• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do people hate on different Generations?

My favorite games would have to be BW. I like that little ice cream guy a lot. Gen 1 Pokes are REALLY uninspired to me, if Gens 1 and 5's Pokes were swapped, people would freaking love the Gen 5 ones and hate the Gen 1 ones. Also OMFG IT HAD A PLOT I CARE ABOUT!!!! And it's the first game in which I ever beat the E4. But LeafGreen just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside because it's the first Pokemon game I ever played.

honestly i think it is because people find that they all seem the same now every generation 3 or more new legendary pokemon with maybe 1 or 2 semi legendary pokemon with the same character moving from one gym to another who then makes it to the pokemon league only fail and move on.

but saying that, i dont seem to have a cut off yet and i've been watching since day 1, i just like the adventures in between the gyms and really the crazy gym leaders.

In regards to Vanillish. I do not think Vanillish is a bad Pokemon because it's an ice cream cone Pokemon.

If done properly, Game Freak could have pulled off that concept. However, they did not. Vanillish is not very well put together, not all that interesting and doesn't really make a whole lot of sense when you come right down to it.

Anything with any sort of popularity will have haters. And within its fans will be haters of different aspects of said thing. For something as large as the Pokemon metaseries, that means that people will not only hate individual characters or plot elements, but entire gens.

I notice a lot of the time that anyone who hates an entire gen does so because of some sort of nostalgia. Each gen has something good to offer for the series as a whole, and I've never seen anyone successfully argue against that. When they try, it's clear that they're just favoring other gens because that is what they played when they were younger. Everything looks better when you're younger--you're naive, so anything that isn't directly harmful is fun. Those feelings stick with you if you don't learn to reason later on. And that's how nostalgia-blinded fanboys are born.

I personally don't hate any gen. It actually makes it difficult for me to have a favorite.

To be honest, a lot of the oddly-designed Gen. V Pokémom have a just as weird Gen. I counterpart.
VANILLITE LINE IS BASED OFF AN ICE CREAM CONE THAT'S FOOD SO UNORIGINAL
*COUGHEXEGGUTECOUGH*
KLINK LINE BASED OFF (Whatever you call it) SO UNORIGINAL
*COUGHVOLTORBLINECOUGH*
aaaand
TRUBBISH LINE IS BASED OFF GARBAGE SO UNORIGINAL
*COUGHGRIMERLINECOUGH*

I have proved my point, essentially.

Initially, I disliked Generation III because it wouldn't let me send over my hard-trained team from Generation II. Now that my Generation I and II games have crapped out on me, I don't really care about that anymore, so the later Generations have grown on me.
I will admit--this is the one and only thing about Gen III that bothered me. I enjoyed the games, but knowing that my old team would eventually "die" due to the internal battery losing power just bugged me to no end. I kinda felt I was turning my back on them, really.

That said, I did enjoy Ruby and Emerald.
In regards to Vanillish. I do not think Vanillish is a bad Pokemon because it's an ice cream cone Pokemon.

If done properly, Game Freak could have pulled off that concept. However, they did not. Vanillish is not very well put together, not all that interesting and doesn't really make a whole lot of sense when you come right down to it.
I used to feel that way, until I raised one for the 'Dex info. I was floored by how strong it was and well... Okay, don't ask me how but I've warmed up to the ice cream cone, if you will. In fact, I've found it weirdly cute and have openly defended it on Pokememes--this happens to be coming from someone who wasn't sure she even liked the blasted thing!

To be honest, a lot of the oddly-designed Gen. V Pokémom have a just as weird Gen. I counterpart.
*COUGHEXEGGUTECOUGH*
*COUGHVOLTORBLINECOUGH*
aaaand
*COUGHGRIMERLINECOUGH*

It may have been done on purpose because Gen V was trying to mimic Gen I to bring back the older fans, which is just a lost cause because they bring nothing beneficial to their sales and the fans will continue to bash any post-Gen I Pokemon.

The 1st Pokemon game I played was Diamond, but Gen. 1 and 2 have always appealed to me. I never used Voltorb or Grimer anyway. I'd use Raichu or Crobat.

*COUGHEXEGGUTECOUGH*
*COUGHVOLTORBLINECOUGH*
aaaand
*COUGHGRIMERLINECOUGH*

I don't agree with that...
Exeggcute was odd, but not nearly to the point of Vanillite (also, Exeggcute wasn't based on "food"... it was based on eggs like you'd find in a bird's nest or something. Which is natural so it makes more sense that a Pokémon might resemble that, whereas an ice-cream cone makes absolutely no sense).
Voltorb (and Magnemite) were "man-made", but they were more original than Klink (as in, Magnemite wasn't just a magnet with eyes... it was designed to have the concept of a magnet but it still has originality, unlike Klink who is just a gear with some eyes slapped on).
Grimer and Trubbish are comparable I guess. The difference is that Grimer came at a time when nothing like that existed... Trubbish is just repeating the same idea (which makes it unoriginal). Also, I think it's more conceivable that a pile of sludge would be animated than a trash bag filled with garbage.

So anyway, back to the topic, I definitely think that nostalgia can play a role in someone favouring one game over another... but it shouldn't give any reason to hate any game. These seem to be reasons to hate Generation I and II:
- Generation I - bad graphics and inferior story
- Generation II - bad graphics
And as for the others, here are my reasons:
- Generation III - no compatibility with older games, all sorts of new crap introduced (some good but a lot bad), story began losing originality
- Generation IV - no real reason to hate it, but the story had lost originality over the course of it being pretty much the same for 3 generations now
- Generation V - horrible new Pokémon (like the ones mentioned above). Personally, I don't especially like the designs of any of them, even ones that people don't normally complain about (there are some exceptions though).

Of those reasons for hating Generation I and II, I don't agree with either of them. Graphics are a preference. A limited colour pallet / lower resolution doesn't make them "bad"... it just means that they're done in a different style than the other games. And the story in Generation I was pretty much the same as the story in any other game except for the fact that the Legendaries played no major role in it

People ALWAYS compare the new generations to the very first, and say that nothing is better than the originals. However, what they fail to realize that when the 1st Generation was introduced, there was NOTHING previous to compare it to! Had Gen 5 been Gen 1, people would be saying the same things. The generations aren't meant to be compared to one another.

These seem to be reasons to hate Generation I and II:
- Generation I - bad graphics and inferior story
- Generation II - bad graphics

Bad graphics can never been reason to hate a game, especially if the game comes from a different period in time. That's like saying that people were stupid for using candles to light their houses before they learned how to use electricity.

I've seen other forums where people have actually suggested that Pokemon has TOO MUCH story and should revert to original Red/Blue story of just being a trainer.

And as for the others, here are my reasons:
- Generation III - no compatibility with older games, all sorts of new crap introduced (some good but a lot bad), story began losing originality
- Generation IV - no real reason to hate it, but the story had lost originality over the course of it being pretty much the same for 3 generations now
- Generation V - horrible new Pokémon (like the ones mentioned above). Personally, I don't especially like the designs of any of them, even ones that people don't normally complain about (there are some exceptions though).

Gen III - Compatibility was the only issue for me, but I got over it. Double battles, abilities, and all the other stuff added more strategy to the games, making it more interesting. Story was new, this was the first time an evil time tried to use a Legendary Pokemon to rule or destroy the world.

Gen IV - From a basic view, the story wasn't much different, but it was. I believe the main goal of the team was to create a new world for the leader to rule by bending time and space.

Gen V - The Pokemon are fine, people just need to stop comparing them to previous generations. Though they appear a little strange at first (as does every generation), once you become use to seeing them, they'll grow on you. There has never been an ice cream Pokemon before, so Vanillite is a new idea. Klink and its evolutions are upgrading gears. Again, a new concept. Grimer is living sludge. Trubbish is trash. Not quite the same. You can compare them as much as you'd like, but they are different enough that people should be satisfied with them.

I agree with dannyjenn. Ever since Gen.2 the design of new Pokemon has lost something.

possibly due to nostalgia

personally,i hated generation 5. a lot. I thought that the pokemon were awful and that Unova was awful too
However,now I like it the most and of course Unova is the best region ever!

I don't hate any generations, and play all but Gen II and III since they're the only ones I don't have games from. I don't particularly like the Sinnoh games. I have Platinum and it took me forever to beat because it wasn't as interesting, plus it had some odd feel. I caught Dialga at almost full health with an Ultra Ball, but in my HeartGold game I couldn't catch moltres when I had weakened him to very little health, makes no sense to me. Some may not like Gen I and Gen II because they are much more slow-paced. There are no running shoes, so you're walking until you get the bike, and there are no seperate bag pockets, or ways to equip and item for easy access. They definitely take patience.

I don't hate the other gens, Gen V is just my favorite. Mostly because Gen V is the reason why I'm a fan now.

It's all about the nostalgia.

Plus I find that arguing with Gen Whunners is hopeless, because you can't argue with fools. They tell me to respect their opinion and then the next second they're attacking mine.

Hence why I don't even listen to them anymore.

Personally, I think that since there are new pokemon and characters with every new generation you start to compare these with the ones from the previous or new generation. Some people wil say GEN 1>GEN 5, because. the pokemon and characters from GEN 1 are the original. Others might say GEN 5>GEN1, because the pokemon and characters are cooler and so on.

People just are never satisfied. That's all it is. It doesn't matter if we have the cutest Pokemon, the best gadgets, the best rivals picks or the best features. People will still just b*tch and complain.

Pokemon-wise, I don't really hate any generation. They all have strong and weak points and even the bad designs grow on you over time. Only the people who have never played anything past gen I can say that all newer designs are terrible / don't look like Pokemon, but those people are not fans so why care.

Game-wise... oh boy, here I could ramble all day which game was superior over the other for reasons X and Y. From my general observations, I can say that people (myself included) hate...

Gen I
- extremely glitchy
- terrible sprites (and graphics in general)
- repetitive - even if memorable - soundtrack
- lack of any visible plot
- has aged badly in general...
- has trollish fanbase

Gen II
- the new region is tiny
- half-assed Kanto
- overexposure of Kanto Pokemon vs Johto Pokemon
- weak League (level 50 Dragonite? Really?)
- weak starters (Meganium is lolz, Feraligatr has to rely on his poor Sp.Atk for doing damage, while Typhlosion only saving grace is that it learns ThunderPunch through the TM)
- day-night function was a nightmare on any console before GBA SP due to lack of backlight
- poor internal battery
- still glitchy, although not as much as gen I
- still no plot
- no way to get Celebi past abusing the glitches and hacking

Gen III
- lack of connectivity to the past generations
- milking fans out of cash with uninnovative and mostly unnecessary remakes
- too many water routes
- has a plot, but it's so bad it's not worth wiping your ass with
- bad sprites (RSE ones in particular)
- going a little bit overboard with legendaries (although not as much as later gens)
- tons of useless, non-evolving, vendor trash Pokemon like the fireflies and Plusle / Minun
- gimmicky, "guide-dang-it" way of catching AND evolving Feebas

Gen IV
- WAY too many legends
- WAY too many evolutions and pre-evolutions, most of which were not available in-game until Platinum
- incredibly poor framerate, which resulted in games playing slow as snail
- the start of "backwards-innovations" like removing and re-introducing Battle Frontier in D/P and Platinum respectively
- in DPPt, dumbed down contests :(
- while the introduction of Wi-Fi was by far the greatest thing gen IV brought to the Pokemon universe, some... no, ALL of it's online features were very unpolished and poorly thought out to say at least, including "trading bidoof for deoxys lv.100" GTS and Wi-Fi battles crashing on you every 5 seconds

Gen V
- shamelessly dumbed down in-game. From Audinos and critical captures to harmless poison and nurses/doctors, these games take almost no brain to play
- weak region, including rushed badge quest, poor post-game (which miraculously takes about half of already small and linear region) and general lack of optional dungeons
- terrible, terrible starters
- still too many legends, with a particularly tragic example of Meloetta being denied spotlight due to so many of them existing in the first place.
- almost no meaningful innovations to the battle system
- taking a step backwards with online features... one can't help but wonder how it was even possible, but as always GF never ceases to amaze us. Disconnections on random match-ups, removal of auto-level, not doing ANyTHING with the GTS... the list goes on.
- ugly, pixelated back sprites
- HM serve almost no purpose anymore
- removal of many staples of the Pokemon series, including Safari Zone and Game Corner
- debatable, but new Pokemon really do seem to be rehashes of generation I mons for the most part

Wait what is this.....I don't even......

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom