• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who Do You Most Commonly Use As Main Characters in Your Fanfics?

Who is Your Primary Character Group For Writing With?

• Ash and Company (Ash, Misty, Brock, Tracey)

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Team Rocket Members (Jessie, James, Meowth, Giovanni, Domino, etc.)

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Minor "Good" Characters (Casey, Ritchie, Duplica, etc.)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Non-TR Villians (Annie and Oakley, Jirarudan (if he's a villian...), etc.)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Gym Leaders/Elites (Sabrina, Erika, Morty, etc.)

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Original Characters

Votes: 68 54.8%
  • Pokémon (As in POVs, or stories focusing on a Pokémon)

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Many or all of the above

Votes: 13 10.5%

• Total voters
When I still wrote Pocket Monster fanfics, they were littered with the members of the Shitennou and various Gym leaders, because I'm a dork like that. Man, I liked to make Wataru suffer. Good times. I have, however, tried to write from the perspectives of Satoshi & Co. as well as other characters with utter and complete failure. I just don't understand them very well. o_x

I write about Ash and the gang, especially if I am writing Pokémon crossover fics. The one I am currently writing involves a 16-year-old Ash because the main character Street Fighter Zero/Alpha's Sakura Kasugano is in it. It's a little awkward, but some people liked it.

But writing a story focused on a Pokémon is pretty interesting (and even read a few.) It's good to hear what was the Pokémon thinking of his/her POV. I am planning to write one myself. (It's still in the planning stages. It is about a Machop that thinks and acts like a dragon because she is raised by a Salamence.)

I do a bunch...

The current fic I'm working on is original character and I really enjoy it. I love making up a character and their background and placing them in the Pokemon world. Plus, assembling their teams is tons of fun.

I also like to write about Satoshi and the gang. I have a good handle of their personalities and relationships IMO and believe I write them okay. Most of them are poke-shipping though ^^; I like Team Rocket, but I just *can't* write them. Well, I can but it turns out bad. My goal is to make a good TR fic.

I also like writing about minor characters. For some reason, I have a fascination with Lisa from the third Pokemon movie. *shrugs* Blame it on Lisa Ortiz. So, I am planning on writing a fic about her with maybe appearences by Casey.

I also like Jun'ichi, Kenta, and Marina. They're pretty fun, plus, not all their Pokemon are stated yet and they have an interesting relationship with each other.

Of course, I have barely written any fics at all finished, but I like writing about Satoshi-tachi, Lisa (with Casey), Kenta-tachi, and my own original people.

I always do it about Ash and the Gang. I dunno why, I can't picture one without them. However, I've considered doing one about Gold and another one about Brendon. But, I decided against it since I don't know if they'll show up [,again in Gold's case,] in the show.

It's so much more *fun* to write about Ash-tachi, though! There's something so amusing about literally having his life under your eagerly typing fingers...

Mine tend to focus on Pokemon mainly. I prefer books and movies about animals because they're so fascinating, and I alsways like that sense of living in a world you can't control... like how in "Guilty by Design", a fic I've posted everywhere but here, Champ the Hitmonchan has no control over his life. He is forced to do as his trainer wants, even if it means having to kill Meowth kittens for training.

I don't write stories yet, but the ones I have thought about and have in my head are both original character stories. The first is about a trio of Eevee; the second is about a guy and his shiny Sentret. I've never really felt the need to write about cannon characters or "evil teams" trying to rule the world with Pokémon. (Though I suppose actually ruling the world with Pokémon unbeknownst to the rest of the world might count in the second one....)

If I were to use cannon characters, I would probably put them in as, say, TV show characters.

Wow, this thread is old. o_O

Old thread but hey this is Bulbagarden
I usually use Ash, Misty, members of Team Rocket, favorite filler characters, favorite gymleaders and some of my original Marana crew for fanfics. However, one time I did a fanfic on May's Torchic in her point of view in a filler episode.

It *is* normal behavior for a writer's favorite character to be the one that is victimized the most...right?

Totally agree! I sometimes write fanfics in my head to pass the time:-D They usually involve Kellyn & Solana/Kate (it alternates, I can't decide) and they're on a Mission, something terrible happens, Kellyn gets a life-threatening injury/illness, girl cries, miracle happens, day is saved, blah blah blah, yeah. I occasionally reverse the roles, but I don't do it often.

I used to write fanfictions in my head a long time ago, where whatever boy from whatever series I happened to like would get sick just so I (or my character) could be his nurse. Yeah I was lame:dumb:

When I actually write my fanfiction, I tend to have Ash & Co. meet Kellyn & Solana again ('cause the show needs more rangers!) and they get in some sort of predicament (like Ash & co. usually do) . I try to keep Ash & co. in the spotlight, but the rangers get the lead 'cause I love 'em too much:shy:

I'm writing one about an OC, but the key word here is one. It's my one and only journey fic I'll ever write. When (or if) I finish, I'll probably just go back to my habit that I said at the top of this post.

Wow, I made a long post. Oh, well. :)

I find my fanfiction to be Magma-centric, or just the conflict between Teams. Villains seem to have much more character than the heroes, and are just too much fun to write.

Well, I tend to use original characters (with the occasional anime characters) and Pokémon ;3 Mostly original characters. I take on original plots with original storylines. It's funner for me :3

Last edited:
If were ever to write a Pokémon fic, it would be game characters. Thsoe characters are familiar to every fan, but since they lack personality, I could do anything with them.

I usually write for main characters- I'm just so used to them. I change their background a lot in my stories too though. So that kind of makes them seem 'original' to me. I mainly focus on friendship and romance and humor type of story line...so it's easy to use characters I've seen and know a lot about.
I love Pokemon, but they really aren't in my area of expertise.

OCs for me. I'm not too interested in the main characters from the games or anime, plus for me it's kind of hard to write in the point of view of a canon character. I just always feel like I don't know the person that well to really write well on him.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom