• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Do You Think Ash Never Evolved His Pokemons?

Poketeen,wrong,it don't matter about the Gym battles since Totodile didn't have that many gyms that him to battle in and Totodile still had some good battles under his belt,he's not weak and he have shown to be strong.

I never said Totodile was weak, I'm just saying it would have been better if the writers actually used it more often. It did get a good amount of screen-time, but more would have been spectacular.

The real answer to why Ash didn't evolve his early Pokémon is that they would lose their marketing appeal.

It's also the same reason why Charmander evolved into Charizard so quickly: Everyone is crazy about Charizard, and it would be awesome if Ash had one. Of course, Ash wasn't really good at using it...

But not Pikachu. He's the general mascot of Pokémon as a franchise, so they'll never evolve him. (Technically speaking, he's already an evolved Pokémon). Besides, a 2 1/2-foot mouse can't ride on Ash's shoulder

I love Raichu and prefer Raichu over Pikachu, but a Raichu wouldn't fit Ash anyway. I don't believe in having everyone evolve just to get stronger, IMO.

The real answer to why Ash didn't evolve his early Pokémon is that they would lose their marketing appeal.

It's also the same reason why Charmander evolved into Charizard so quickly: Everyone is crazy about Charizard, and it would be awesome if Ash had one. Of course, Ash wasn't really good at using it...

elaborate, please?
charizard is possibly ash's strongest pokemon

Most here probably don't. Or haven't watched in a very long time and latch onto fandumb complaints.

It might be because we're now in Best Wishes and Ash has all unevolved Pokemon again.

Granted we're only 7 eps in.

Hopefully Ash will fully evolve his Isshu starters,but who knowns this series is entirely a reboot and there is know way to tell what the writers have plane for Ash's new Isshu team.

Because they were still promoting the HeartGold&SoulSilver games at the time before the Black&White games came out,it does make sense.

It might be because we're now in Best Wishes and Ash has all unevolved Pokemon again.

Granted we're only 7 eps in.

...still doesn't change the fact that Ash's number of evolved pokemon is still higher than his number of unevolved ones. And if that's really the case, fandom is dumber than I thought it was. Seven episodes in! Ash almost has a full team, do evos really matter at this point in time?

They didn't want to quite honestly.

And, most never showed signs of evolving so I suppose they haven't reached that point.

Ash's Pokémon don't evolve because he's not a very good trainer!
Honestly, I think the writers wanted to keep Squirtle and Bulbasaur the same to add a little variety to his team, but they choked when Johto came around and couldn't pull them off. I think they figured it out when the Hoenn arc came around, though.

Last edited:
Really, Bulbasaur and Squirtle did not need to evolve. Bulbasaur even stopped itself, and Squirtle would lose its identity if it evolved.

I think it's more like they didn't want to evolve, rather that they didn't need to evolve. Bulbasaur clearly didn't want to, but I don't think it was ever clear as to why Squirtle didn't want to evolve. I guess the little rivlary it had with that fire-fighting Wartotle implied that it wanted to prove its strength as a Squirtle, but it wasn't specifically clear like with Bulbasaur, Pikachu and even Piplup's refusal to evolve. I'm not sure that Squirtle would lose its identity if it evolved since that never specifically came up in the series.

Anyway, Ash did have some evolved Pokemon in his first team, but it wouldn't make sense to have them all fully evolve due to his inexperience. I usually don't mind if Ash's Pokemon don't evolve, as long as they have some good battles and/or nice moments to stand out in the series, but I also don't mind when they evolve. I'm generally fine either way.

I know it's the show and the writers could make a bidoof beat a machamp if they wanted to, but I think ash sould've evolved his squitle at least once. Unless it's like 20 levels higher than it's twich evolved opponet it's not gonna beat it. I think the anime needs to be more like the games. Pokemon don't evolve, they lose. They do evolve, they win. Ash still has evolved plenty of pokemon though. His pikachu is probably level 100 by now so it doesn't even need to evolve :p

Why are we asking why Ash never evolved his Pokemon? Its the writers. All of his Pokemon that didn't evolve yet was shown capable of evolution (i.e. Pikachu and Bulbasaur) chose not to, and the reason behind it was elaborated. All of his other Pokemon that were capable of evolving did.

The rest never showed the ability to. Clearly with Cyndaquil's recent evolution, it shows that his older Pokemon weren't strong enough yet since it didn't have a problem evolving. Saying that his old Pokemon were at a "high enough level" is just random speculation considering the anime doesn't go by that basis of power.

Cause hes a n00b
Meh i think its cause so he can be like
"Mwuhahahahha i kick yo ass with ma non evolvos since I focus on developing their PERSONALITY"

Perhaps the writers simply weren't sure if it was a good idea at the time. Then again, most of them did eventually albeit, with drawbacks (releases or disobediance), but it doesn't matter now since those problems are over anyway, for Ash at least.

Cyndaquil evolving was due to the HeartGold&SoulSiver games that they were still promoting at the time.

I know it's the show and the writers could make a bidoof beat a machamp if they wanted to, but I think ash sould've evolved his squitle at least once. Unless it's like 20 levels higher than it's twich evolved opponet it's not gonna beat it. I think the anime needs to be more like the games. Pokemon don't evolve, they lose. They do evolve, they win. Ash still has evolved plenty of pokemon though. His pikachu is probably level 100 by now so it doesn't even need to evolve :p
If a Pokemon is at Level 100, it can't evolve, because evolving happens when they level up. However, that's kinda a moot point, since levels have never been mentioned in the anime!:lol:

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom