• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which female companion did Ash have the least memorable interaction with?

Who had the least memorable interactions with Ash?

• Misty

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Dawn

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • May

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Iris

Votes: 33 42.3%

• Total voters

Cybersai

Reaction score
Ash has basically had different interactions with all 4 female characters he interacted with. While he was friends with all of them, he still acted slightly different toward each one. Now that Ash has had 4 different female friends, which one did he have the least memorable interaction with?

Do you think there's a female companion Ash had worse interactions with than others? And no, this is not a shipping topic, merely comparing their friendship and interactions.

Last edited by a moderator:
True that.

To be honest, Ash had all kinds of memorable interactions with each of the three girls.

Yeah, I agree, he's interacted well with all of them. Though, I suppose there does have to be one that he had the "least memorable", doesn't mean that it actually wasn't memorable though. I think Dawn, she did have good interactions with him just not as good as May's and Misty's. Even though I think Iris is too early to tell, even so far, I think she has very good interactions with Ash as well as Cilan. I think it would go something like this:

Misty>Iris?/May/Iris?/>Dawn

I'm not sure if Iris would be second or third, that's why as I stated earlier, it's too early to tell.

Yeah, it's too early to gauge Iris on this and still be fair. For the three others, it's hard to tell, as there's lots of memorable moments for all of them. I just can't choose, sorry.

I don't think Iris should be on the list yet. There's just too much stuff going on to see their interactions so soon. But May probably is the least. But that's what happens if you have more than three people in the group. Less interaction goes on.

I agree. Iris is at a disadvantage here because she was only present alongside Ash's adventures for only 40-something episodes.

It always felt to me that Ash has interacted with almost every single one of his female travelling companions to a greater degree than he had with the male companion that was travelling with them at the time. When we eliminate Iris out of the picture, it is difficult to gauge Ash's interactions with the other female leads.

Why put Iris on the list? She hasn't even been in a full series yet. Give her a break, Gliscor'd. Anyway, Misty definitely had the last memorable interactions with Ash. Despite being in 270+ episodes, she did barely anything with him.

I think Misty's interactions with Ash were fun at the beginning, but she kinda got ... nicer? It may just be my memory though.

In regards to Iris, she has this amazing chemistry with both Ash and Dento. I love it how writers found a way to have her interact with Dento and her snarky expressions towards his flamboyancy and yet bicker with Ash at the same time as a little kid.

Iris has been around for almost 50 episodes and 1 movie. That's a decent amount of time to gauge some interest.

Remember where we were 50 episodes into Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh? By that time we all knew what the Ash dynamic was with the first 3 girls.

I think the interaction between Ash and Iris is pretty memorable, and can be gauged readily enough. I'd put Iris at 1/2, with Misty being 1/2 as well. Dawn may be 3rd, or May could be 3rd. I didn't really watch the anime then, it being generally unbearable.
In regards to Iris, she has this amazing chemistry with both Ash and Dento. I love it how writers found a way to have her interact with Dento and her snarky expressions towards his flamboyancy and yet bicker with Ash at the same time as a little kid.
It's something like that. (Though sometimes Ash may be like the little kid, with Dawn asserting or pointing out his immaturity, in a snarky kind of way.)

It's funny, Ash and Dawn didn't bicker and yet their close bond kind of marked DP.

May, because she was the worst-written female character, in Hoenn, which was the 2nd worst-written region, next to Johto. At least Misty had Kanto and the Orange Islands to make up for it.

I will never "kodomo ne," let's just put it that way...

Probably Dawn for me. On her own, she was a good character, but let's just say that it's hard for me to make a pearlshipping amv XD There wasn't much conflict nor consolation. I think it was just Dawn's nature that made her more independent than the other girls, so her interaction with Ash (AKA, a mentor figure/punching bag) did not need to be explored as much.

(disclaimer: no, I don't gauge the memorable qualities of a character by shippyness, what are you talking about? it's subjective anyways)

I think the interaction between Ash and Iris is pretty memorable, and can be gauged readily enough. I'd put Iris at 1/2, with Misty being 1/2 as well. Dawn may be 3rd, or May could be 3rd. I didn't really watch the anime then, it being generally unbearable.It's something like that. (Though sometimes Ash may be like the little kid, with Dawn asserting or pointing out his immaturity, in a snarky kind of way.)

If you didn't watch the anime then, then why are you voting?

Iris. Sure it's early, but even that early, the other girls had better interactions.
The "What a child/You're such a kid" isn't even a comical interaction, it's cliched and dull. They don't have a huge bond, or any interesting/hilarious moments that all the other girls had.

Dawn was a cheerleader for Ash and they constantly talked about their goals.

Misty was the first girl (and perhaps the best)

Who can forget that annoying catchphrase

May I remember a little bit of May teasing Ash early on but the rest alludes me.

Iris really shouldn't be in this poll.

I mean we're comparing a girl who's been in 46 episodes with girls who have been in over 150 episodes. :/

Iris, because she's only been around for about 40 episodes.

Beyond that, all of the female leads are more 'different' than better or worse than each other.

With Misty, the dynamic between she and Ash was mostly one of Misty being more experienced and telling Ash what to do. And because Ash wants to do things his own way, he chaffed under this, which fueled a lot of the volatile chemistry (IE: Violence) between the two. This is more evident in Kanto than Orange or Johto. Togepi seemed to mellow her out, I guess.

The dynamic with May is just about the opposite of the dynamic with Misty: Ash is put into a position of experience over the newbie coordinator, and Ash shows that his experiences with Misty have taught him how NOT to tell May what to do. Their chemistry is a lot friendlier, with arguments between them never really being anything serious. Ash also seems pretty protective of May in a few episodes, such as Date Expectations, so he probably feels some responsibility to someone he considers his student.

The dynamic with Dawn is close to the dynamic with May, but there's no subordination: Ash and Dawn are placed just about at each-other's level, and instead of a student-teacher dynamic, we have two people who are friends. Like the May-Ash dynamic, there's little fighting between them, and they both help each other (famous examples including the Spin-Dodge the Counter Shield for Ash).

To be totally honest, I would say that Iris has the least memorable interactions, because... well... there are next to no scenes where there's actually legit interactions between Ash and Iris, i.e. where Ash reacts to something Iris says, where there's a legitimate back and forth between the two. Ash will do something, Iris will say, "Such a kid" and then... nothing. See, (and hell inhabitants, get ready to be frozen over) with Misty, at least the snide comments were picked up, Ash answered with his own snide comment, and there was a legit back and forth. There really isn't that bickering with Ash and Iris, it just falls flat. Even with Dawn in early DP episodes, Ash got annoyed at her sleeping in a tent and her taking too long to get ready. She got annoyed when he was too patronizing. There was some bickering here and there, but also some very touching moments where you could tell that they really cared (AS FRIENDS.) about each other, and wanted to help the other out like after Dawn's two contest losses in the appeal rounds or after Ash's loss in his first full battle to Paul. With May, the mentoring relationship in my opinion really worked and lead to some great scenes between the two.

The problem in my opinion with Iris' interactions is that neither extreme is really ever reached, neither the bickering kinda friendship/hate relationship, nor the really full-on-friendship-let's-support-each-other-til-the-end interactions. Misty had the first extreme, May had the second extreme and Dawn went from one to the other over the course of DP as far as the characters themselves grew. But in BW, neither Ash not Cilan really pick up on anything Iris does or says, nor really seem to care about her, and vice-versa.

Back
Top Bottom