• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which gen had the best starters?

The best starters are the Johto starters but they had the worst storyline. Every evolution is truly lovely, and every single has power!

I can tell you which region did not have the best Starters: Isshu.

After looking at their fully evolved stats and typing, I can honestly say I'm quite dissapointed.

Grass guy is a not quite as bulky, not quite as fast mash up of Meganium and Sceptile. Extremely underwhelming, but still quite average

Fire/Fighting. FIRE FIGHTING!!!!! AGAIN!!!! I don't care that it has the highest Attack stat of all the Starters to date. IT'S ANOTHER FREAKING FIRE/FIGHTING!!!! WHAT THE FUCK!!!! Also, it's the worst of the three Fire/Fighing Pokemon due to crap speed and crap defenses. All it's got going for it is attacking stats and that's not enough to tip the scale

Water guy. Arguably the best one here, and it's still bad. Horrible speed puts it below so many Water Pokemon. Terrible bulk puts it below so many others. Decent attacking stats and better speed than the pig help out. This makes it the best Isshu Starter, but still one of the worst Water Starters, Starters in general, and Water types in general.

Of course, their movepools will make or break them, but at this very moment, I have to say they're probably the worst Starter group in the series so far. Oh well, at least they look cool.

My favorite region's Starters are mostly tied between Kanto and Johto, but Kanto has Bulbasaur, my all time favorite Pokemon and ruler of the known universe, so I'll give it to them.

Hoenn comes in third, mostly because I really don't liek Mudkipz but Treecko and Torchic are epic. Gen IV comes in fourth because the monkey is just awful. My leasat favorite Pokemon to date. At least they have Turtwig and Piplup which rock.

So, to reiterate:

1. Kanto- Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle

2. Johto- Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile

3. Hoenn- Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip

4. Sinnoh- Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup

5. Isshu- Tsutarja, Pokabu, Mijumaru

Hey! I just noticed they're in National Pokedex order

In terms of design, I love the Johto starters. If only they had better moves and types.
In terms of usefulness, stats, movepools, I say, Hoenn and Sinnoh are pretty much tied. Sceptile and Swampert are some of the best. Infernape and Empoleon are great too.
Blaziken and Torterra suck, though
Gen I are ok, I'm not really fond of them. Gen V are a complete mess.

Dissapointed with Isshu starters.

I can't see a Defensive Grass type working too well.

Fire Guy. TOO SLOW. No really. Slow Fire types don't work at all. Blaziken is UU because it has a base speed of 80, which decent but this one is even slower. And its Fire/Fighting. FAIL! Reminds me of Hariyama (Which ROCKS, btw.)

Water one looks cool. I was hoping that it was the real thing before and I'm happy it is. Its still slow and that won't serve it too well.

I can't really see the logic in making a Pokemon intended to be wall so fast and make a Pokemon intended to be mixed sweeper slow. I really can't.

-------------

Hoenn had the best starter, I feel.

We got Sceptile, the fast special sweeper who can easily double up as physical sweeper with Swords Dance.

We have Blaziken, the kick boxing chicken. That alone makes it epic but it just gets better when you see its capabilities. An excellent Wall Breaker, especially in UU.

And there's Swampert. I never understood why Mudkipz are so popular but Swampert rocks. Only one weakness (albeit a 4x one) and a great deal of resistances gives you a great bulky water. Immunity to Sandstorm, resistance to Stealth Rock, as well as the ability to set up SR reliably, a great attack stat and the movepool to use it to great effect as well STAB earthquake results in an superb lead.

Yes, Hoenn rocks.

-------------

Kanto had some great starters too.

Venusaur is epic. A pokemon that can play multiple roles with deadly effect. That Poison type lends some great moves too as other wise, its movepool would have been limited.

Blastoise. I can't use him that well but it's a decent Pokemon. Those cannons are epic even though they look wierd.

Charizard is an over rated piece of shit. I will make no further mention of that horrible thing.

-------------

Torterra is damn good. STAB Earthquake with that great attack stat is to be feared. Unfortunately, with that quad weakness and low speed as well as lower Sp.Defense, I find it hard to use.

Empoleon. Its awesome. Because its name is taken from Napoleon. That is all.

Infernape is bad. Its a great Pokemon to use but I hate it. Its doesn't look as cool as Blaziken.

-------------

Meganium, I never really cared for. Bayleaf is better looking and Meganium just isn't that good whne there are better options.

Typhlosion isn't that good either but it was my first Pokemon when I got my first game(Silver.) So I'm a bit partial to it.

Feraligatr. The Gyarados od UU? Yes please.

-------------

1) Hoenn
2) Kanto
3) Sinnoh
4) Johto
5) Isshu

/rant.

I don't care about looks (in that case Kanto wins hand-down)
so let's evaluate the starters considering the games they were in.

Kanto: Bulbasaur-Great Pokémon its only drawback is the Poison typing but it still could take Psychic attacks. My favorite starter of all time, Leech Seed and Sleep/Poison Powder always gave you an advantage.

Charmander-Once evolved it was really powerful, just too weak to Rock but still many people's favorite and for a reason.

Squirtle-I never used it before until now, it is..okay..the worst of the trio though.

Johto: Chikorita-Crap...period..didn't help that it was weak to the first two gyms.

Cyndaquil-The best of this batch, so easy to use this guy, almost always ended up like 15 levels over the rest of my team. Great Pokémon.

Totodile-Back then it was not that great to have a Water type with superb attack (Hello Kingler). In the remakes it's probably better but considering that Surf is probably the best Water move and it's Special it still suffers there. Many like it though (I don't)

Hoenn:Treecko-Awesome, it's supposed to sweep and it does it thanks to the Speed. I won't forget my Leaf Blade/ThunderPunch/Earthquake/I forgot Sceptile, it raped everything. Proved that Pure Grass is not bad, it's just Chikorita that is bad.

Torchic: Fire/Fighting??? I pass.

Mudkip: Great Typing, STAB Surf and Earthquake??? Awesome. Now you herd I liek them...

Sinnoh: I still haven't played this one too much but..

Turtwig: Cool but too slow.

Chimchar: Fire/Fighting again??? Pass..

Piplup: I like it's dual typing but it's not easy to raise, also it needs help otherwise it's raped early in the game.

So my ranking is: 1)Kanto 2)Hoenn 3)Sinnoh 4)Johto

Sinnoh has the best starters, they all have good looking final forms and all three have interesting dual types. My favorite starter overall is Swampert.

Johto, hands down. Just the best looking, and somewhat powerful.
i would order them:
Cyndaquil
totodile
chikorita.
not a big fan of their evolutions, though.
also, i would give honorable mention to mudkipz. because...mudkipz.

Johto Starters.
Simply because i love everything in Gen. II, the designs are simple but better than GenI's ones.
IMO

Johto Starters.
Simply because i love everything in Gen. II, the designs are simple but better than GenI's ones.
IMO
true, true. I wasnt really old enough to get some of it when blue came out, so Gen II were when I really was into it, so that might be a little bias?

The Hoenn starters, because of their awesome signature moves(Blaze Kick, Muddy Water and Leaf Blade), and Mudkip and Torchic's evolved forms' secondary types.

Last edited:
Hoenn. Interesting typing, dynamic design, all fun to use.

Johto had the worst starters. Very bland designs (outside of Cyndaquil) and bland typing.

Kanto Starters- I will always have a spot for the original starters
Hoenn Starters- First game I played. I've used all of them. So I know them inside and out
Isshu Starters- They are the most badass looking of them all.

Hoenn starters are the best. They all have awesome looking stats and Swampert is bad-ass

Hoenn for sure, awesome design, awesome moves, perfect evolutions, and just a pretty overall beasty feel.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom