• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who here misses the old Pokemon formula?

I've always wanted a main-series game where we can travel to multiple regions, so when this concept was presented to us for the anime, I was excited as well. It's been disappointing to say the least. I do like that Ash is able to capture Pokemon from previous generations. Other than that, I want things to go back to the way they were before Sun and Moon.

Occasionally I find myself feeling like that but honestly, a lot of it feels like it's just unconscious nostalgia rather than actually missing what the show used to be. The OG art style reminds me a lot of my childhood and as a result makes me attached - same reason why I'll always prefer the old dub voices over the current English ones, even if Sarah Natochenny does a better job at making Ash sounding closer to Satoshi.

I didn't watch most of XY despite it being closer to the traditional formula but loved Sun & Moon to the point where it's my #1 saga atm, so even though the OG missing hits from time to time, I realize it's just the childhood memories associated with it. A little mixed on Journeys' formula and whether I'd want to see more like it, but I'm still enjoying it so far and like the characters more than some others seem to. Maybe I'm easy to please lol, but despite any formula change, I love the Pokémon anime and am still having fun watching. So I don't think too much about how the series used to be.

I miss there being an actual tangible goal, reach this city for the gym or that town to meet someone. Without a solid game plan the pacing can be very hit or miss, largely miss, as the execution of the World Coronation Tournament has been noticeably lacking. Sometimes the battle itself is inconsequential to the events of the episode and takes up two minutes at the start, sometimes it’s the whole point of the episode and in the case of Bea and Riolu becomes an arc. Go’s own goal lacking a roadmap beyond catch anything that catches his eye doesn’t help. Mixing up the overarching story isn’t bad, but it needs something worth following to replace the traditional eight gyms and a league if mixing it up is done. Ash’s Alola classmates in one or two episodes of Sun and Moon show more personality than the people at Cerise Labs or the Cerise household who aren’t Ash or Go have shown in the whole of Journeys thus far. Make us keep watching because we’re invested in story and/or characters, not because it’s habit or out of loyalty to the franchise.

(Light laugh)
I'm still waiting for a song about that.
'Mezase Negi Master' will be the next opening.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom