• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is Brendan's design so disliked?

Everyone thought the new guy was "weird" while the new girl was "hot."
Eh, I still dislike Lucas, and I never liked Dawns design. They both have stupid hats, which seems to be the trend in Pokemon Trainer designs now... Dawn looks okay without her hat though.

Also, on topic, I personally think Brendan has the best male trainer design in the series. The Ruby/Sapphire artwork wasn't so good, but the designs for both Brendan and May are my favorites for the series.

I think Brendan looked better in Emerald, whereas May's outfit was a bit worse, but still pretty good.

Also, I don't understand why people dislike his hat. I mean, it's more of a "wig" than anything else. One official image with his hair mis-colored isn't proof at all... I've seen numerous screw-ups in official artwork for many series.

Eh, I still dislike Lucas, and I never liked Dawns design. They both have stupid hats, which seems to be the trend in Pokemon Trainer designs now... Dawn looks okay without her hat though.

Also, on topic, I personally think Brendan has the best male trainer design in the series. The Ruby/Sapphire artwork wasn't so good, but the designs for both Brendan and May are my favorites for the series.

I think Brendan looked better in Emerald, whereas May's outfit was a bit worse, but still pretty good.

Also, I don't understand why people dislike his hat. I mean, it's more of a "wig" than anything else. One official image with his hair mis-colored isn't proof at all... I've seen numerous screw-ups in official artwork for many series.

I agree I think there running out of ideas for hats, I like lucas's Platinum design besides the beret.

I found Brendan's design odd at first too. Expecting another cap wearing boy. But it grew on me as time went by. His my favourite male protagonist now. I find his design rather creative, wether the white thing is a hat or his hair. (The white hair idea makes him more badassy, while the hat one makes him more dorky..both wich I'm totally cool with XP). Though I still question why the heavy clothing in such a warm enviroment. o.o Atleast the emerald outfit makes up for that. I remember thinking that he looked evenr cooler than FRLG Red when I saw his Emerald design.

And lol..poor Kouki. I actually like his design and are kind of fond of the beret. It makes him look like a goofy naive dork, it just makes him look cute. And his hair...omg..lol. XD

The only thing lame thing about Brendan's design is that his hat isn't his real hair! But even as a hat, it's cool. His R/S design is okay, but his Emerald design is really cool.

That hasn't ever been one hundred percent confirmed, he could have black and white hair. His design is confusing..

I personally thought he looked so cool when I first saw him, mostly because of his "hair". When I found out that wasn't his actual hair, his design became meh to me.

Last edited:
That hasn't ever been one hundred percent confirmed, he could have black and white hair. His design is confusing..

I believe it HAS been confirmed that Brendan has black hair, and the white is a hat. Somewhere...

...I like Lucas's design in D/P...

Anyway, on-topic, Brendan is probably my favorite male design. He just looks less generic than Red or Gold did.

the Orange and green combo angers me greatly.
other than that, i have no qualms with his design.

If I knew where, I would have said so. :-/ But I'm fairly certain that I've heard it confirmed before, I just don't remember where.

I don't think Game Freak really ever confirms stuff like this.

All we have is his contradicting official art, sprite and the fact Pikachu only wears his headband in Brawl.

you can blame that on Gamefreak going St. Patrick's Day and trying to shoehorn Emerald's coloring into everything.

I knew people would bring up Lucas in this topic too.

It was almost the same with Lucas/Dawn as it was with Brendan/May.

Everyone thought the new guy was "weird" while the new girl was "hot." Am I seriously the only one who remembers this back when R/S and DP were first revealed?

I don't particularly remember the reception for the girl in Ranger 2 being all that great, which is probably why the anime chose to focus on the male character instead.

BTW, I wonder how people would've compared Red and Blue back in the day IF Blue had been included (considering she appears in Sugimori artwork, popular speculation suggests that she was initially planned as a female character in the first game). For that matter, how would the reception towards Park and Mint have been like if Card GB2 had more publicity (especially in the west)?

I don't particularly remember the reception for the girl in Ranger 2 being all that great, which is probably why the anime chose to focus on the male character instead.

Yeah, but the Ranger game characters aren't as big a deal for obvious reasons.

I think the Brendan was so disliked simply because they tried way too hard to make him look cool. Red and Gold looked more like normal kids. Even Lucas looks pretty average except for the beret.

That could have been it, I like Brenden a lot more than other male protagonists, even Red, but then again many complained that RS were not GSC so that probably didn't help much.

Well he wouldn't be wearing black or purple or yellow in Emerald game, which emerald is a green gem.

The Special Manga. Ruby/Brendan takes off his hat to reveal black hair.

I thought he had black hair, but never really found out. And I always thought he was wearing a bandana or the thing that looks like one, not really a hat

Everyone thought the new guy was "weird" while the new girl was "hot." Am I seriously the only one who remembers this back when R/S and DP were first revealed?

I never really got RS until 2006, so idk but then and I never heard that about D/P, I didn't even think that either.

I never thought of the hat was his head I thought it was his white hair and he was wearing a headband I mean I thought it be obvious RSE female wears a bandana the male wears a headband

The same manga that had the Elite 4 as bad guys.

And yet the same manga which assumed that Silver is the son of Giovanni, among some other things. Either just a coincidence or not, it has pretty valid points and tends to stick to the line dicted by the official canon.

Last edited:
What's with the hating on the hats? D: The DPPt hero's hat is adorable as hell, I want to take it home! Who needs normality and reality in Pokemon? That's like asking for logic in a Zelda game.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom