• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

Which 'return arc' did you like best?

• Misty in AG

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • May in DP

Votes: 46 73.0%
  • Dawn in DP

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters

Cilan

Reaction score
I liked May's return in DP the best because I feel like they did the most with her character while she was there. I liked Misty returning in AG, but those Togepi episodes really didn't interest me that much, and I feel like they really didn't do much with Dawn when she returned for BW.

Edit: I screwed up on the poll. I mean Dawn in BW, so sorry about that ^^'

Obviously may's since the wallace cup was a may glorification fest. She was never made out to look weak or incompetent even at the very end. What happened with mamoswine would be the equivalent of Piplup beating Venusaur after taking a frenzy plant to the face. Misty might have come close but she got too little of a cameo. I stand still in my belief that the writers had no intention of bringing dawn back for BW and just shoehorned her into a few episodes to show off piplup so they can say well here's your cameo.

They were all fine for what they were.

I think its odd that Misty is the only one who didn't come back for a tournament though. The other two got to come back to compete in something, Misty didn't. I guess its true that the writers didn't want to showcase Misty in battles much?

They probably just wanted to focus more of Togepi during Misty's return, and for the other episodes she came back they focused on her new Azurill and her bonding with Max.
I'm not sure what kind of tournament they could have had Misty compete in for Hoenn. It was easy for them to have May compete in some type of contest tournament in DP since May and Dawn are both coordinators, and in BW you got those Don George tournaments. Besides the Togepi thing, I don't see what Hoenn could have had for Misty. I can't really see her competing in a contest.

isn't it obvious i like may ketchum the best, wait did i just say may ketchum??? damn you advanceshipping:saiyan:

Haruka's since it helped advance Hikari's character arc.

Misty since I liked the Misty/Max interaction a lot in that episode. :) And plus I liked those 4 episodes she was in.

Obviously may's since the wallace cup was a may glorification fest. She was never made out to look weak or incompetent even at the very end. What happened with mamoswine would be the equivalent of Piplup beating Venusaur after taking a frenzy plant to the face. Misty might have come close but she got too little of a cameo. I stand still in my belief that the writers had no intention of bringing dawn back for BW and just shoehorned her into a few episodes to show off piplup so they can say well here's your cameo.

I don't see how the Wallace Cup was a May glorification fest. She wasn't made to look or incompetent, but the whole tournament wasn't about her and she worked for the victories she got during the tournament. Her Glaceon, her Pokemon with the least amount of experience, having a close match with Dawn's Piplup was believable.

The Fighting Misty said:
They were all fine for what they were.

I think its odd that Misty is the only one who didn't come back for a tournament though. The other two got to come back to compete in something, Misty didn't. I guess its true that the writers didn't want to showcase Misty in battles much?

I think it had more to do with being unable to put in a way for Misty to be more battle active than the writers just not wanting to show her in battles. If they wanted her episodes to be focused on Togepi and then later bonding with Max, that doesn't really leave much room for throwing in a tournament, especially when I think she would be more interested in participating in a Water tournament rather than a general tournament.

Anyway, while I haven't seen Dawn's cameo arc yet, I prefer May's return the most right now. It showed how she had been improving on her own in Johto, both her victories and defeat were believable and her return actually advanced Dawn's storyline quite nicely. I'm not sure how I feel about Misty's return. The Togepi episodes were interesting, but I think I liked the episode where she bonded with Max through as younger siblings more. That just seemed a bit nicer and she actually interacted with the characters there more than I remember in the Togepi episodes.

So far i enjoyed most in Misty return in Hoenn when releasing Togetic. Episodes felt like they were part of story taken from pokemon movie with animation looking beautiful. Interactions between Misty and main characters as well villains were enjoyable to watch, i liked mix of mature and playful,spunk attitude she portrayed there clearly improving in meantime with Gyarados new move set adding to that and it had great villains like colonel Hanson. Also evolution of Togepi and its releasing really depicted strong bond Misty and pokemon established in believable manner, being one of most emotional and memorable moments in this show for me.
Too bad everything was crammed in 2 episodes, because such plot i feel would work better if it lasted for 3 to 4 episodes.
Reunion at Pallet and bonding with Max was great as well containing unforced and interesting dynamic between characters, with Misty helping him to better understand his older sister talking from her own experience .

Next on the list is May return for Wallace Cup. I really liked her interactions with Dawn helping her about confidence issues and how to deal with up and downs every young coordinator experience in his life. She showed huge improvement since last time we saw her coming of as mature and more experienced coordinator with several evolutions(like Venusaur, Glaceon, Wartortle)serving as confirmation to that and battles she entered were enjoyable too. And even though in finals at first i wasn't too happy when Dawn defeated her, i still thought confrontation was easily highlight of whole Wallace Cup.

On last place i have to put Dawn. There were no updates on her contest journey through Hoenn, she didn't had any new pokemon and evolutions since last time we saw her and lack of new outfit wasn't exactly positive point either.

But given circumstances she was put in appearing in region which had no contests, i was personally content with Dawn appearance. She was full of character having great interactions with Iris, Cilan and Ash. She battled all three of them with Mamoswine and Quilava showing visible signs of improvement, we had nice side rivalry between Piplup and Oshawott and her participation in Junior Cup served as prelude to revelation of real core of problem behind Dragonite disobedience.

Not to mention she appeared for more than 8 episodes, something other character fans could only dream about.
Granted it could have been handled better and if there was contests it probably would, but all in all it was decent for me.

Looking back so far number of new girls still isn't so big. But look once pokemon enters 15th generation, and we start talking about some random girls number 13 and 14 making their cameos. By than Misty, May or Dawn will be long forgotten history, their stories and potential for further growth will be swept away unfinished and with so many new characters joining main cast its unlikely if we will even see them ever again.

Sad, but not much you can expect in show which constantly change main cast having very sparse continuity.

I'm not sure what kind of tournament they could have had Misty compete in for Hoenn. It was easy for them to have May compete in some type of contest tournament in DP since May and Dawn are both coordinators, and in BW you got those Don George tournaments. Besides the Togepi thing, I don't see what Hoenn could have had for Misty. I can't really see her competing in a contest.

They could create water tournament like they did with Whirl Cup having Misty and others enter it, progressing goal of becoming water master. They could have her meet Juan seeming like fitting place to bring her back and learn new things from experienced and accomplished water trainers, while catching some new water types to enrich her team. Same applies to Wallace if he appeared in Hoenn.
I guess they could also have Misty play some role in finale of whole Team Magma storyline, since they wanted to eradicate all water types from face of earth which would easily rile her up.

There were other ideas to bring Misty for in Hoenn, but i suppose writers rather wanted to focus on wrapping up Togepi because it played important subplot in Misty story not doing much with it in OS. Something which was taken care of through cameos.

Speaking of contests admittedly i think it would have been interesting if she entered one of them. Even though contests aren't her thing, i could see Misty trying it out to see how well she would do at it out of curiosity or to prove something else being dragged into it by May. Similar how Ash and Brock did.

Last edited:
But look once pokemon enters 15th generation, and we start talking about some random girls number 13 and 14 making their cameos. By than Misty, May or Dawn will be long forgotten history, their stories and potential for further growth will be swept away unfinished and with so many new characters joining main cast its unlikely if we will even see them ever again.

first, i don't think gamefreak has THAT much imagination to actually have that number of gens and second, how can you forget the former cast i mean at least in the girls part they are all memorable, maybe the newer fans will not know about them at the time but the older fandom, the ones that follow the saga a long time ago will never forget about them(i'm saying that and im 15)

But look once pokemon enters 15th generation, and we start talking about some random girls number 13 and 14 making their cameos. By than Misty, May or Dawn will be long forgotten history, their stories and potential for further growth will be swept away unfinished and with so many new characters joining main cast its unlikely if we will even see them ever again.

first, i don't think gamefreak has THAT much imagination to actually have that number of gens and second, how can you forget the former cast i mean at least in the girls part they are all memorable, maybe the newer fans will not know about them at the time but the older fandom, the ones that follow the saga a long time ago will never forget about them(i'm saying that and im 15)

As long as people keep buying games gamefreak will keep making them.

Okay, here goes...

By far, May's appearance was my favorite. I loved everything about the Wallace Cup, and was glad she made a return to show off her new pokemon and appeals. I was glad to see that some of them evolved, including Wartortle and Venasaur! And it was nice to see how she adapted to competing in a super contest, something she'd never encountered in Hoenn and Kanto (in terms of dressing up, using ball capsules, etc.).

I liked how Misty's cameos were a bit scattered (and am sad how they haven't continued in a long time), but to be honest, I found the episodes she appeared in to be a bit bland for my taste. I found myself skimming through the Togepi episodes and "A Real Cleffa Hanger!" (with the exception of Togetic's bittersweet release and the cute bonding-with-Max parts), and I would've had a lot more interest in the "Mastermind" special if it weren't for the abrupt and extremely distracting change in voices (especially now that some of them, like Ash's and Max's, and May's and Misty's, were switched around in the following season). I only found the "Chronicles" episodes she starred in to be somewhat entertaining. I did like her little surprise visit to Pallet in "The Scheme Team", though...

Dawn...I'm not sure if my opinion might change after watching the dub, but again, while I actually enjoyed her eight-episode arc, it didn't really do much for me. She was mostly in the background the whole time, and her battles constantly got interrupted by some ridiculous event. While I liked her dynamics with Iris and Cilan, I felt that Piplup was actually getting more out of its screen-time by its lovestruck-for-Meloetta rivalry- and eventual friendship with- Oshawott than Dawn was. And I'm not sure if I liked Iris beating her, but I guess it's just a growing trend, as we've obviously seen from May's defeat in the Wallace Cup. Oh, and Dawn didn't have a new outfit like the other two did! Call me a bit nit-picky, but I always look forward to that part. -_-

I go back from time-to-time to watch the Wallace Cup. Even though I've seen it about a million times and know by heart who the victor was, it just never fails to entertain me. I really liked watching May forge a strong friendship with Dawn and Zoey after just a few days, and the Hoenn cast flashbacks were a nice touch- something we never really got to see with Dawn or Misty's appearances. I also liked that May never really changed, besides her Emerald outfit and evolved pokemon. She looked a little more mature, but her love of food and desire to win gave me the same impression of May that we saw at the end of BF. Misty seemed a little TOO mature for my taste, a little too sensitive and nice. And Dawn didn't seem as bubbly and pumped up as she was in D/P...but May definitely kept her cool. I hope they'll all get another appearance, or hopefully meet up again, at some point. ^_^

May in DP, definitely.

Dawn didn't really do much in BW, and I never cared about Misty.

My guess is the writers went like this.

Since BW2 is coming out our original plan for having ash fight drayden is shot so we need to replace him with one of the new ones. Virbank city is probably the easiest. Then afterwards to promote new(old) pokemon we'll make a don George battle tourney in undella town with Cynthia being there since shes also in the games to show off the therian formes and to send off team rocket! Cool and we can tie some development in with trip to make him fight alder as well as give iris drayden so we can show off her goal of being a dragon*record scratches* she only has one dragon. We need to give her something strong ASAP that isn't axew evolving! We also cant pick a dragon that looks evil so kairyu it is! It can disobey her at first and then when she struggles vs gerogia and loses vs ash can slowly listen! Then we can use marlin to debut a new rival with samurott since we obviously cant give one to ash. Alright this is gonna be the best season ever.

Some time later.

Hey guys marketing called and they said Cynthia isn't enough to bring back that blast from the past feeling we want. We need someone else. To be precise a certain money printing piplup and his trainer! The two of them will bring in ratings and money! And we can have a clash of the annoying starters thing goings on! Just stick them in and work the magic! But what will we do about the episodes? Well I guess we could take a couple of episodes from the club battle and give it to her. Then renamed it to world cup since we got someone from sinnoh in it. And I guess we could give her the role Georgia had. I'm not feeling good about this lets just keep it low key.

At marketing.

Alright! Our plan to get dawn and piplup back for a cameo to lush more toys worked! Now lets publicize this allow over the place! !!!

And we have our butchered cameo.

maybe BUT they will end up without imagination eventually and I don't think they will be like conker bad fur day and put eyes on something and call it a pokemon

maybe BUT they will end up without imagination eventually and I don't think they will be like conker bad fur day and put eyes on something and call it a pokemon

Heyhey, I found the great mighty poo to be funny. Innappropriate, but still hilarious.And they already made stuff like grimer and voltorb, hard to go lower than that.

Heyhey, I found the great mighty poo to be funny. Innappropriate, but still hilarious.And they already made stuff like grimer and voltorb, hard to go lower than that.

hey when did i say i hated the great mighty poo, i just said that eventually there imagination is gonna be over

Just like a majority of the people here, I liked May's episodes the best. In fact,t he Wallace Cup arc was one of my favorite arcs in DP. I loved how May actually helped Dawn out and left an impact. Plus we actually got an update on her Johto contests, along with mentions of her family and her rivals. With Dawn's return in BW, we didn't learn anything about how she was doing with her Hoenn contests or how things were going with her rivals or her mom. To me it just seemed like Dawn was there to make Iris shine more, and it didn't help that most of the focus in the tournament was her and Dragonite and the stuff with Trip. Plus I was kind of hoping that we'd see Dawn with some new Hoenn pokemon on her team, or at least a new evolution. (*cough*Buneary*cough*)

Now with Misty's return, I liked the episode where she bonded with Max more than the Togepi episodes. Those episodes weren't bad but I do get tired of seeing them sometimes. I'll probably never get tired of watching the Wallace Cup episodes. Those were my favorite contest episodes in DP.

and I would've had a lot more interest in the "Mastermind" special if it weren't for the abrupt and extremely distracting change in voices (especially now that some of them, like Ash's and Max's, and May's and Misty's, were switched around in the following season).

Im probably in minority, but i didn't thought Mastermind special was bad at all. I enjoyed in plot revolving on mirage pokemon, dr. Yung turning to be villain was nice twist and interactions among main characters were enjoyable.

Granted voices were probably biggest minus having hard time personally in adjusting to them not portraying Ash and other characters in natural way lacking emotion and effort invested into character roles. Although out of them i think Misty and Jessie for first try were decent.

Misty seemed a little TOO mature for my taste, a little too sensitive and nice. And Dawn didn't seem as bubbly and pumped up as she was in D/P...but May definitely kept her cool. I hope they'll all get another appearance, or hopefully meet up again, at some point. ^_^

Personally i think Misty kept enjoyable aspects of character after maturity too.
I enjoyed in her comeback in Hoenn, showing up in light of more competent and mature trainer who had Gyarados under her wing, while keeping that feisty charm and snarky side of hers.
She was still quirky and tomboyish, playfully teased Ash and Brock, interaction with Daisy and Tracey were dynamic with sisters leaving some influence on her becoming little bit more outgoing. While remaining strong willed having attitude when arguing with others.

Reason why she didn't shouted at anyone in some episodes was because she became more grown up and responsible at that point, not exploding unless she has reason to do so. And in episodes like Pallet reunion which were focused on reunion of friends and helping Max to get better along with his sister May, random outbursts would only seem out of place. In Togepi episodes on other hand she showed lot of spunk.

Personally i enjoyed in her characterization just as much as i did in Mays and her interactions with Ash and Dawn. I only wished we got to see more of May Venusaur and Wartortle aside from their brief showing in one of earlier rounds in Wallace Cup.

@Aloasa: I don't know how familiar today generations are with previous girls, but what i do know is that older female companions are slowly but surely being abandoned and forgotten from writer side. Usual formula consists of first ditching character from cast, being followed with rare and sparse once in blue moon appearances, later on being limited to non speaking roles through minor references just to eventually completely disappear from face of earth. Something which is happening with Misty, and May isn't falling much behind either.

As this cycling continues, previous girls will be pushed to side even more to make room for new ones with image, impact and relevance they had/has slowly, but surely starting to fade away.
Shame, because we already have so many interesting characters but instead of writers capitalizing on someone popularity taking him forward in fresh directions, this show rather promotes idea of endless cycling through characters leaving stories unfinished, and all potential to expand upon abandoned. To do same thing with new ones anyway, becoming pointless and destroying that little of continuity show still has.

Last edited:
@Aloasa: I don't know how familiar today generations are with previous girls, but what i do know is that older female companions are slowly but surely being abandoned and forgotten from writer side. Usual formula consists of first ditching character from cast, being followed with rare and sparse once in blue moon appearances, later on being limited to non speaking roles through minor references just to eventually completely disappear from face of earth. Something which is happening with Misty, and May isn't falling much behind either.

As this cycling continues, previous girls will be pushed to side even more to make room for new ones with image, impact and relevance they had/has slowly, but surely starting to fade away.
Shame, because we already have so many interesting characters but instead of writers capitalizing on someone popularity taking him forward in fresh directions, this show rather promotes idea of endless cycling through characters leaving stories unfinished, and all potential to expand upon abandoned. To do same thing with new ones anyway, becoming pointless and destroying that little of continuity show still has.

well i guess with that reasoning that pokemon will only be forgeting all the older fandom to make way for new, well at least we can enjoy the memories that we have as long as we have them *sigh* well i may be dreaming but i do hope that they would return to the old days, but until that happens only the older fandom will be able to remember the nostalgic memories of misty, brock and soon to be may *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom