• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why on Earth does Blubapedia list Lillie’s Magearna as shiny?

L-05308

Reaction score
Is there anything in the anime to indicate this? Or am I just overreacting to a silly edit by a silly user?

If I remember correctly, when HOME was released it was discovered that dull-colored Magearna does have a distinct shiny variant, which is pure grey in color. This is also the same color as Lillie’s Magearna, hence why it is labeled as shiny.
HOME801_s.png
Mohn_Magearna.png

Last edited:
Um am I seeing things or is the legit shiny Magearna not the same color as Lillie's in the above comparison? The video game version is incredibly metallic looking and bright silver while Lillie's Magearna looks more like it's a very dull copper or watered down tannish hue.

Last edited:
Um am I color blind are is the legit shiny Magearna not the same color as Lillie's in the above comparison? The video game version is incredibly metallic looking and bright silver while Lillie's Magearna looks more like it's a very dull copper or watered down tannish hue.
They're not identical in color, but Lillie's Magearna is all grey except for its eyes and core, just like the shiny variant in HOME. Regular dull-colored Magearna has gold trim, a dusty pink dress, a black "belt," and some white sections such as the underskirt.
Lillie's and shiny
1587003861276.png
HOME801_s.png
vs. regular
1587004217149.png
HOME801.png

I'd also like to note that generally HOME artwork and models are more metallic-looking (if the Pokemon has metallic parts) and have slightly different colors compared to other artwork and in-game models. Klink is a good example of this.

Last edited:
She doesn't own it. She's just looking after it.
Which is just a technicality. She’s looking after it, but she has no one to return it to. In essence she owns it, just not in a Pokeball.
Sun and Moon went really overboard with the special Pokémon (Legendary/Mythical/whatever unique features).

Which is just a technicality. She’s looking after it, but she has no one to return it to. In essence she owns it, just not in a Pokeball.
It's the same case as with Shaymin. It's a wild Pokémon who's traveling with her. Except that it has a more personal connection with her.
Is there anything in the anime to indicate this? Or am I just overreacting to a silly edit by a silly user?
I discussed this with a Bulbapedia admin, who allowed me to add the info to Bulbapedia.

It's the same case as with Shaymin. It's a wild Pokémon who's traveling with her. Except that it has a more personal connection with her.
Shaymin however did have a purpose where it had to leave Mallow after getting a gracidea flower. Magearna has no such thing. Lillie is taking care of it. For whom? Where does it need to go?
Its an almost identical situation to Gladion's Zoroark, but it’s just that Lillie hasn’t captured Magearna in a Pokeball.

Wait, so regular Magearna is just Original Color Magearna with most of the Pokeball coloring faded away, and Shiny Magearna is regular Magearna with the rest of the coloring faded away?

It's kind of depressing that we finally had a Shiny Pokemon joining the main cast in nearly two decades (after Ash's Noctowl), but:
a) no one in the anime acknowledges that it's shiny;
b) it only joins for little over 1 episode before the series ended; and
c) apparently no one in real life noticed that it's shiny until said series had ended nearly half a year ago

Side Note: It's a neat touch that Shiny Original Color Magearna has Ultra Ball Coloring, way cooler than regular Shiny "All My Paint has Corroded Away" Magearna

c) apparently no one in real life noticed that it's shiny until said series had ended nearly half a year ago
I mean, there was nothing *to* notice. If you were to hack a shiny dull-colored Magearna into a gen 7 game, it would look identical to the non-shiny variant. There wasn’t an official difference until HOME, with the shiny artwork and model, was released. Until then, that Magearna was just a differently colored variant a la pink Butterfree.

Last edited:
I mean, there was nothing *to* notice. If you were to hack a shiny dull-colored Magearna into a gen 7 game, it would look identical to the non-shiny variant. There wasn’t an official difference until HOME, with the shiny artwork and model, was released. Until then, that Magearna was just a differently colored variant a la pink Butterfree.

*checks bulbapedia*
Ohhh, I never realized that the shiny variant of Magearna wasn't even implemented until Pokemon HOME.

Does make you wonder though... Since Shiny Pokemon from Gen 6 onwards have their colors specifically designed, could the designers have looked at Magearna in the anime to get their inspiration for Shiny Magearna in Pokemon HOME?

Good enough answers for me, I don’t edit on Bulbapedia anymore so I don’t get to see the ‘behind the scenes’ discussion any more.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom