• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who should get signature moves?

Which Pokémon should have signature moves?

• None of them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of them

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • [url=http://tinyurl.com/29x59ue]All evolution families[/url]

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Certain evolution families

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • Legendaries only

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Certain legendaries only

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Non-legendaries only

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Certain non-lengendaries only

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Only my favorite Pokémon or evolution line

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other (explain please)

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

TaoistNeji

Your jibs are now busted
Reaction score
Vote and explain, please.

I forgot an "Only one certain Pokémon" option, sorry.

IMO, it would be nice if each line got one, give each one something special. =\

Last edited:
Vote? Where? XP

That aside, I think at least every Uber Legendary should get a Signature Move, or Signature Something. That's why it's weird they gave Ninetales and Politoed Drought and Drizzle, which were once Signature Abilities of Kyogre and Groudon. At least they should've done what they did with Rayquaza, and make two new Abilities with the same effect but different name, like Air Lock/Cloud Nine. Redundant, yes, but such is Pokémon. Now we have normal Pokémon capable of calamitous rain and heat. They could've made them "Summon Clouds" and "Clear Skies" or some sort, and maybe tone them down (Say, 10 turns of Sun/Rain, not permanent).

But yeah, seeing how the Hoenn Legends don't have Signature Abilities anymore, they deserve Signature Moves now. What about a Move that gets a further boost during Rain/Sun? Making it 150% more powerful (STAB + Weather + Effect), like a super-powered Weather Ball (Base 100, like most Legendary Signature Moves). Rayquaza's could be a Flying or Dragon Move that gets more powerful with any weather in effect, meaning it's stronger if its Ability is being applied.

All other Uber Legendaries seem to be covered. Only the 3rd Gen ones lost anything that made them special as it is.

Likewise, all Trios should get a shared Signature Move (Like the Musketeers and Sacred Sword). It gets tricky with the Beasts and the Regis, though. They all can have a Move based on their Master, though (Fire or Flying for the Beasts, and Normal for the Regis). All Event Legendaries could use a Signature Move too. That leaves only Mew and Celebi as it is, though.

Yeah, I'd like to see every Legendary having Signature Moves. If Mewtwo finally got one this Generation, I can't see why the others shouldn't.

EDIT: Oh there's the poll. XD

Every starter should get one. The Gen III starters had them until Gen IV. But all of them should get one each suited to do what the user does best.

And the Gen III ones should recieve powerboosts to their former signature moves(Only they get the boost and not other Pokemon who gained said moves in Gen IV) so that they become pseud-exclusive to them.

Every family should get an exclusive move learned at a late level. As in, Lv 60 for the basic stage, Lv 70 for the second, and Lv 80 for the third, in a three stage family. Also, the moves should be very powerful.

Honestly, the Beldum evolution line needs a better signature move than "Meteor Mash".

Maybe a new ability is in order, possibly "Assimilate" which would invole a member of the Beldum evolution line, and another pokemon from the same line.
Beldum = 25% increase on all stats.
Metang = 50% increase on all stats.
Metagross = 100% increase on all stats.
(All excluding accuracy and evasion)

Or a signature move "Decimate(decimation)"
Type: Psychic
Damage: 140
Accuracy: 100
Description: User launches a beam of intense light in an attempt to destroy foe. Reduces User's Special Attack.

Last edited:
Honestly, the Beldum evolutiob line needs a better signature move than "Meteor Mash".

Meteor Mash =/= signature move. Clefairy could learn it in Gen III too.

But they should get one nevertheless. Same thing would be true for the Bagon line. Something along the lines of Headbutt, just stronger. Head Smash for one could've worked ...

Farfetch'd/Dunsparce/Qwilfish should get one too, just to give the player an incentive to actually use them.

For the rest, starters and legendaries who not yet have one.

Meteor Mash is a really good move.

If oly 2 or 3 pokemon can learn a move, I consider it a signature move of those families.

I say the starters. Especially the less-used ones like Meganium and Charizard

I think it's great as is, only certain families with obvious abilities getting one, as well as most legendaries. I think it would be nice for more legendaries to get them, though.

I'd like to see ditto get a signature move, maybe a status move or a healing one? It would really change ditto, but it would add a lot of usefulness (sorta).

I'd like to see ditto get a signature move, maybe a status move or a healing one? It would really change ditto, but it would add a lot of usefulness (sorta).

Transform.

This is what I believe shall happen. All non-Legendaries who gain a signature move will eventually lose it as its signature move when other unrelated Pokemon learn it. All Legendaries will retain their signature moves until GameFreak does something further with Legendaries (and Smeargle will always be able to copy moves but not actually learn them).

That being said, Game Freak will continue to implement Pokemon (nL) with signature family moves and implement others (L) with other signature moves. Eventually, all nL Pokemon will lose their signature moves while all L retain theirs.

Or maybe not a signature move, but a fairly exclusive move. Like Glare, Butterfly Dance, Eruption. Things that are uncommon, but very cool.

Crobat's line.

I love him enough, but giving him his own move would be badass.

Meteor Mash =/= signature move. Clefairy could learn it in Gen III too.

But they should get one nevertheless. Same thing would be true for the Bagon line. Something along the lines of Headbutt, just stronger. Head Smash for one could've worked ...

Farfetch'd/Dunsparce/Qwilfish should get one too, just to give the player an incentive to actually use them.

For the rest, starters and legendaries who not yet have one.

Way to completely diss my favorite...
But anyway, I say only certain evolution families. For example, Pokemon like Bidoof shouldn't get one.

MAGIKARP.

At a very late level, for example level 90. It'd be nice to see this lonesome fish have a signature movie, even if it doesn't do much. It used to have Splash, but now quite a few others can learn that.

The Eevee line should have a signature move whose type, classification (Physical/Special) and effect vary with the user. Their movesets are very shallow, and after all this time, Flareon in particular deserves to have a Physical Fire-type move that is even better than Flare Blitz.

I'd call it Genetic Power.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom