• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your favorite and least favorite Pokemon anime series

Fav: DP, SM
Liked : OS, AG, BW
Least: XY

Journeys isn't over yet but I'm enjoying it a lot so far!

My list from favorite to least favorite:

1) OS
2) SM
3) AG
4) DP
5) BW
6) XY

I'll be interested to see where Journeys ends up for me. SM started off as my third favorite series, but by the end it had surpassed AG. Right now, Journeys probably comes between BW and XY for me, but it's been steadily improving.

From favorite to least favorite:
XY>AG>DP=OS>SM>BW

I'm not gonna include Journeys yet, because we've only seen 22 episodes and my final opinion needs at least 60 episodes (maybe more). But so far it's a charming series with a lot of faults, but quite enjoyable. I enjoy it more than early SM, but I wanna wait and see if it will become better or worse in the next episodes before I place it somewhere.

From favourite to least favourite:
OS>DP>AG>SM>BW>XY

If I had to put Journeys somewhere, so far it falls above Sun and Moon but below Advanced Generation for me.

XY=DP>PJ>AG=SM>BW=OS

XY and Diamond and Pearl:
Both great series, with minor flaws. I like the action relatated pokemon series more

Pokemon journeys:
So far I really enjoy it. I cant really rate it fully, because it hasnt ended yet, but it has potential to become my favorite series.

Advanced Generation and Sun and Moon:
You think, why would someone equal AG and SM? Well, it takes itself not that seriously, but has some good battles.

Black and White and Original Series:
Childhood memories aside those two series were total messes in story telling and battles. I dont like them. Sorry but not sorry.

AG and DP built up to XY, in that Ash was able to develop into a more strategic trainer, being a mentor figure and emotionally maturing. None of the kid who refused to get out of bed because he lost a match (although those circumstances were outside his control), or relied on luck to get through battles. AG giving the female companion her own goals and ambitions provided another main storyline, helping to cut down the filler and gave May, then Dawn and Serena more focus as well as exploring the bonds with their Pokemon. XY was the culmination of this, where Ash was recognised and respected, but it didn't go to his head and he was a strong trainer who knew he had more to learn.

SM is pretty good. Ash didn't go down to dumbass like BW, and the slice of life episodes helped to flesh out the supporting characters in Ash's class (making for more memorable filler). Having a central location instead of travelling around helped to build up the local community and cut down on characters of the day.

I understand that the OG has a lot of nostalgia behind it for many fans. Personally I don't have that nostalgia because the anime seasons I started watching were AG (specifically season 8 Advanced Battle and season 9 Battle Frontier) and watching week by week was DP.

BW was the worst for the characters. Ash's competence went down like a lead balloon, and Iris and Cilan paled in comparison to Dawn and Brock. Iris calling Ash a kid all the time go old, fast. Real life factors did hinder this series in that the Team Plasma arc was scrapped just before a major part of the arc.

Favourites: Original > Battle Frontier > XY/Diamond and Pearl series.

Middle: Orange Islands > Advanced Generation > Johto Journeys > Sun&Moon/Journeys series.

Least Favourite? Best Wishes series.

Last edited:
Favorite - SM, OS, AG

Least Favorite - BW, XY

Neutral - DP

Journeys is still on it's 1st Season so I'll hold my judgement til we get to the 3rd year but I like what I see so far.

Favorite series is DP because of all the ongoing subplots and the multitude of mini-arcs. My least favorite series is so far Journeys. It's been on for nearly a year now; there's still no main female character and the series hasn't stopped completely wasting the concept of region hopping, nor has it improved the issue of imbalanced character focus. I appreciate that might get better and I hope it does because when it is good it's really good, but at the moment that happens so infrequently that it's burned through its good faith and so I really only watch it now if there's something I particularly want to see, which isn't much aside from the Koharu and Eevee episode whenever that is.

Ignoring Journies my least favorite series is BW, but even that was enjoyable until the final season when it completely defecated in the bed, with a completely unsalvageable abortion of a League and a huge section of literally pure filler that it took me three attempts to finish. Orange Islands might have been a filler season but it had lots of story progression, Decalora Adventures didn't even have that.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom