• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why can't Muddy Water act like Surf?

Tyrfing

Prince of Leonster
Reaction score
Title says all. But don't you wonder that? It looks EXACTLY like Surf. :mad:

Well the difference is actually in the name "Muddy Water", as you can't see through Muddy Water like Clear Water (hence the chance of lowering accuracy).

If it acted like "Surf" there would be no real use for "Surf". It's why they invented HMs, to make the game seem more indepth. To go to this place, you need to get this HM which is different from every other move because...

Example; Fury Swipes could do the same as Cut in a battle. Outside of the battle, it wouldn't cut a tree - but Cut can.

See my point? Without HM's giving you the option to do things outside of battle there would be no use for them. + Not every water Pokemon can learn muddy water but almost every water Pokemon can learn surf.

I think it's because Muddy Water is a mix-up of mud and water. So unlike clear water, muddy water can't move freely due to the frictions and weight caused by the mud. So it can only hit one target.

Probably also cause unlike surf where the Pokemon actually summons a surge of water its probably just showering the target with muddy water.

I actually like having a "Surf" that doesn't hurt your allies in Doubles. Mostly due to the times I've had with my Goodra where that came in handy...

As for why, IDK :B

Same reason why Slash can't cut down trees and Brick Break can't smash boulders. Because... reasons!

Because clearly the water has to be muddy to swim on it with Muddy Water and all Water is nice and not muddy.

To be honest on this note, why can't blatantly-swimmy pokemon just surf without needing to be taught moves by modern human machines? I call Nintendo Logic.

Because it isn't an HM.
I think he might also mean how surf hits everything on the field(except the attacker) and Muddy Water just hits one.

When Muddy Water was introduced in Gen III, it acted more like Surf, which hit both opponents in doubles, but not the ally.
From Gen IV onwards, surf changed but MW didn't, meaning it still hit both targets - not one (or all adjacent foes for triples in Gen V onwards) without hitting the ally too.

The reason is simple: they are similar yet different. MW has less power and accuracy than Surf, in exchange for the chance to reduce accuracy, and being safe to use with allies. From a mechanics standpoint, you mustn't be forced into a position where you accidentally reduce your ally's accuracy. If you choose to target your ally with Flash, that's one thing, but it can't happen as a by-product it would be too imbalanced.

The reason is simple: they are similar yet different. MW has less power and accuracy than Surf, in exchange for the chance to reduce accuracy, and being safe to use with allies.

Same power.

Be cool if they had some muddy water areas that needs MW to transverse it.

To be honest on this note, why can't blatantly-swimmy pokemon just surf without needing to be taught moves by modern human machines? I call Nintendo Logic.

I had always thought the same thing. Why teach a Pokemon Surf when the thing can already swim, and could easily hold an average human being afloat? I'M LOOKING AT YOU, LAPRAS!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom