• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which season has your favorite art style?

I think people meant that Dento looks pretty derp (or that he belongs in Professor Layton) without proper irises compared to Ash's sparkly desu.

That being said, the more traditional animation in the old seasons (of which I prefer traditional anime style in general) to the newer ones that rely on digital. Digital animation seems to hinder people from hard effort with laziness in a lot of shows... (I mean look at moe anime from the 90s and compare their detail to a moe one today)

Late Johto/Raiko! Legend of Thunder! has to be my all-time fave. The color is smooth, and lines don't lack as much as D/P's thickness of lines, mostly in the Pokemon.

My favorite animation was definitely back in Kanto/Orange/Johto. The hand-drawn stuff just looks a lot nicer to me. Late Johto and early AG looked great too, but late AG and DP...ugh. I agree with zel, it DOES look derpy.

Actually, I really like the animation/drawing style of late Johto too! The colors were definitely richer and the lineart really popped out for some reason. It looked like they spent more time on it ^^;
pokemon_master_quest_s05e64-gotta_catch_ya_lateravi_000753586.jpg

I'm sorry (really- I hate to bring back up this issue of eyes), but for that picutre in particular, Ash's eye reminds me of...

this guy.

(But I thought the same thing for Pokabu, regarding its and Astroboy's face.)

In terms of coloring...

I liked how the digital paint episodes of late Johto and the first fifty, sixty, or seventy or so episodes of Hoenn had rich colors. I dunno... as Hoenn progressed, I didn't really see that. I don't think it was that I was just used to the digital paint because I looked at shots from the episodes I mentioned earlier and they still looked rich and "shiny."

The high-def D&P episodes look rich and nice to be, though. I also like the coloring style from the first and third movies. (Although the screenshots, I think, look better on places like here than on the American DVD.)

I also like how the sixth movie art style is.

You see, the problem I have with the Kanto/Johto animation is that the animation was too messy. Not that I have a problem with hand-drawn animation. It's just that it doesn't look as nice as digital animation does to me.

That's why I loved DP's. It was much more clear and nicer to look at, IMO.

I love how everyone who is bawwing about his new eyes use that cap to prove their point... His eyes look a lot smaller in the other scenes, that one is just very badly animated.
I noticed a lot of people commented on what I said. About this, sorry! It's just that's the pic where you can see it best. I just got used to Ash's eyes. It's not like my avatar (that's a special effect, not a permanent change). I'm just REALLY BADLY SENTIMENTAL. (And again, it is kinda careful what you wish for- I WANTED to see the brown eyes more, and this is what GAMEFREAK gave us)

I love Best Wishes, I just love at the rich colors they've been putting in it. Especially the trees :) they look really pretty.

yeah, late Johto was pretty nice, dudes. Misty looked amazing in those episodes. (The red hair made her stand out. Brock looked to, what the word? ...Grand?

I also likes early DP - Kinoshita's episodes were very distinct in their animation.

I did notice Battle Frontier, aside from the Iwane eps, had this really rushed look to the animation.

I don't know if its because the writers/animators were rushing to get it done before DP came out or not, but you can tell a lot of cut corners in that arc.

I prefer the art from the Kanto and early Johto episodes. I remember the anime more fondly at that point, and as such I'm more used to that art style. Just shows how art style can have an effect on things.

Late Johto, Advanced, Diamond and Pearl and Best wishes are/were the best in my opinion.

End of DP, and late Johto. Also some AG episode were nice. I don't like the new BW animation such as the clouds of the over exaggerated face styles they have going on now.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom