• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is evolution such a big issue in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it doesn't. I can't disprove God any more than you can disprove the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But the process of evolution has a lot of evidence, both in archaeological remains and in the environment around us, unlike intelligent design. It's a sound theory, because we can watch it happening all around us.

Which is a lot more than the Intelligent Design theory can say.

Actually, you can see God working all around you. You just arnt looking.

You see evolution working all around you and you ignore it. But, like with God, it's an invisible hand.

Ok, lets just say that other animals evolve, prove that we evolved. I just see it pointless, since the earth is only a thousands of years old. And humans can be dated back thousands of years. The Great Flood is another intresting factor to research. I read this very intresrting book on it.

Actually, you can see God working all around you. You just arnt looking.

And you can see the Flying Spaghetti Monster working all around you. He's even got graphs. Obviously YOU are the one who's not looking.

No, really, give me a real argument.

Let's compare this to sandwich making. There is a sandwich in front of us. I am saying that all around us, sandwiches are being assembled from their separate ingredients, so it's very plausible this sandwich was assembled in the same manner. You are saying that despite this, since we do not have direct proof that the sandwich was made this way, THIS one must have spontaneously appeared from a mysterious sandwich maker in the sky.

Give me something to back your theory. And don't say "The sandwich maker's there! I can see him! See? He's waving at me right now!" or something along those lines. I have my own reasons to doubt in God, and honestly I'd rather not go into those right now.

And you can see the Flying Spaghetti Monster working all around you. He's even got graphs. Obviously YOU are the one who's not looking.

No, really, give me a real argument.

Let's compare this to sandwich making. There is a sandwich in front of us. I am saying that all around us, sandwiches are being assembled from their separate ingredients, so it's very plausible this sandwich was assembled in the same manner. You are saying that despite this, since we do not have direct proof that the sandwich was made this way, THIS one must have spontaneously appeared from a mysterious sandwich maker in the sky.

Give me something to back your theory. And don't say "The sandwich maker's there! I can see him! See? He's waving at me right now!" or something along those lines. I have my own reasons to doubt in God, and honestly I'd rather not go into those right now.

Wow, so, am I the lettuce or the roast turkey breat? Listen, comparing earth to a sandwhich is pointless. For one thing, the Carbon dating metod is flawed. The earth is only a thousand years old. Evolution falls apart under scrutany(which nobody does anymore cause they are so willing to accept it) AND true Christians can know there is a God by their own reasoning. Ive heard of this ongoing miracle happening in Italy. Its pretty mysterious, thats for sure. And it totally defies Science. Also, for every saint canonized by the church, are 2 more miracles. Also, if there wasnt a God, why hasnt the church fallen apart? Despite scandal, oppression, slavery, torture, the church still stands, 2000 years later. If it was so apparent that there was no God(Im curious to hear your reasons) than why hasnt the church fallen apart?

There is no point, Pie.

I've researched his so-called sources. He's quoting a book by John C Whitcomb, who is a theologian, and who is known for misquoting scientists in his books (using only key selected phrase without any context, deleting inconvenient words, etc) to prove his point.

I'm not going to bother arguing with him.

Wow, so, am I the lettuce or the roast turkey breat? Listen, comparing earth to a sandwhich is pointless. For one thing, the Carbon dating metod is flawed. The earth is only a thousand years old. Evolution falls apart under scrutany(which nobody does anymore cause they are so willing to accept it) AND true Christians can know there is a God by their own reasoning. Ive heard of this ongoing miracle happening in Italy. Its pretty mysterious, thats for sure. And it totally defies Science. Also, for every saint canonized by the church, are 2 more miracles. Also, if there wasnt a God, why hasnt the church fallen apart? Despite scandal, oppression, slavery, torture, the church still stands, 2000 years later. If it was so apparent that there was no God(Im curious to hear your reasons) than why hasnt the church fallen apart?

First off. If the "earth is only a thousand years old", then how is it the church still stands "2000 years later"? Basic math, please.

Anyway. You want to know why everything still stands, even in the face of an idea which completely overthrows it with evidence to back it fully?

Because the faith of people in what they want to believe can be astounding.

My great-grandmother was devout to the Russian Orthodox church. You say you have faith? I have never met anyone who had as faith as her. She was a wonderful woman, and I loved her dearly.

She lived to a very old age and suffered a lot in her final years. My sister once heard her say, "God has forgotten me."

That was the only way she could rationalize her pain. That someone as sweet and devout as her, someone who inscribed herself so deeply into our memories, had been forgotten by God.

So yes. The church still stands. Because no matter what, we want to believe what it's saying so badly that we'd take it over something with substantial evidence. We want to be loved by an almighty deity, we want someone watching over us. We want to feel special. We don't want to believe we're just one step in a long process of change with no greater goal.

I am an Agnostic. I do not know the answers. But I desire none of these things from above. Because quite frankly, I know another place they can be found; in the hearts of those around me. We can love each other, we can watch over each other, we can show one another why we are special. And what happens next will be whatever it will be.

Well, good luck to you than. You can believe what you want. Fact is fact, there is a God, evolution is false. Whether you believe me or not, heck, not my problem. Your the one who will have to straighten things out with the big man when you go, who knows, you might just make it into heaven. Anyway, have a good time. I got places to go, people to see, and murderous democrats to vote out of office. So, have a good life. You can misinterpret things all you want. You are just wrong on this issue, than again, maybe you guys did come from monkeys. You sure act like it. Good day, and if you ever want to discuss something based around entertainment, give me a buzz.

Okay, one thing about that irks me.

Evolution never says humans come from monkeys! Evolution states that humans and monkeys come from a common ancestor! It's the difference between a grandfather and a cousin! Huge difference! If you're going to use arguments with giant holes in them, you could at least get that ONE! DETAIL! RIGHT!

*gasp* *pant*

Sorry. That one irks me so much. SO much.

Okay, one thing about that irks me.

Evolution never says humans come from monkeys! Evolution states that humans and monkeys come from a common ancestor! It's the difference between a grandfather and a cousin! Huge difference! If you're going to use arguments with giant holes in them, you could at least get that ONE! DETAIL! RIGHT!

*gasp* *pant*

Sorry. That one irks me so much. SO much.

You've officially joined the "Showcreator gave me an aneurysm" club. Welcome, Pie.

Wonder if I can convince Kasumi to give us a club icon...

(Not really)

I could make one. Would an exploding head work?

(Just kidding, of course. XD)

An exploding head would be nice.

I'm more wondering who wouldn't join really. A "ShowCreator doesn't give me an aneurysm" club might be more acceptable. And it might be easier to handle membership requests for, too. I mean, there'd be ShowCreator, Girafarig Magcargo, and...hmmm...I don't think even Mozz would join...

Okay, time to get back on subject.

Though unless someone's going to debate the other side again, there's not much left to the topic...

I'd like to know who exactly the democrats are murdering, myself. :lol: I'm sure they're using their evil, liberal, unpatriotic, anti-God beams to do it, too.

We're all murderers. Specifically, we all commit genocide with rather alarming frequency. Every time we use soap, we kill off massive amounts of bacteria.

But bacteria generation spans are so short that the few that survive will replenish themselves quickly! The more you wash your hands, the faster bacteria evolves to become immune to the soap! In the end, the bacteria have this world on a giant platter!

Muahahaha.

I'd like to know who exactly the democrats are murdering, myself. :lol: I'm sure they're using their evil, liberal, unpatriotic, anti-God beams to do it, too.

It's like the military's heat beam techology. Only it actually does something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom