• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Who's your favorite Rival?

Blue for me. I like how he had a part in the story. He was more involoved than alot of the other rivals.

Blue. He was always a step ahead of you and was the only rival to become Champion. He had a variety of pokemon and to me that always seemed the type of lineup a real champion would have. If a champion had one type of pokemon then it would be easy to train a team of pokemon that were strong against the champions. In Gen. 2/4 Blue was the only Gym Leader that I found challenging and even though he wasn't Champion anymore his pokemon were still just as strong as a Champions.

Ranking:

1 - Bel/Bianca.
Why? Because she had trouble deciding what she wanted to do with her life, she had trouble with her dad and she has some nice pokémon, a cool design and her anime counterpart is awesome.

2 - Jun/Barry.
Why? Because he is funny, hyperactive and has an Empoleon also.

3 - Silver.
Why? Because he is a son of a bitch that steal starter pokémon in the start of the game and goes changing until you reach the end. Very nice.

4 - May. She had no personality at all, but at least I like her design.

5 - Wally. Because he captured a Ralts as first pokémon.

6 - Cheren.
Because? I can't explain, I just don't like him.

7 - Blue.
I don't like, but don't dislike also. In the anime, with the codinome "Gary" he was a fucking dumb and in the games he didn't nothing.

Barry.

"Let's go catch a red Gyarados! I'll meet you on route 201, and if you're late, I'm fining you $10 million!"

Last edited:
I'm somewhat surprised Silver is leading the poll.

Blue's my favorite, personally. I think he best fits the description of a rival.

Not that I dislike Silver, I just prefer Blue.

I picked Blue and Silver, because they were the most interesting as far as Rival's go, while still being threats. Not to mention all the memories I have of them as the first rivals.

Silver mostly, because of his twisted determination earlier in the games, and a more heart-pounding battle music than the others.
Gary/Blue comes next of course. He's still antagonistic though, but not to the point where he'll push you away, and always has a touch of deadpan humor mixed to it.
Cheren comes next in 3rd, dunno... maybe he looks good in glasses, and being analytical and etc...

I dunno which comes next, but honestly May/Brendan are pretty weak for being rivals, since during the final round against them, their starter isn't fully evolved, and most of their teams are also not much evolved. Though I also like their battle music :p

It was a tough decision between Silver and Blue, but I decided on Blue. I like both of their styles, but I prefer Blue's more strategic and tactical qualities in battle, when comparing the two.

Barry. He had, in my opinion, the most personality of all the rivals. He was fiery, impatient, determined to win, and yet he was also still a nice friend to the player and a good guy despite his quirky behavior. Much better than Silver's cliche character in my opinion at least.

I also like Bianca. She's a nice and sweet girl, unlike Cheren. I really do not like Cheren.

Definitely Barry. ^_^ Him fining everyone was funny in my opinion. =P Besides Bianca and Cheren I never really liked the other rivals. *nods*

You'll never be able to beat Blue in my book. He's the first and best imo.

Blue and Silver are my favorite rivals. They're the most memorable to me and are the most rival - esque in my opinion. These two rivals were pretty ruthless in their games - they weren't like the other rivals who at least offered some assistance to you.

Blue is a total jerk who is always one step ahead of you. I remember checking the gym statues inside before I battled the gym leader and it would always say: Winners: Blue - that's just lame. And when you finally defeat the last of the elite four...who's waiting for you at the champion arena? Blue. He's always one step ahead of you, but that's alright because you finally defeat him right after he just gained the title of champion. Also, Blue's theme song is so ridiculously obnoxious you just know he's going to be a total jerk. He's a good rival because he's a total jerk who's always ahead of you in the game until...you defeat him in the end.

Silver is one of my favorite rivals because of his willpower(albeit a little messed up) and his character development. As opposed to Blue, Silver is a pretty dynamic character, as he does change into a virtually good person in the end.

I can stand all the other rivals except Cheren. He was just lame in B/W.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom