• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who Do You Want To See in the Next Super Smash Bros. Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think characters from Atlus games will appear as well? Persona/TraumaCenter/etc...? TraumaCenter had all its games on the DS and the Wii... though it's a bit hard to imagine how doctors can fight...XDD

There is no Persona game for Nintendo consoles yet, so it is pretty much impossible to have a character of the said franchise present in Smash Bros. I can see a character from the Shin Megami Tensei franchise being present though, like the protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei IV, Jack Frost (Atlus' mascot) or maybe the Devil Survivor protagonist.

Edit: I also wouldn't mind Ghirahim playable in SSB4. He is awesome.
Oh, so Persona's not for the Nintendo console. The Trauma Center series are all on the DS/Wii, so if they find a way they might be able to appear XDD Since the playable characters in this series are all doctors, maybe they could have healing abilities (inb4 using scalpels and syringes in an E rated game lol)

I want to see the Two trainers from X and Y with a shared slot, using the Gen VI starters like they did in Brawl. Also, Magnus from Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I want to see the Two trainers from X and Y with a shared slot

Why? Red doesn't share a spot with Leaf, if anything only a female trainer from Generation V (Hilda or Rosa) should be a playable character in SSB4. Sakurai hardly use stuff from recently released games, that is why I am not considering Serena. By the way, if anyone from Uprising is appearing in SSB4, I think it is Palutena.

I want to see the Two trainers from X and Y with a shared slot

Why? Red doesn't share a spot with Leaf, if anything only a female trainer from Generation V (Hilda or Rosa) should be a playable character in SSB4. Sakurai hardly use stuff from recently released games, that is why I am not considering Serena. By the way, if anyone from Uprising is appearing in SSB4, I think it is Palutena.

I know it's PROBABLY gonna be Palutena, but I don't see her as much of a fighter. I really WANT it to be Magnus. Also, if SSB4 comes out 2014, X and Y will be a few months old, but I see your point.

Medusa please ;_;
Palutena could always get a move set out of thin air but I feel like Medusa would be more interesting. There aren't enough villains in Smash Bros. Let alone any female villain.

Hey guys, I know this isn't really very likely because of Mewtwo (>_>), but wouldn't it be awesome to play as Keldeo? I'd imagine this to be his moveset:

Standard B: Water Gun (works like Squirtle's in Brawl)
Side B: Aqua Jet (could work like a side recovery move too)
Up B: Hydro Pump (Keldeo would fly for a short time with this move like he does in his movie by shooting the water from his hooves)
Down B: Sacred Sword

Final Smash: Secret Sword (Keldeo transforms to Resolute form and kicks ass)

Keldeo's A moves would utilize his hooves and probably a little water. Maybe even his horn too.

I'd really like to see a female FE character in the new SSB, as well as Chrom. It'd be really cool if Giygas was a boss!

A trophy for the ultimate chimera. I mean I know what it is, but Nintendo, Mother 3 isn't the your most well known game. This is quite jarring, when you consider that every (I think) background pokemon got a trophy in brawl.

Characters from Meteos XDD

Or at least a stage or music from it!
I love that game and was kinda surprised nothing in the series showed up in Brawl, especially since Sakurai is director of both series.

Super Mario: Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., Toad

Zelda: Midna & Wolf Link, Masks Link (battles exclusively with masks from Majora's Mask)

Metroid: Dark Samus (if you've played the Prime series, you know she's very different from Samus)

Pokémon: Serena w/Froakie/Chespin/Fennekin evolutionary lines, Awakened Form Mewtwo

Star Fox: Krystal (lot of potential with that staff)

Fire Emblem: Chrom or Lucina (Awakening was waaay to popular for someone not to make it in)

Kid Icarus: Magnus

Animal Crossing: Tom Nook (could be a thematic counterpoint to the Villager)

Custom Robo: Ray 01 (version of the Ray was used as an assist trophy in Brawl if you're unfamiliar)

Sonic: Knuckles and/or Tails

Last edited:
Despite me being a pokefan Fawful Is my favorite villain, Best speeches, I own BiS and I want him on SSB, Hes such epicness.

Zelda: Midna & Wolf Link, Masks Link (battles exclusively with masks from Majora's Mask)

They're probably not going to reference Zelda games that old, this game is probably going to do more stuff with Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks. I see no reason to add any more Zelda characters anyway.

Metroid: Dark Samus (if you've played the Prime series, you know she's very different from Samus)

Except she's dead, and hasn't been in a Metroid game in years. The only Metroid rep that has enough significance or relevance to appear as a character would be Meta Ridley.

Pokémon: Serena w/Froakie/Chespin/Fennekin evolutionary lines, Awakened Form Mewtwo

Awakened Form Mewtwo can easily be a transformation or Final Smash for Mewtwo, and I don't think they'll add in another trainer character with the possible exception of N.

Star Fox: Krystal (lot of potential with that staff)

As long as she's different enough from Fox, Falco, and Wolf, she'd be more than welcome in the game.

Custom Robo: Ray 01 (version of the Ray was used as an assist trophy in Brawl if you're unfamiliar)

Custom Robo? What's that.

Seriously, this game isn't really well known enough for a character rep.

They don't seem to want third party characters to overshadow first party characters. I don't think any other Sonic character has a chance.

They're probably not going to reference Zelda games that old, this game is probably going to do more stuff with Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks. I see no reason to add any more Zelda characters anyway.

Sheik's in Brawl. Ocarina of Time came out in 1998 and Brawl came out in 2008. I imagine the implication here is that Girahnim stands more of a chance and I can't say I specifically disagree, but I could honestly care less if he shows up, and if he did it seems to me that he'd serve better as a boss character, assuming that there's bosses again anyway.

Except she's dead, and hasn't been in a Metroid game in years. The only Metroid rep that has enough significance or relevance to appear as a character would be Meta Ridley.

OK, couple of things: Ganondorf's killed off all the time and Sheik is a character who's only appeared in one iteration of the series. Of course, Ganaondorf's sort of a perennial villain, but that's not really the point. Also, Smash smash doesn't typically seem to care that much for sticking to cannon: any number of stages in the series make reference to things that didn't happen or takes liberties to make things more interesting or fun.

And I hardly think Prime's ad hoc version of Ridley is representative of Prime's place in the series as a whole.

Awakened Form Mewtwo can easily be a transformation or Final Smash for Mewtwo, and I don't think they'll add in another trainer character with the possible exception of N.

Well, given that Mewtwo was booted from the series it seems to me like he'd be making a rather triumphant and justified return if he were to come back with a new coat of paint so to speak. In terms of his Awakened Form being a transformation, I can't really see it happening: yes, Mewtwo definitely looks different from his alternate form, but is he really distinct enough to justify a transformation in same way as Sheik, Zero Suit Samus or Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard? As a Final Smash I could see it, but not as a transformation.

Assuming the developers see a need for more female characters in the series as much as fans do, I don't see any reason why one of the female player characters from the series couldn't make an appearance, especially given that X & Y have been in development for even longer than SSB4 and would have been known about internally. Given that Gen VI's starters also seem to be serving as its de facto mascots and that they'll have been known about longer than any other Pokémon in the games or any kind of distinct location, I see no better way to ring in the next generation of Pokémon games in Smash than with a new character.

Also, I fail to see N as a likely candidate: would he just befriend the Pokémon hidden in the grass an water around the stage before the fight? It's not like he had any of his own besides Reshiram/Zekrom.

As long as she's different enough from Fox, Falco, and Wolf, she'd be more than welcome in the game.

You seem to be switching from criticism of my choices based on likelihood to personal or assumed fan-based preference or approval, but that's fine I guess. Regardless, if you've played Star Fox Adventures (and I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't already) you'd know that there's plenty to differentiate her from any of the other Star Fox characters with the staff alone.

Marth, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, Pit, Lucas and R.O.B. would like a word with you. Besides, six trophies from Custom Robo have appeared in the series so far and, again, the Ray Mk III appeared as an assist trophy in Brawl. The series clearly isn't forgotten and if Nintendo would like to draw more attention to the series there's no better place to do that than Smash, a franchise that literally sells consoles. Just because it isn't well known doesn't mean it's unknown.

They don't seem to want third party characters to overshadow first party characters. I don't think any other Sonic character has a chance.

Given how friendly Nintendo's been getting with Sega lately, to make no mention of the extreme disappointment that would surely accompany the absence of Sonic, there's no reason why his series couldn't get a few more reps, given that Sakurai's hesitancy in attaining more third-party characters has a lot to do with the hurdles they have to leap in terms of character representation and legal stuff.

Finally, I'd like to point out that this thread is titled "Who Do You Want To See in the Next Super Smash Bros. Game?" I never made any mention of likelihood in my original post: my suggested characters were those whom I desired to see.

Last edited:
tumblr_mml315evsm1sn3xs2o1_400.gif
I'm surprised you've played Brawl and haven't heard of Custom Robo.
But anyway, yeah, what Ruttager said. Custom Robo was undoubtedly more popular than Kid Icarus at the time of Brawl's release.
If Sakurai only sticked with Nintendo series everyone knows the roster would be much less diverse.
Sheik's in Brawl.
Sheik had concept art for Twilight Princess and they used that as a design basis. But yeah, she probably would've been in Brawl regardless.

Sheik's in Brawl. Ocarina of Time came out in 1998 and Brawl came out in 2008. I imagine the implication here is that Girahnim stands more of a chance and I can't say I specifically disagree, but I could honestly care less if he shows up, and if he did it seems to me that he'd serve better as a boss character, assuming that there's bosses again anyway.

Sheik was introduced in Melee (at the earliest, IDK if she was in the original), when that game came out, Ocarina of Time was much more relevant since the most recent 3D Zelda game at that time would've been either Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

OK, couple of things: Ganondorf's killed off all the time and Sheik is a character who's only appeared in one iteration of the series. Of course, Ganaondorf's sort of a perennial villain, but that's not really the point. Also, Smash smash doesn't typically seem to care that much for sticking to cannon: any number of stages in the series make reference to things that didn't happen or takes liberties to make things more interesting or fun.

To the contrary, the fact that Ganondorf is a perennial villain (the main villain, to be exact) is exactly the point, despite dying in every game. Sheik reappeared because she's an alternate form of another important character, Zelda. So then can keep her forever if they want.

Looking at the Metroid series, Dark Samus was only in two games and was killed off in Metroid Prime 3, most likely for good. She's not relevant to the series anymore. The only two Metroid characters that consistently play significant roles in the series are Samus and Meta Ridley, so those two have the best shot. Besides that, they could probably include Adam Malkovich since he played an important role in Other M and was also referenced in Fusion, but that's about it.

And I hardly think Prime's ad hoc version of Ridley is representative of Prime's place in the series as a whole.

Ridley/Meta Ridley, whatever. I don't think it makes much sense for him to go back to his original form in future games.

Well, given that Mewtwo was booted from the series it seems to me like he'd be making a rather triumphant and justified return if he were to come back with a new coat of paint so to speak. In terms of his Awakened Form being a transformation, I can't really see it happening: yes, Mewtwo definitely looks different from his alternate form, but is he really distinct enough to justify a transformation in same way as Sheik, Zero Suit Samus or Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard? As a Final Smash I could see it, but not as a transformation.

I don't think his new form will act like a carbon copy of his original form, that would defeat the purpose of him having a new form.

Assuming the developers see a need for more female characters in the series as much as fans do, I don't see any reason why one of the female player characters from the series couldn't make an appearance, especially given that X & Y have been in development for even longer than SSB4 and would have been known about internally. Given that Gen VI's starters also seem to be serving as its de facto mascots and that they'll have been known about longer than any other Pokémon in the games or any kind of distinct location, I see no better way to ring in the next generation of Pokémon games in Smash than with a new character.

If you're worried about not having a female trainer, they can just include one as an alternate skin for the character (like instead of having alternate colors, they give the Pokemon trainer different trainer models like Ethan, May, Dawn, etc). Having another character like Pokemon Trainer would be unnecessary, none of the other player characters are anywhere near as well known and popular as Red. He's the only Pokemon trainer rep because he's the only one that most Pokemon fans recognize (seeing as 1st and 2nd gen were the height of the series' popularity). Same thing with the starters, people identify the 1st gen starters much more than any other set of starters, the 6th gen starters are no more popular than the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th gen starters, so I see no reason for them to get special treatment.

Also, I fail to see N as a likely candidate: would he just befriend the Pokémon hidden in the grass an water around the stage before the fight? It's not like he had any of his own besides Reshiram/Zekrom.

It's a bit of a stretch, admittedly, but considering he played a major role in the 5th gen games, I fully expect him to be referenced in some way, if not as a character, at least through a stage (N's Castle would be a perfect stage to include in the game). Either way, he's the most likely character to be included if they really feel they need another trainer character.

Marth, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, Pit, Lucas and R.O.B. would like a word with you. Besides, six trophies from Custom Robo have appeared in the series so far and, again, the Ray Mk III appeared as an assist trophy in Brawl. The series clearly isn't forgotten and if Nintendo would like to draw more attention to the series there's no better place to do that than Smash, a franchise that literally sells consoles. Just because it isn't well known doesn't mean it's unknown.

I don't think Custom Robo has ever had the popularity those other franchises had, so I don't think they really care about it.

Also, @FairyGaga; I was kidding about not knowing Custom Robo, it was a joke about it being too unknown/unpopular.

Given how friendly Nintendo's been getting with Sega lately, to make no mention of the extreme disappointment that would surely accompany the absence of Sonic, there's no reason why his series couldn't get a few more reps, given that Sakurai's hesitancy in attaining more third-party characters has a lot to do with the hurdles they have to leap in terms of character representation and legal stuff.

The deal they made with SEGA is certainly enough for Sonic himself to stay for another game, and I don't think he'll be removed, but I fail to see how this deal entitles SEGA to include additional Sonic characters in the roster. Besides, since SEGA has been trying to change the roles that the characters play in the Sonic series, I don't think any of the extra characters have the relevance that they used to at this point in time. So we might see characters like Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy show up, but not as playables, probably as Assist Trophies at best.

Sheik was introduced in Melee (at the earliest, IDK if she was in the original), when that game came out, Ocarina of Time was much more relevant since the most recent 3D Zelda game at that time would've been either Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

She wasn't in the original; Zelda wasn't in the original.

Anyway, given that some characters who were introduced in Melee, like Ganondorf, a clone character with a near-copied moveset, made the transition from Melee to Brawl while others with, including Mewtwo, a character with a distinct and unique moveset, didn't as well as the fact that she didn't actually appear in Twilight Princess but was instead based on concept art made specifically for the team working on Brawl as FairyGaga said, there's no reason Sheik couldn't have been removed from the roster in the transition from Melee to Brawl and Princess Zelda simply be given another move for her down B. Furthermore, since some characters from Melee were even somewhat repurposed versions of Melee characters, like Toon Link and Lucario to some extent, there's also no reason that another character couldn't have taken some of her moves and traits to replace her in Brawl.

To the contrary, the fact that Ganondorf is a perennial villain (the main villain, to be exact) is exactly the point, despite dying in every game. Sheik reappeared because she's an alternate form of another important character, Zelda. So then can keep her forever if they want.

OK, so, you've gone from debating likelihood of a new, somewhat lesser-known character being introduced to saying that an established one's presence is more essential? That seems obvious to the point of redundancy and doesn't address my point. To get back to that point: in your original post all you gave for your speculative reason for Dark Samus not to appear is simply that "she's dead". So, no, the fact that Ganondorf's a perennial villain is still not the point. And Sheik didn't reappear because she's an alternate form of a character, especially given that said character is a different person in most iterations of the series and that the form hasn't been seen as an alter-ego for the character since its singular appearance, they kept her because she's a fun and interesting character to use. The fact that a character like Mewtwo, a character who is available in every game in the main-series who had an interesting but ultimately weak moveset, was removed, plus the fact that, again, a version of the character who wouldn't have otherwise existed had to be drawn up to be kept in the game proves this.

Additionally, you also said originally that Meta Ridley, a character who also only appeared in the Prime series, is a better choice despite the fact that he "hasn't been in a Metroid game in years". Ridley appeared in the only Metroid game released since the Prime series, Other M, and is the recurring villain of the series, so, by your logic, he'd be the better choice. In that respect I can't really disagree, but he's too big, so...

Looking at the Metroid series, Dark Samus was only in two games and was killed off in Metroid Prime 3, most likely for good. She's not relevant to the series anymore. The only two Metroid characters that consistently play significant roles in the series are Samus and Meta Ridley, so those two have the best shot. Besides that, they could probably include Adam Malkovich since he played an important role in Other M and was also referenced in Fusion, but that's about it.

Yeah, no, the fact that she's a part of the series as a whole and arguably the most important part of a highly-acclaimed arc in the series, which is much more than can be said for the likes of Other M, makes her relevant. Adam Malkovich was a supporting character in Other M, has still only appeared in a single game and was almost totally inactive in the game itself. Dark Samus was a boss in two games, three if you consider that she's actually Metroid Prime itself, and gives the designers much, MUCH more to go on in terms of a moveset. I think you either underestimate the importance of the Prime games to the series as a whole, haven't played them or both.

Ridley/Meta Ridley, whatever. I don't think it makes much sense for him to go back to his original form in future games.

He was in his original form in Other M. I'm not sure at this point what you think would be more "relevant" given that you've said multiple times that you think anything from the Prime games should be left in the dust.

I don't think his new form will act like a carbon copy of his original form, that would defeat the purpose of him having a new form.

You've misunderstood my meaning: what is the layperson, who may not have played Pokémon since Red & Blue, or ever for that matter, who sees this transform into this see as significantly different? Colour scheme's the same. Various morphological traits as very similar. Still bipedal. It's not like he's wearing clothes that could change. Sure, we Pokémon players who have internalized the designs of various characters will see the two as different, but the Smash games don't tend to worry too much about minutiae. If they did, Wolf would have sleeves, Sheik wouldn't be in Brawl, the villager wouldn't be doing this, Fox wouldn't have a blaster and Kirby wouldn't be able to use a hammer without looking like this. Reintroducing Mewtwo in his new form alone would a) reintroduce the character, b) introduce an element of X & Y to a group of people who may not be aware of them, c) be more visually striking and d) provide a metanarrative reason to bring the character back.

If you're worried about not having a female trainer, they can just include one as an alternate skin for the character (like instead of having alternate colors, they give the Pokemon trainer different trainer models like Ethan, May, Dawn, etc). Having another character like Pokemon Trainer would be unnecessary, none of the other player characters are anywhere near as well known and popular as Red. He's the only Pokemon trainer rep because he's the only one that most Pokemon fans recognize (seeing as 1st and 2nd gen were the height of the series' popularity). Same thing with the starters, people identify the 1st gen starters much more than any other set of starters, the 6th gen starters are no more popular than the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th gen starters, so I see no reason for them to get special treatment.

I've said nothing about being worried about just having a female trainer character. All I said was that I'd like to see one because it would be novel to introduce a character from the latest instalment of the series with those games' respective starters as an acknowledgement/advertisement, representation of some of that generation's characters as part of the playable roster, and, perhaps more implicitly, a simple counterpoint to Red in terms of old vs new/male vs female.

Either way, he's the most likely character to be included if they really feel they need another trainer character.

There is absolutely no concrete evidence of that nor anything to support it. It's total conjecture. By your logic, Giovanni should be in the next game.

I don't think Custom Robo has ever had the popularity those other franchises had, so I don't think they really care about it.

It has in Japan and has had several more games in its series than any of those franchises, excluding Fire Emblem.

I was kidding about not knowing Custom Robo, it was a joke about it being too unknown/unpopular.

You're funny. Haha.

The deal they made with SEGA is certainly enough for Sonic himself to stay for another game, and I don't think he'll be removed, but I fail to see how this deal entitles SEGA to include additional Sonic characters in the roster. Besides, since SEGA has been trying to change the roles that the characters play in the Sonic series, I don't think any of the extra characters have the relevance that they used to at this point in time. So we might see characters like Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy show up, but not as playables, probably as Assist Trophies at best.

The fact that Nintendo and Sega have been buddy-buddy doesn't entitle Sega to anything in terms of Smash, all I was saying was that Knuckles and Tails, the two most well-known protagonists in the series besides the titular character who have been around since the days of the Genesis, stand a better chance than anyone else in the series of being playable and that I'd like to see them should new characters from Sonic be included.

Finally, I'm not sure what makes you think you're the arbiter of who is and isn't likely to show up in the next game given your weak, opinion-based reasoning, lack of understanding of the franchises the series draws from and apparent lack of interest or willingness to explore in the series' history itself. I'd reassess that line of thinking though.

By the way, are we about done here? I can continue to justify the potential reasons why the characters that I said I would like to see in the next game could be in it, but, frankly, this is getting excessive. Please, someone save us with a post about how much they'd like to see Starfy as a character or something.

Last edited:
At least 1 person here has probably mentioned Reggie being on Smash Bros. There's a petition for it and everything.

By the way, are we about done here? I can continue to justify the potential reasons why the characters that I said I would like to see in the next game could be in it, but, frankly, this is getting excessive. Please, someone save us with a post about how much they'd like to see Starfy as a character or something.

Mod Note: Your right, this ends here. Any further critiques from anyone on what another would like to see will result in possible further action. General discussion as to why or why not characters could possibly appear in the next game is great! But going as far as to say why such and such won't show up is going a step to far, and isn't healthy or friendly discussion in anyway.

From here on out I would like to ask anyone who posts not to single out others for simply having an opinion they'd like to express.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom