather than the show not doing good or anything like that.
Well yeah, I got carried away with old Pokemon thing. Of course that anime just mirrors the games in this matter. However, I still think that there's no other explanations than show not doing good.

They need to notice what's really important for them - it's their friendship.

I'd like that to be their conclusion, get out of TR or even go against them in a cool team up with the twerps (for whatever reason, maybe realizing Giovanni only used them or something like that) and then realize they don't need TR, that they simply want to be together and that's what makes them happy
Then they can go to a journey together and each can try to achieve some Pokémon-related goal like the twerps do (Jessie a Coordinator, James maybe a Pokéringer challenger, Meowth can... I don't know... make some talking Meowth shows from time to time to not get bored and earn some money? lol)[/quote]
I really have no clue about what they can do after TR... Musashi's pretty much done with contests and Kojiro never treated Pokeringer seriously... and he's the only one of the TRio who didn't have any real goal outside of TR job.

Btw, I wonder, why they never "offically" tried to make Nyasu a Pokemon translator? Because you have to admit, that cutting dough is a waste when it comes to the only talking Pokemon xD;

Where not? many people would believe Brock will never leave until BW started
It's different though... I've never seen anyone from the Pokemon staff saying that Takeshi is important. Unlike Rockets.

Musashi's pretty much done with contests

She said what she said after the Sinnoh GF because she was angry, and probably didn't REALLY mean it - like usually happens to people when they get angry at something XD
Then they came to Unova where we can assume there are no Contests + they threw their whole old self away and focused on TR, so we didn't have any chance to see how Jessie would react to being a Coordinator again after the Sinnoh GF
I won't be surprised at all if, assuming TR gets some kind of conclusions and start a journey as "good guys", Jessie will be a Coordinator... that seems the most logical thing to do in my opinion

and Kojiro never treated Pokeringer seriously... and he's the only one of the TRio who didn't have any real goal outside of TR job.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to suggest for James, Pokéringer was just the only thing that I could think of... I don't know... he can just try recollecting all the bottle caps Jessie and Meowth caused him to lose XD aim to be the bottle cap master! (hey, at least he'd actually do something to achieve that goal, compared to Iris doing nothing in order to become a dragon master...)

Btw, I wonder, why they never "offically" tried to make Nyasu a Pokemon translator?

Well, that would be too logical for the characters to do and for the writers to allow, I guess? like, why they never dressed up like they always do and go into a Pokémon Center, get their Poké healed, eat for free and have a nice bed to sleep in? this could easily solve most of their problems...

It's different though... I've never seen anyone from the Pokemon staff saying that Takeshi is important. Unlike Rockets.

Still, it goes to show how the characters aren't as permament as we may think... I really think only Ash and Pikachu "have" to stay, and even they are replaceable if they'll ever want a truly fresh new beginning

I think people should stop assuming any character is "safe" from leaving the show. The series may go on indefinitely with entirely new characters.

There were also some people who thought the Contests would never be dropped but they were. The show never remains the same saga after saga.

I don't know about you, but regardless of whether TR continues as an organization or a rogue TRio, I simply can't imagine anyone else would be more be capable of offering a better mix of humor and antagonism. However, TR isn't being used to their full potential with just plain stereotypical evildoing, so I hope they will change that soon.

I always loved it when TR was silly, and when they'd "go blasting off again" XD I miss that. I watched Kanto, Johto, and now BW. I totally missed out on the series with May and Dawn :( (I was ashamed then for still loving Pokemon because all my friends had grown out of it and I hadn't, so I made myself not get involved with it anymore, until I just couldn't take it anymore and knowing my husband still loves and accepts me helps too) Anyway, I used to think Giovanne was going to be Ash's dad, but now I think it's Alder since Alder is a champion and all (plus he refers Ash as Ashton, coincidence?). As much as I would love for TR to go back to being really goofy, I don't think it'll help the series. I was disappointed that Team Plasma never showed up, I mean seriously, N is hot!! I've always wanted James, Jessie, and Meowth to realize their true worth and value, as well as their friendship they have. Perhaps what'll get Jessie to leave will be if she finds out Giovanne had her mother (whom was part of TR before) on a sort of suicide mission or something) and that she was killed. No one knows what's happened to her mom so if Jessie found out Giovanne killed her mother, she'd realize just how much she's been used all this time. James and Meowth see the devastation effect Jessie, and decide to go against Giovanne themself in a brave effort. But they lose, so Jessie, James, and Meowth come to Ash and company for help to defeat Giovanne once and for all!

I think Team Rocket should have just been Jesse, James and Meowth. Like I said, the entire organization was never highlighted (I can't speak for the manga, since I don't read it). I don't want to have to imagine what the rest of the members are like; show me more of Team Rocket, so I can believe that they are a threat. The trio failing every mission doesn't help, you know.

I think Team Rocket's role in Best Wishes Season 2 will be that they go after Meloetta, capture it, and use it to unlock the Kami Trio's Therian formes and capture them and very nearly get away, but fail due to the helicopter being attacked, just like the first Kami Trio mission.

It's just my opinion, though.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom