• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do people hate Gen 4 and 5 so much?

OMG why is Gen 6 your last place one? If you don't mind me asking...

Haha, it's definitely not my last one! What I meant was if I divided the games into my 'better 3' and 'worse 3', it would be in the worse 3. If I had to do an actual order, it'd probably be 5,4,3,6,2,1. As for why I don't like it as much, I just simply haven't found as much enjoyment in it as the others. It's far from over, though, so I hope any future games or content can improve my opinion on it.

I can totally understand what you mean. I love it but my one problem with it is the lack of post-game content. Every other complaint I have isn't all that important...

my list is:

1: Gen 2
2: Gen 3
3: Gen 1
4: Gen 5
5: Gen 6
6: Gen 4

i REALLY hated the p/s split

DPPt had some great additions like the PS split and a good bunch of pokemon , but they are my least favourite pokemon games mainly because of how damn slow they are. Watching residual damage pile up was painful.

And I liked Gen 5. I liked the story, since it seemed like the only one they've actually tried with instead of doing something really bland and repetitveness. And there were a bunch of new features I liked such as triple battles and seeing the full back of your pokemon. However the two main complaints I have go hand in hand: Worst generation for pokemon designs (although there were some awesome ones) and the fact you can only use these pokemon. And my next complaint may seem really nitpicky but it really bugged me. I hated the idea of the music completely changing to the beeping sound instead of it being the background. For example, when your facing Ghetsis, he has this amazing theme and then all the tension is lost when that horrible beeping comes on instead of an amazing soundtrack.

However I like all gens pretty much equally.

my list is:

Why? if it wasn't Physical/Special split, Pokemon like Gengar would still be useless.
it ruined some pokemon. vaporeon learns bite, which is a dark type move. dark types were special prior to the p/s split. vaporeon's second best stat is sp. attack, while physical attack was its second worst. this also went for jolteon.

it ruined some pokemon. vaporeon learns bite, which is a dark type move. dark types were special prior to the p/s split. vaporeon's second best stat is sp. attack, while physical attack was its second worst. this also went for jolteon.

It helped a lot more Pokemon than it hurt. Mightyena couldn't do much of anything with Special Dark moves and a low Special Attack. But it could use it's high Attack stat when Dark moves were made Physical. As for Vaporeon and Jolteon, they can use the Special move Shadow Ball to do the same thing they could with Bite. Shadow Ball's even a stronger move in general.

my list is:

Why? if it wasn't Physical/Special split, Pokemon like Gengar would still be useless.
No offense but that has to be the stupidiest reason to hate P/S split. First of all before the P/S split the move category made no sense, second Bite is a really crappy move for Vaporeon and Jolteon and they can also learn Shadow Ball wich is a special move and more powerful than Bite, so that reason to hate P/S split makes no sense. And last the P/S split didn't hurt any pokemon, it helped hundred of them, Gengar before the P/S split was useless and now it's a monster.

Last edited:
my list is:

No offense but that has to be the stupidiest reason to hate P/S split. First of all before the P/S split the move category made no sense, second Bite is a really crappy move for Vaporeon and Jolteon and they can also learn Shadow Ball is a special move and more powerful than Bite, so that reason to hate P/S split makes no sense.
personally, i found it hilarious when people were trying to find out how ampharos did a hell of a lot of damage with fire/thunder punch. i found it hilarious when lance's gyarados barely scratched the surface for damage. also, Koffing and Weezing were wrecking balls with poison attacks, cos poison was physical. now, like gyarados pre-P/S, they're hopeless. why can't people just give me points for trying? i loved the non-P/S split days! from Bulbasaur to Deoxys, gens 1-3 ruled. they introduced all my favourite pokemon, including my favourite legendary (Zapdos) and you only needed to look at one screen.

Last edited:
my list is:

No offense but that has to be the stupidiest reason to hate P/S split. First of all before the P/S split the move category made no sense, second Bite is a really crappy move for Vaporeon and Jolteon and they can also learn Shadow Ball is a special move and more powerful than Bite, so that reason to hate P/S split makes no sense.
personally, i found it hilarious when people were trying to find out how ampharos did a hell of a lot of damage with fire/thunder punch. i found it hilarious when lance's gyarados barely scratched the surface for damage. also, Koffing and Weezing were wrecking balls with poison attacks, cos poison was physical. now, like gyarados pre-P/S, they're hopless.
Weezing Attack and Special Attack is nearly the same so he's not hopeless, Fire/Thunder Punch are really shitty moves for Ampharos when it can have Thunderbolt wich is more powerful, another example of a pokemon helped by the P/S split : Gyarados, he was useless before because Waterfall was special and he's Physical oriented. Just give it up, P/S split was a godsend.

i hid a joke in the Koffing and Weezing part... anyway, my hate for the P/S split can't get extinguished. far too many times has it ended me and it's why i hate Stoutland as well. that Fire Fang will be extinguished someday... and although my P/S hate is something you guys don't approve of, you'll just have to deal with it... Gens 4 and 5 confused me.

Gengar before the P/S split was useless and now it's a monster.
Gyarados, he was useless before because Waterfall was special and he's Physical oriented.
Those two aren't good examples, since Gengar has been overused since Generation I (due to its stats and versatility) and so has Gyarados since Generation III (due to Dragon Dance and Earthquake). They appreciated getting usable STAB moves, but they obviously didn't hinge on them.

Gyarados, he was useless before because Waterfall was special and he's Physical oriented.
Those two aren't good examples, since Gengar has been overused since Generation I (due to its stats and versatility) and so has Gyarados since Generation III (due to Dragon Dance and Earthquake). They appreciated getting usable STAB moves, but they obviously didn't hinge on them.
Yeah but they weren't nearly as good as they are now.

there is another reason i hated gens 4 and 5. the fact that the storylines make absolutely no sense.

there is another reason i hated gens 4 and 5. the fact that the storylines make absolutely no sense.
How is that?

to start, the champion should be the last person you should battle in the main story. in BW, it's Ghetsis, not the just made champion Natural Harmonia Gropius (that's N's full name), the Distortion World screws up the dimensions of the world, and, well let's just say there are too many to count.

The Physical/Special move split had to happen at some point and I am really glad they did it in Gen 4. What's the point of having a bunch of, say, fire-type moves if they all do the same thing as a special move? Physical fire-types get the short end of the stick in this scenario and people would just forgo all these moves for Fire Blast, Heat Wave, or Flamethrower, anyways. This has also made inferior moves, prior to Gen 3, big favorites in the competitive circle. Waterfall became very useful thanks to the split, otherwise it would have been just a waste of an HM slot because it was viewed as inferior to Surf. So yes, ShadowSandslash, I have to agree with the bunch that the split was, indeed, a godsend. You are free to hate it all you want, and I can understand it being difficult to adjust to something like that, but it HAS been 2 generations since the split has happened, and you are still mad about it? I'm just wondering why you haven't just adjusted to it yet.

Getting back on topic, I admit I am not a huge fan of Generation 4. I think it has to do with the fact that none of the Pokemon appealed to me in Diamond and Pearl. The only Pokemon I really loved (pre-National Dex) were the Luxray and Floatzel lines, with everything else being close to forgettable, and if I did remember them, it was usually for negative reasons (Garchomp being one of them). It is also the only generation where I didn't like any of the starters, so that didn't help my opinion of it. Platinum came out and I admit that it was a good game. A lot of the fire-types that they brought back were some of my favorites, and it really addressed a lot of issues that I had with D/P.

Generation 5, on the other hand, I love! I am not ashamed to admit that it was my favorite generation. It really did give a feel that it was something new, but since there was also the knowledge that it was backwards compatible with Generation 4, I did not feel any dread that playing with the new Pokemon at the time felt forced like it was in Gen 3. I have a love/hate relationship with generation 3, but I will spare everyone that because I mentioned that way too many times in previous posts. Generation 6 is good, but not as good as 5, in my opinion. I like the starters much more than Gen 4's (I am really starting to love Froakie thanks to the anime!), but as far as it being a region is concerned, I am not a fan. I feel too much of it focuses on Lumiose City with the other cities having nothing to offer post Elite Four, so it kind of feels lackluster after finishing. The huge focus on Kanto Pokemon does not help my opinion of it, and this is coming from a person who loves Kanto Pokemon!

Last edited:
Am I the only one who wasn't bothered by Unova's region design? Heck, I wasn't even aware of how linear it was until I saw people talking about it. I guess how a region's routes and locations are layaed out isn't important to me.

to start, the champion should be the last person you should battle in the main story. in BW, it's Ghetsis, not the just made champion Natural Harmonia Gropius (that's N's full name),
How does this counts as "not making sense" besides like Shiny Celebi said, it was nice change of pace from the typical beat the champion then watch the credits that most games in the series had.

the Distortion World screws up the dimensions of the world, and, well let's just say there are too many to count.
So let me get this straight, Your saying dimensional travel in in a game about mystical creatures who are capable of mass destruction yet peacefully co-exist with humans in a world where things such as teleportation pads and 3 inch orbs capable of holding creatures over 23 feet long exist doesn't make sense?

Btw i already receive a notification whenever i'm being quoted so stop PMing me every time you quote me it's annoying.

i think it automatically PMs you when someone quotes you. i should know, i've been quoted about 10 times today!
anyway, by too many to count, i meant too many screwed up dimensions to count. and reasons why i didn't like gens 4 and 5 as well

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom