• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's Goin On With Gary?

SerenaKetchum

Future Mrs. Ketchum
Reaction score
So he's appeared in a few eps in Sinnoh right? Well what's goin on with him? Is he done appearing during this portion of the show?

I know he's a researcher now, and I don't keep current with the Japanese eps, only the english dub...so i might not know things that have already been confirmed regarding Gary...but ummmm...yea, is he coming back? Do you wish he was featured more this season or are you fine with him being phased out?

With Jun, Paul, Cynthia, etc. there are more than enough supporting characters so I don't know what I think...just wondering whatchall think?>

He's only been in 2 episodes in DP.

DP now has 127 confirmed episodes, and out of that span he's been in a grand total of 2 episodes. At this point I have no clue if he'll even get another episode, but I imagine he'll get a least one more appearance before Sinnoh ends.

He's only been in 2 episodes in DP.

DP now has 127 confirmed episodes, and out of that span he's been in a grand total of 2 episodes. At this point I have no clue if he'll even get another episode, but I imagine he'll get a least one more appearance before Sinnoh ends.

i used to really want him to return, but i feel like his character is lacking this season obviously.

so yea, i dunno if i really care if he returns now cuz its not like hes ash's real rival now.

I feel like they really could have done something more with Gary and the whole TG thing...and as a Palletshipper, of course I want him to appear alongside Ash again ^_^ but eh...I get the feeling he's not coming back.

I hope Gary makes his return to battling at some point during the show. Not permanently, but just a battle or two to show he's still got it.

I'm pretty confident he'll return in some fashion during this season cuz they've already had him appear.

Gary should show up one day and punch Paul for being such a jerk to Ash! jk

Hes just hanging out...being Gary.... I mean this is Gary Oak we are talking about. He'll pop up when we least expect it... why? Because hes Gary Oak....no one is safe from Gary Oak.

Hes just hanging out...being Gary.... I mean this is Gary Oak we are talking about. He'll pop up when we least expect it... why? Because hes Gary Oak....no one is safe from Gary Oak.

lol! i think he'll pop up eventually too.

Gary should meet Jun, if Jun ever meets Paul. I'd love to see that episode, crashing into each other.

They'll remember Gary exists again eventually.

I wanted him to meet Paul at one point too, but this was back in 2006 when it seemed like Gary was going to have a major role in Sinnoh...and then it didn't happen.

The writers seem to be focusing on the new characters more like Paul and Jun, which is understandable, especially since Gary won't be competing in the league or anything.

But I'm not holding my breath. Anyone find it ironic that Paul has been in almost as many episodes in just his 2 years as Gary has in the entire 12 year span of the anime?

I love Shigeru and all, but what with some real recurring gems ATM (Shinji, Jun, *sigh* I love those 2) I don't think he's necessary. If anything, I'm not sure, I just think he'd feel a bit out of place.

Yeah Gary was a tough opponent in the games like Firered and Leafgreen plus he's got an Electivire which is awesome but the writers also have Paul and Barry (Jun) so Ash has two rivals now in Sinnoh though I think Ash is more focused on beating Paul then Barry

The thing is Gary has always been a character that only shows up every now and then. I'm sure Gary will make an appearance again, but when is anyone's guess.

Shigeru showed up in an episode that premiered in 2007 (DP 045) and again in an episode that premiered in 2008 (DP 085). So he'll probably show up in the series one more time before 2009 is over with.

Is there any reason Gary appears so little though? Its been this way since Johto, where Gary only appeared 3 times prior to the league.

Is there problems with his Japanese VA or something?

I doubt it has anything to do with the VA. I mean, you could say the same about Tracey and Misty, or any of those old characters-- problem with VA? No. It's the way the show is going.

I was reeeally looking forward to Gary appearing more often since he did at the beginning of DP, but he just doesn't have a central role in the anime. I'm certain he'll pop up again, though. He was following the appearance of Azelf last time-- maybe it'll involve something like that? Who knows. I miss him, though. D: He's my favorite character.

I don't know, I mean Gary's cool and all but we got Paul and Barry so the writers have to focus more on the new characters than Gary, plus Gary doesn't even appear that much anyway he didn't made an appearance during Hoenn he only appeared a few times in Johto if you take out the Johto league, he didn't even appeared that much during Kanto which was his debut region

I doubt it has anything to do with the VA. I mean, you could say the same about Tracey and Misty, or any of those old characters-- problem with VA? No. It's the way the show is going.

As I recall, the entire reason Gary 'quit' his goal to be a Pokemon Master at the end of Johto was because his VA wanted to leave. Obviously, it worked within the show too - but his VA leaving the show was the main reason why he never returned (originally).

I'd expect that his VA simply agrees to the sporadic episode that's easier for them. It'd certainly explain the "one ep a year" thing he's got going in D/P.

Personally, less of Gary was always a good thing (saying that even as a Gary fanboy) - it just left you always wanting more.

I'd love it for Gary to return for one of the mini-arcs they've been having throughout D/P though. If you ask me, he'd be a great part to have in the Pokemon Hunter J story conclusion. (Prof Rowan is involved in that storyline too afterall, so it'd work pretty easily).

As I recall, the entire reason Gary 'quit' his goal to be a Pokemon Master at the end of Johto was because his VA wanted to leave. Obviously, it worked within the show too - but his VA leaving the show was the main reason why he never returned (originally).
Point. You'll notice I didn't check my facts thar. /embarrassed Though agreed, the VA likely agreed to Gary's rare appearances.

If you ask me, he'd be a great part to have in the Pokemon Hunter J story conclusion. (Prof Rowan is involved in that storyline too afterall, so it'd work pretty easily).
This! Since Gary's involved with Rowan and encountered Hunter J, he'd fit in perfectly. I've been waiting patiently for some kind of Hunter J episode to come up again, but leave it to Pokémon to drag things out.

Sorry again for being a retard. ;D

Somehow, I doubt J will be reappearing for quite some time, it would appear to be fairly likely that in the next few months the Team Galactic plot is going to come to a head (oddly enough, it looks to me as if it could time in exactly with the Arceus movie...) and at this point, I'd say J can only really return either one more time to steal a victory ahead of a final defeat or simply show up for a final confrontation otherwise her impact as a villain that's actually competent and dangerous would begin to crumble - so it's unlikely that'll take place in what will likely be quite a busy time for sub plots (not to mention the evolutions, contests and gyms all going on right now in the run up to the summer).

One thing I can see happening with Gary is a slow set up to him becoming the Viridian Gym Leader (after all, it's been made pretty clear they're looking for one...) that'll probably end up happening if/when a G/S remake finally gets announced...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom