• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is GS considered the best Gen?

I think GS just had the coolest pokemon. After the first and second gen. pokemon just got awful (baring Altaria, of course :p) with so many ubers & evolutions of previous pokemon. (I personally think that RSE had my least favourite pokemon ever, &, once again, baring Altaria).

I have played all the games from GEN1 and never have put them down/gotten bored.

G/S/C is up there for top fav game in the series. And after beating D/P i can not wait for a DS or SP remake. I have a few reasons to defend G/S/C;

1-New Pokemon
2-Steel and Dark
3-Bug and Ghost became Psychic killers finally.
4-Shines
5-Pokerus
6-16 gyms
7-Time and Day effects
8-Breeding
9-Cool rival and story arc
10-New evolution methods
11-Held items
12-Better box management
13-Gave us the toughest trainer(lvl wise) in any of the games till Gen4, Red.

I have played all the games from GEN1 and never have put them down/gotten bored.

G/S/C is up there for top fav game in the series. And after beating D/P i can not wait for a DS or SP remake. I have a few reasons to defend G/S/C;

1-New Pokemon
I remember the hype for that like none other. With "Pikablu" and Snubbull... I was soo excited for Snubull! I thought he was so cute! XD
3-Bug and Ghost became Psychic killers finally.
They were like the in RBY iirc.
13-Gave us the toughest trainer(lvl wise) in any of the games till Gen4, Red.
Who did we have in gen. 4?

They were like the in RBY iirc.
Not particularly. In Gen 1, Ghost attacks didn't affect Psychic-types. The only two Bug-type attacks were Twinneedle which was (and still is discounting Sketch) a Beedrill-only move and Pin Missile. Neither of them were anything special.

Each generation has its own quirks which make them good. I liked the new legendaries and starters in Gen 2 personally, along with the genders thing.

My opinion:
1. They have the most creative Pokemon

2. The Pokemon there are the kewlest

3. They're most original

4. It has the best starters

5. It has the best Pokemon...

Who did we have in gen. 4?

people in the battle tower can have lvl100 legendaries. I really don't count them as the games story though. That makes Red the games strongest story character.

and it wasnt until gen2 where ghost and bug finally got moves to hurt psychics.

Going along with Julie said about G/S/C being "cozy"...

how can no one mention how feckin AWESOME the music was? I loved just about every theme in the game (especially Goldenrod). I think G/S/C were the ONLY games I played with the volume turned up.

G/S/C had a very "old world", calming feel that I don't think another Pokemon game has matched.

and it wasnt until gen2 where ghost and bug finally got moves to hurt psychics.

Too bad the only new Ghost was a very weak, non-evolver so we still only had poison-ghost Pokemon to use.

I loved GS because of the awesome story line. I loved doing everything in Johto and then ebing able to go over to Kanto and do that whole storyline too. I played it over and over and over until my battery died. Now everytime I see a G/S/C in gamestop or somethin I always buy it to check the battery. I bought silver tonight but the battery was dead...:(

Going along with Julie said about G/S/C being "cozy"...

how can no one mention how feckin AWESOME the music was? I loved just about every theme in the game (especially Goldenrod). I think G/S/C were the ONLY games I played with the volume turned up.

G/S/C had a very "old world", calming feel that I don't think another Pokemon game has matched.

I have the songs on my iPod. Lighthouse music ftw! :3

Agreed, the only post gen II themes that come close to GSCs gems are Mirror Bs themes and the DP rival battle.

Last edited:
I loved GS because of the awesome story line. I loved doing everything in Johto and then ebing able to go over to Kanto and do that whole storyline too. I played it over and over and over until my battery died. Now everytime I see a G/S/C in gamestop or somethin I always buy it to check the battery. I bought silver tonight but the battery was dead...:(

They can probably replace the battery in a video game shop somewhere. I had my Silver versions' batteries replaced.

Oooh, man! Serious nostalgia trip! I loved everything about GSC. They were my first pokemon games, and whenever I play them, it takes me back to that first christmas I got it.

The music is really nostalgic, especially the cave music. I liked that you could go to Kanto, albet a dummed down version of Kanto. 16 badges!!! I thought that's kinda cool. The daily events were very numerous, and none of the subsequent games have been able to rival them. The phone system was cool, especially because in crystal, people would give you evo stones. The radio feature was really cool. I liked how it could influence the frequency/status of wild pokemon, and there were some secret brodcasts. The Ruins of Alph were a nice distraction as well. There were several small side-stories that were interesting. The bug catching contest was fun to do once in a while. Pokemon that were only availabel on certain days were cool. Mount Silver was a nice addition. Not to mention my favorite pokemon come from the second gen games.

OMG, I soo want to play now. Too bad my silver's batteries are dead...

Because of the awesome Pokemon designs and the beautiful region and its music? Also Lugia raped.

Oh, man. Johto! I loved the region so much. I loved that I could picture everything, I could easily imagine what it would be like to live there... and fantasize about it I did, oh so much. The only time I can imagine a place in Pokémon that clearly was once I rediscovered RSE, and now I adore Hoenn as well. The music in Johto was fantastic. I was too n00bish to notice the poor spreading of new Pokémon, though I don't know that I would've cared anyway - certainly don't now. And almost all of the new ones were really cool aesthetically.

That was something I didn't like in RSE, too many Pokémon that just looked off. But it's now tying for my favourite along with GSC, cause both regions were fun and the music tied in so very well. Sinnoh just isn't as appealing as a region, I think because it's so hick-ish. It's growing on me, though. Slowly. And Kanto is just kinda boring. Another thing that keeps me from loving DP is the frikkin battle speed. I don't know how everyone can stand it, it's so damn slow. I play for a while, and then switch to any other one and it's just like: WHAM! Speed and fun! Oh, and I don't know how anyone could like the way the put the Pokémon in DP. I remember one route, one looong route, where the only thing you comee across is Bronzor and Ponyta. And is it just me, or is Ponyta the only fire type you can catch?!

But anyway, I'd have to say GSC is fun because of the new features (durr), the appeal of the region itself, the Pokémon (again, don't care about the ratio), and the whole cencept of having something to actually DO after you beat the Elite Four. And yes, I enjoyed going back to Kanto, even though it was too easy. And seeing Red was a beautiful thing.

Johto rules ir introduced so much stuff plus music was good and Lugia baby Yah I miss johto I hope they do remakes!

a reason to get nintendo to make gold and silver remakes and cuz its the hardest place to get pokemon from

I'm of the opinion that the GSC games were good for their time, but are now pretty dated and looking closer at it with an eye that isn't clouded by nostalgia, pretty poorly executed.

Most of the biggest gripes were already covered by earlier posters, namely ones about GSC Pokémon being shafted in favour of older Pokémon and the inclusion of a poorly made Kanto where every corner was cut in programming.

However, the largest gripe I have with GSC would be the fans of it who love to sing it's praises as if God himself programmed it. Also, tend to use the exact same points as well. Every time a thread about GSC is started, they ALWAYS ALWAYS name features such as "breeding", "day and night" and other things.

Simple features don't make for a good gaming experience, it's how the game works as a whole.

GC is the best, because it is.

Johto is THE best region, it has by far the best creatures you can catch, like Spinarak, Heracross, Aipom, Pineco, it introduced the godly Smeargle [who I love to bits], and getting a decent monster of ANY type was relatively easy [ala Eevee]

By the time you got to fight the E4, you had a team of Pokémon types you could like, thanks to early catches of Eevee and Ditto - I once took a whole team of Eevee and his forms to fight the E4.

GS as games, introduced many of the mechanics that were landmarks to the series as a whole, while keeping a feeling of familiarity. You didn't feel like a stranger the whole time, and you didn't feel like there was something incomplete.

RS on the other hand, was TERRIBLE, due to lack of backward compatibility.

At the time, GS' backward compatibility was a godsend! Add PokéSta 2 to it, and you can literally have the best experience of Pokémon ever!

It was all before the company had the greed to make everything so hard to do. You could easily complete a Pokédex with just the GBA games, nothing added to it. The only impossible creature to capture was Celebi.

The game was just plain likeable, I remember my marathon of playing Silver, connected to my speakers. It was the best thing ever ^^ I just LOOOOOOOVE the music, especially the Champion theme [my personal favorite music of ANY Pokémon game], the Kanto Gym Leader theme, the theme for Johto Gyms, Mt. Silver's theme, and Goldenrod City's theme.

I spend countless hours riding my bike through Goldenrod to hatch eggs - I wouldn't be hatching them anywhere else, since the theme for it just gives me this wonderful feeling inside. ^^ I just love that city to death!

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom