• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who's Your Favorite Videogame Character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is a thread to talk about your favorite videogame characters and why you like them. Yeah, we have claiming threads, but you don't really explain why you like the character/item/whatever in them.

My personal favorite character is Celes Chere from Final Fantasy VI. Here's a part of her story, from the Final Fantasy Wiki:

Cid has known Celes since she was a child and doted on her like a daughter, but she was forced to become a Magitek Knight. Celes became one of the Empire's top generals, but retained a good and honorable spirit. As a general Celes led an Imperial attack on Maranda, subjugating the town to Imperial rule, and met Terra but their first meeting is not elaborated on.

Two years into the Third Gestahlian Campaign Celes became disillusioned with the Empire's conquest and was imprisoned in South Figaro to be executed while the Empire occupied the town to push north into Narshe. The specific reason for her arrest is never mentioned, although it is implied she spoke out against Kefka's plan of poisoning Doma. During Locke's campaign to stall the Empire's advance he finds Celes in chains and releases her, helping her to safety. Celes accompanies Locke to Narshe and joins the Returners to defend the town from Kefka and his troops. Celes meets Terra, and recognizes her as a former imperial.

Lots of characters in the game have sad stories, so Celes may seem like nothing special, however, this part of the game is what solidifies her as my favorite character in the game:

Gestahl and Kefka enter the Esper World and raise the Floating Continent, the Warring Triad at its summit. The Returners storm the continent to confront the pair and Celes attempts to reason with the emperor. Gestahl paralyzes Celes's allies and offers her the chance to rule the world with him and Kefka. Kefka hands Celes a sword and tells her to kill them, but Celes stabs Kefka instead. He flies into a rage, and demands the Triad give him their power.

Kefka kills Gestahl when he intervenes and knocks Celes aside, moving the Warring Triad out of alignment. Shadow buys time for Celes and the others to escape, but the damage is done: Kefka has disrupted the balance of power between the gods and drastically shifted the face of the planet.

A year later Celes awakes from a coma on a Solitary Island in Cid's care who tells her the world has been sliding further into ruin and whatever survivors remained on the island with them have perished or killed themselves. Celes repays his kindness by caring for him while he is ill and depending on the quality of food she feeds him Cid will either live or die.

If he dies, Celes travels to the northern part of the island and leaps into the sea to kill herself. She survives and washes ashore where she finds a wounded bird, its wound wrapped in a bandana. Celes takes this as a sign Locke is alive and finds a letter from Cid, directing her to a raft hidden in the basement of their home. If Cid is saved he shows Celes the raft himself. Celes leaves the island to return to the mainland and find her friends.

[video=youtube;Ok6qjPj7O3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6qjPj7O3g[/video]

Now it's your turn to tell everyone: who is your favorite videogame character and why?

I would have to say a tie between Kanji Tatsumi and Naoto Shirogane from Persona 4.

Hmmmm thats a hard one.

I think Ill have to narrow my favorites down to a tie between these three. Fenris (Dragon Age 2) - Tidus (Final Fantasy X) - Asbel Lhant (Tales of Graces F)

A tie between Mario's bro Luigi and Ike from the Fire Emblem series. :3

I grew up with Luigi, he was the first video game character I grew fond of and played as constantly. I played as him in everything I could while growing up and I found him so entertaining and fun to play! I still love him a lot too. <3 I also read somewhere that he doesn't like being in Mario's shadow and that he feels neglected because of all the attention Mario gets. I feel bad for him. :( It inspired some parts of my Luigi fanfic though.

Ike is just badass, awesome, and hot. <3 His personality/character is so cool (and sorta amusing too, that love for food lol), he has such an awesome design (particularly in his second game, Radiant Dawn), and I feel bad for the guy too after all the BS that happened to him. He watched his parents die right before his eyes. His mom first, then later his father. And he finds out some secrets that he once knew, but had his memory erased of because of how awful they were. :( His sword skills are awesome too, and he gets to wield a really cool sword called Ragnell. You may recognize it as the blade he uses in Smash Bros. :3 Oh, and did I mention he's hot? I love those muscles! I still love everything else about him equally though (except his half-assed ending in RD...ugh. And his awful Awakening DLC art).

A tie between Mario's bro Luigi and Ike from the Fire Emblem series. :3

I grew up with Luigi, he was the first video game character I grew fond of and played as constantly. I played as him in everything I could while growing up and I found him so entertaining and fun to play! I still love him a lot too. <3 I also read somewhere that he doesn't like being in Mario's shadow and that he feels neglected because of all the attention Mario gets. I feel bad for him. :( It inspired some parts of my Luigi fanfic though.

Ike is just badass, awesome, and hot. <3 His personality/character is so cool (and sorta amusing too, that love for food lol), he has such an awesome design (particularly in his second game, Radiant Dawn), and I feel bad for the guy too after all the BS that happened to him. He watched his parents die right before his eyes. His mom first, then later his father. And he finds out some secrets that he once knew, but had his memory erased of because of how awful they were. :( His sword skills are awesome too, and he gets to wield a really cool sword called Ragnell. You may recognize it as the blade he uses in Smash Bros. :3 Oh, and did I mention he's hot? I love those muscles! I still love everything else about him equally though (except his half-assed ending in RD...ugh. And his awful Awakening DLC art).

Luigi was always my favorite Mario character too, mainly because green is my favorite color and he as an actual personality unlike his brother. Rosalina has now surpassed him though. But he'll aways remain the second best to me (which I guess is kinda fitting lol).

Levin from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. In Awakening his name was localized to Lewyn, for reference, but screw it, I prefer Levin because honestly, it sounds cooler. Since most of you will never play Genealogy, I won't mark spoilers. Also, this is going to be REALLY long. Sorry.

Levin is first met in Chapter 2, Disturbance of Agustria. He is separated from the rest of your army at a small village in a group of them on the map being assaulted by bandits. He is carrying along a dancer named Sylvia, who is a fairly interesting character herself. He is shown to try to get her to stay put, both because she annoys him and to protect her. She vehemently disagrees and accompanies him. At the time, you know two things about him; one, he's a womanizer of the dick variety, and two, he's REALLY freaking powerful. Taking a look at his stats proves it; he has speed that is off the charts, a very powerful weapon in the form of Elwind (13 Might at the time), and a suitable magic score. He also has Adept and Critical. One allows him to attack like he has a Brave weapon on occasion, and the other allows him to get critical hits (Critical hits could only be activated if one had this skill or a weapon with the Critical skill). Unfortunately, he lacks Pursuit, which would allow him to consistently attack twice.

Anyway, he is automatically recruited (thank the heavens), and your main army can continue to kill things. Levin, of course, curb stomps the bandits like it ain't nobody's business (if you weren't stupid and moved Levin right, anyway,) and gets some sweet rewards as thanks from the villagers. He eventually meets up with our lovely protagonist, Sigurd. In this conversation, he joins up with him, but not before making him question his campaign in Agustria due to the citizen disturbance. This shows Levin fights for the people. Sigurd seems to see something more in him, but Levin just laughs and says he is just another man flowing with the wind. Despite some of his earlier behavior, I was instantly charmed by him.

As soon as you seize Macbeth (yes, that is actually what a fort is called in this game,) you see a green-haired Pegasus Knight named Fury searching for her liege. In case it wasn't obvious, her liege is... Levin. Plot-twist. She asks the Agustrian king, Chagall, of where Prince Levin's whereabouts are. Chagall, being the bastard he is, says that Sigurd's army captured him and is holding him hostage in your home base. Might I mention that A. Pegasus Knights have a ton of movement, and B. , you instantly lose if an enemy captures your castle? It can be literally impossible to win if you weren't aware of this before and didn't leave a guard behind. Anyway, when Levin talks to Fury, they have a short revelation that reveals a bit more about his prince hood; he is the heir to the kingdom of Silessia, founded by the Wind God Holsety. The king has recently died, and ruling in his place is the wise Queen Rahna. Apparently, he has been gone for the past two years. Fury is moved to tears, saying that she missed him as well, leaving even Levin to offer compassion and persuade her to join Sigurd's forces for the moment being. The rest of the chapter goes without any further development, apart from Sigurd saying it was pretty obvious.

Anyway, I'm pretty certain some people who have played Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones are detecting similarities to another character; Joshua. Yes, Joshua, despite being totally unlike Levin gameplay wise, is almost the exact same character in terms of where his development and plot goes, only Levin is actually incredibly important. They are also both flirts, and associated with wind (Levin with magic and Holsety blood and Joshua with his affinity). I love Joshua, but he is lesser in my eyes due to how similar he is. Anyway, on with Levin.

The chapter next, Lion Heart Eldigan, goes without a single shred of conversation on his part (if only supports existed at this point in time!) However, the next Chapter makes up for it entirely. Chapter 4, Dance of the Wind (if I'm not mistaken,) is Levin's chapter in all but name. You start out in the opening narration, detailing the current status of Silessia. Levin has 3 uncles; their names I can't remember for the life of me. They are very violent, and Levin left believing the uncles would get along without his presence and not attack the citizens. Anyway, they want the throne badly, so they are waging war with Silessia castle. Queen Rahna has asked Sigurd for help, which Sigurd, being the good guy he is, agrees.

This is where Levin gets the bulk of his development. Not much happens in the first half, but in the second, Silessia is assaulted by Throve, the castle to the right of it. Mahnya, Fury's elder sister and one of Levin's best friends, leads a huge squad of Falcon Knights to squish the tiny Pegasus Knight squad headed by Throve. Then Throve sends out mounted archer reinforcements from Jugdral. All this is uncontrollable; you just watch the two forces collide, and anyone who has used a bow on a flier knows how this goes. Levin has something of a small breakdown, as does Fury, when Silessia is taken and learns of Mahnya's death. When Levin eventually retakes Silessia, he decides its time to stop screwing around and get serious. He knows the death of Mahnya was his fault, and realizes he has been an immature little prick the whole time. He ended up making the civilians suffer when he abdicated versus what he intended to do. He decides he needs to rule Silessia, and the queen agrees, bestowing him with the holy tome Forseti, used by the wind god himself.

Levin also has an optional conversation with Fury if he is not married yet. In it, Levin apologizes for the death of Mahnya, but Fury says it wasn't his fault. Even though its probably not the best place, Levin finally proposes to Fury, and she accepts. Happy ending for Levin, especially if he kills the leader of Thove.

Also, Forseti single handedly turns him into the best unit in the first generation of the game. It gives you +20 Speed, meaning most enemies can't even hit you, and +10 Magic just to make him hit harder. Even Fire tomes, the weapon beating it on the anima triangle, will not hit you with that much speed on your side. So the next chapter goes by, which honestly is just soloed by Sigurd and Levin. However, after the chapter ends, when it is all over. You have stopped the corruption within Grandbell, and you are in a celebration hosted by the heir to the throne, Alvis. Then, (spoilers impending) the jerk then says "No visits to the king today, Sigurd! I'm going to execute you here and now!" and Sigurd says "You dastard!" and then Alvis blows Sigurd up with Valflame and a bunch of mages out of nowhere cast a meteor shower to exterminate them. The fate of everyone except for Sigurd is left ambitious as it transitions to generation 2, led by Sigurd's son Seliph. You hold on to a tiny shred of hope that at least one man survived, especially your favorite. When you conquer the first freaking castle in the game, you see a green-haired man, definitely older, but he looks familiar. You cheer as Seliph says "Oh, its you, King Levin!"

King Levin has matured, but decided not to take the throne, which feels like a punch in the jaw to his development. Honestly, the whole continent is conquered anyway by Alvis, so it doesn't matter, but Levin doesn't express desire to rule.

He doesn't express anything, really. He becomes Seliph's tactician and advisor (basically meaning you're playing as Levin, which is cool), but that's... about it. Unless Levin married Fury (like you SHOULD have), he doesn't get any dialogue apart from telling Seliph that this a good/bad idea or just advice in general. He is bland as a rock, which is a sharp contrast from what he was. But if Levin did marry Fury, he'll get a conversation with his son, Ced. It goes something like "Why did you abandon mother?", to which Levin responds that he doesn't give a damn about her and that his kids shouldn't care. All of a sudden I want to give him a Tyrfing to to the gut. How could Levin say something like this? PTSD from Belhalla, maybe?

It is revealed his other kid, Fee, hasn't talked to him at all due to her despising of him. All is made clear, however, in the epilogue sequence.

Seliph says at the very end before Levin decides to leave, "Thank you, Wind God Holsety," to which he says nothing before simply disappearing from the face of the earth, his fate left unknown... AGAIN!

However, if you beat the game 20 freaking times (which I don't exactly want to do; I found out about this watching a Let's Play,) the opening sequence, instead of showing the normal fights and such, shows Levin facing off against the true mastermind of the game, Manfroy, head of the Loptyr Sect, who manipulated everything. Although it is currently untranslated, I'm guessing Levin said that he was onto Manfroy and was going to give him Holsety to the face. Manfroy somehow DODGES, which two enemies max can do in-game, and responds by getting a one-hit KO with dark magic. It took the main villain to kill him with a lucky crit to stop Levin, and he went out a hero. He was partially possessed by Holsety, which is kind of creepy if you think about it too much.

Although I wish supports existed so he could be more interesting, what we have of him now makes my favorite Fire Emblem character, and probably my favorite video game character in general.

I'll admit Miles Edgeworth gives him some serious competition, though, along with Maya Fey.

I don't know if I have favourites, but I have candidates for that criteria. A lot of characters were my favourites at one point of another. Some I recently discovered and liked, with others I used to like but stopped liking.

A non-Pokémon character that I always liked and still do is Yoshi. It was fun playing as Yoshi in the various Mario games back in the SNES days. S/he was adorable in Yoshi Island and Yoshi Story, and was useful in the old Mario platformer games. While a lot of Mario characters ended up being either monotonous/bland, or outright ridiculous, (not helped by Mr Miyamoto undoing all that great development done in Galaxy) Yoshi still seem to be a decent character that is interesting and surprisingly deep, like the concept of Pokémon.

Zelda was a character that I briefly disliked during the GC era (due to her being in Smash despite being a distressed damsel), but I grew to love after Twilight Princess. The treatment of her in TP was really deep: she was a damsel in distress, but one that reluctantly played that role for a good purpose. Even better, she took the fight alongside Like when she had the chance - she was on Epona with flaming light arrows! against the final fight with Ganon.

The four protagonists from EB (Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo) are also another contender in recent years. Seemingly adorable characters that grow up through their voyage and save the world? Awesome.

For Fire Emblem, Roy and Lilina are my favourites, as they make a cute couple, and they were also badass in the two/three times I've played. Particularly Lilina, who destroyed lots of Manaketes in the final two chapters of Elibe. And while I haven't played the Akaneia games at all, I really appreciate having Caeda as another Nintendo heroine who is not (at least solely) a damsel in distress (I'm not as interested in the Metroid games, so sorry Samus.), which I later found out was earlier than Paula (EB), or Misty/Kris (Pkmn).

For Pokémon, it is really hard, because most of the characters (at least in the games) are generally good, and unlike the Pokémon themselves, I don't have much preferences or aversions. Having said that, suitable candidates would be: Lt Surge, Kris, Eusine, Lance, Nate, Rosa, Serena. If the anime is included, then: Misty, Molly, Clemont, and Diantha

I do have my unfavourites, though. I guess that will have to be for another day.

Last edited:
A tie between Lysandre (Pokemon) and Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)!

I like Lysandre because he's complex and a very misguided person that I can't help but feel sorry for him but admire how he's helped his grunts in his team.

Shulk is just in general an amazing person and I can't fault him at all. He's strong and cares for his friends and has strong moral grounds.

The four protagonists from EB (Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo) are also another contender in recent years. Seemingly adorable characters that grow up through their voyage and save the world? Awesome.

I definitely agree. In fact, all characters in the game, playabe or not, are really cool. Even if they appear just for one part of the game and never again, they all do something important, like giving you useful information or items (Orange Kid notwithstanding :p).

I think I would pick Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed series)

Ezio is what many people strive to be. He is brave, charming, witty, tough, powerful, incredibly skilled in battle, a good leader, and insanely clever.

But what sets him apart from so many other characters is that you have control of Ezio for nearly 40 years of his life throught the three games he stars in. He starts off as a young noble who's a bit of a ladies man but careless and rather spoiled. After he loses everything, he goes on a quest for revenge but learns much about himself along the way. By the end of his travels he is a leader, a mentor and a man who has touched the lives of so many people in a positive way. And in this case, you're with him every step of the way. You play through his triumphs, his defeats. You see him live, learn and grow over time.

And even after so many battles, he never loses his wit or his charming smile.

Well I'm going to have to add Saint-Germain from Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth to my list of favorites.

HvLlzlj.gif

literally the most obvious question I could have been asked

if we're counting pokemon, my very top favorites (sharpedo, sableye, stunfisk, swalot etc) might surpass him. It's pretty close. I don't really count Pokemon as being "characters" exactly, but I think they're deep enough into that gray area to warrant mentioning. Actually it's just because I'm too much of a bloody fangirl to not rave about them at every opportunity.

honorable mentions to fawful, petey piranha (for some reason), groose, luigi, magus (chrono trigger), riki (xenoblade), miror b., porky (mother), henry (awakening), guildmaster wigglytuff, anna (awakening), linebeck, uh....maybe a few others I'm forgetting would qualify. I like a lot of video game characters to some degree or another.

Last edited:
I have played far too many games, so I will list a lot of characters. Anyways, that is one hard question. Most of the characters I like, I like because of their design/the games they are from and not for their... well, personalities and whatever. The few exceptions being Akane Kurashiki (Zero Escape), GLaDOS (Portal), Professor Layton (duh) and Aurora (Child of Light). The other characters I love are Inklings (Splatoon), the Kirby crew (Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight), the DK crew (Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky), Bowser and Bowser Jr. (I can't believe I have a creepy kidnapper as one my favorite characters, but I can't help but appreciate Bowser and his heir), Luigi and Captain Toad (Mario), Skull Kid (Zelda), the Earthbound characters, many Rhythm Heaven characters (Forthington <3), Ori, Naru and Kuro (Ori and the Blind Forest), Shovel Knight (as well as Plague and Shield Knights), the Elite Agents (Elite Beat Agents), Sissel and Missile (Ghost Trick), Mega Man (classic), Pikmins & Olimar (Pikmin, heh), Starlow, Fawful, Dimentio, Geno, Mallow, Vivian, Goombella, Bedsmith (Mario RPGs), Classic Sonic and Blaze the Cat (Sonic) and I guess that's it. I like others (like a bunch of Pokémon), but these are my favorites.

Now that I played Fire Emblem Awakening, I have a newfound love for Cherche, especially after her S-Support with Male MU. It's really hard to resist her classy charm that both she and Virion has. It also helped that unlike a number of other S-Support conversations, it didn't feel cheesy, and maybe even a bit tragic for Cherche and Minerva.

Henry and Tharja from Fire Emblem- Awakening. They are good as units, interesting characters, and have entertaining supports (especially with each other.) And I also really like Libra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom