• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What'd you name your rival?

Platinum (ROM, on an emulator that I would later find out refused to load state without crashing): Barry
SoulSilver (cartridge-or-whatever, on my birthday present DSi, put it down after a misunderstanding in a Skype conversation and haven't picked it back up since): Silver

Yay for canon and such. XDDD Thing is, I was going to try to implement my own kinda story-type-thing into the runs I was doing of those games (hence why in both games I named my player character Rose), but after realising it wasn't going to work, I just... threw the whole story thing out the window.

I name mine Cody sometimes, just because that is one of my friend's names.

I named my Diamond rival Sanjaya, after Malakar, because 2007 was season six of American Idol. I played as Dawn, naming her Jordin. Inamed my Platinum rival Ryan after my best friend. I named my HG rival Johnny, after his father Giovanni. My newest SS file has the rival named Barack. I'm playing as Ethan, who I named Muammar.

If they Have an anime counter part will I name them affter it, if not i will use a suggested name by the professor.

Some Japanese shit
Wyald (mah favorite Berserk villain~)
Silver
은동
Silver (this is Blue we're talkin')
OFG (OhFuckingGod)
Clinton
까까머리중
Silver

Besides those, I also had my FR rival named after an asshat I knew from school: Jeff.

Aaaaand, great. We go back 2 generations where we can't name either of our rivals.

Last edited:
In Blue and Yellow, I simply called him Régis (Gary's french name)

In Gold, Crystal and HeartGold, it was Silver.

For Diamond, I named him Barry and, for Platinum, Jun.

In SoulSilver, I named him Edward after an old friend.

In Diamond I named him Marcus.
In Platinum I named him Zack.
And in SoulSilver I named him... wait for it... Emo Kid.

I've had quite a few games and quite a few rivals over the years...

(in order of appearance)
Red- Buthead (I was a really mature 10-year old... who was limited by seven characters)
Silver- B**** (again, really mature :-/)
Crystal- Silver (I didn't actually mean to name my rival Silver, I accidentally pressed some button when I hadn't typed anything in and then it just popped up as Silver)
Yellow- Gary
LeafGreen- Mason
FireRed- Jordan
Sapphire- Brendan, Wally
Diamond- Damien (and my name was Delilah, both start with "D," just like "Diamond")
Platinum- Peter (I'm Pepper)
HeartGold- Gavin
White- Bianca, Cheren

That's all :)

I name them their real names. Yellow/FireRed I named him Blue and in Crystal/SoulSilver I named him Silver.

EDIT: I said Green instead of Blue. xP

Last edited:
I named my rival NED. It stands for Non-Educated Delinquent and is a term used here, in Scotland, to refer to people who are kinda chavs. There's a sort of general dislike here between neds and rockers.

I name them after people whom I dislike. My rival in Diamond is named Thomas after a guy at school who once insulted me, and my rival in Black version is named Robert after someone whom I don't see eye-to-eye with.

In Silver, my rival's name was AAAAAAAA and I could never figure out why. I always wondered why Nintendo would name a character something so strange. Too bad you couldn't get to pick your rival's name.

In Crystal, during the first encounter with the rival, he says his name is "...". Being 8 years old, I dutifully reported to the person asking his name that he said ... was his name. :D

In R/S/E, I called her May, and in FR/LG, I called him Gary.

I got a little more original with the fourth generation, calling my Sinnoh rival Aaryn after the founder of shiny hunting. His avatar was a blond male who looks just like the Sinnoh rival, so I thought it was appropriate. Alas, it didn't help me to catch 30 shinies in my first year of playing the game. :/

In SS, I called my rival ..., which brought back good times from Crystal. :D It also adds an ominous feeling of mystery to pronounce his name as a momentary silence, "lol."

Haha, usually I give really stupid names like Blaydde and Claww because they fit with my username xD

In Crystal, my rival was ??? the first time I played through. The second Crystal game, it was ... since I wasn't creative at the time. In Gens III and IV, my rival's name is Richard aka my little brother. The (sometimes annoying) way that your rival seems to stalk you through every Pokemon game seemed to make a nice opportunity to cite my brother. In White, my rival is named Louie, after my favorite cousin.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom