• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why should I care if my pokemon was hacked or not?

JonestownTea

Porygon-Z User
Reaction score
Okay so I am pretty new here as you can see this is my first post. However I lurk like one of the best. Anyway I am wondering why I should care if I get traded a hacked Pokemon or not. Whats the difference to me? If I go onto the GTS or trade with someone who gave me their friend code why should it matter to me if the Pokemon they trade me is hacked or not? I personally purchase a Ruby edition from eBay that had quite a few Legits on it, but every Pokemon in the version was shiny excluding the event Pokemon. So I have 386 Level 100 Shiny Pokemon, most of which are probably hacked, no? But why should I care if it was hacked or not, how does that concern me as a player? I just bought the game to fill up my National Dex and not a single Pokemon is seriously hacked, and by seriously hacked I mean 999 in every stat or as another example Wonder Guard on a Spiritomb hacked (even though Spiritomb is GenIV). So why are people shunned when they get screwed into having a hacked Pokemon? Is there something that I am missing? It just seems that everyone is afraid, and quite frankly I am too, I even go to the extent of not using a single Legendary on my team so as to not screw anyone who "can't" get one. But really why is everyone afraid of getting a hacked Pokemon and I guess what is considered hacked these days anyway?

Whether or not you care is up to you. No one will make you care. But others do.

JonestownTea said:
So why are people shunned when they get screwed into having a hacked Pokemon?

Do YOU want to be screwed in a deal? ANY deal?

But really why is everyone afraid of getting a hacked Pokemon and I guess what is considered hacked these days anyway?

A hacked Pokemon is any Pokemon obtained through the use of a cheating device.

Some people don't like hacked Pokemon on principle alone. Some are afraid of having their games corrupted. A lot of people don't give a crap, and that's their right, but a lot do. As long as you're honest about how you obtained a Pokemon, you're always going to find a taker if you're looking for a trade. Or, if not, there's always the GTS.

Do YOU want to be screwed in a deal? ANY deal?

I don't think one hacked Pokemon is then end of the world, I imagine anyone could just trade it away again on the open market of the GTS. And if they stand merely on principle alone then I guess they would release it or something. But really is it that bad to have a hacked version? A Mew is a Mew is a Mew. I can understand that the 999 in every stat is unfair and bad, but that level 10 Mew is that so awful?

Anyway, I do think that people don't like going against hacked Pokemon is that they themselves don't know if it's hacked legitly or unlegitly until they see its summary screen. Even if they are hacked legitly, chances are that their IVs are all 31, something that many competitive players only dream of doing. I know that everyone raises their own Pokemon, so they would feel cheated out of a win if the other uses hacked legits. But think about it, that's what those who play NetBattle and Shoddy do. While it's not exactly the same (i.e. not everyone can use Pokesav), hacked legits aren't more challenging than real ones.

But then again, I'm one of those that don't give a crap if my opponent's Pokemon are hacked legitly, so I won't know what others would think

For some people, like myself, it's just the principle of the thing. I want to play the game the way it was meant to be played and not with hacked Pokemon or by cheating. I don't dislike or hate people that do used hacked Pokemon - it's their choice to do that, after all, and as long as it doesn't effect me, I couldn't care less. The problem becomes when it does effect others - whether through the GTS or in battling.

I don't think one hacked Pokemon is then end of the world, I imagine anyone could just trade it away again on the open market of the GTS. And if they stand merely on principle alone then I guess they would release it or something. But really is it that bad to have a hacked version? A Mew is a Mew is a Mew. I can understand that the 999 in every stat is unfair and bad, but that level 10 Mew is that so awful?

Who said it was the end of the world? It's up to the individual to determine whether or not they give a crap if the Pokemon they're receiving is hacked or not. No one's going to fault you either way.

The problem becomes when it does effect others - whether through the GTS or in battling.

See I am trying to avoid this 100%, but it seems every Deoxys I see is Level 100 and I want one that I can train myself. I also constantly see people trying to duplicate, which is very obvious due to A person with a lvl 100 Palkia with a Master Ball asking for a lvl 100 Abra, or something that people would have evolved. I guess I should just look through here for legit trades.
When it comes to battling I still haven't battled much of anything because I am not done training anything of mine. Guess I should get cracking on pulling everything up towards level 100.

Great, annoying rant threads have hit bulbagarden.

If you don't mind hacked Pokemon, then good for you, but others do. So basically, when you trade, make sure you inform the person if it is hacked or not. As for the GTS, anyone who uses it should be aware that anything they ask for could be hacked and should not bitch about it seeing as they took the risk.

The one reason I stay away from them is based on the Stadium games from back in the day. In the booklets for them it even stated not to use Hacks in those games or your game cart would be erased. I had a friend who had done this anyway, and I saw this happen first hand.

I'm kind of picky about hacked pokemon. I never do my own hacking, but normally I accept them in trades if they are "semi-hacked"; hacked only to be acquired, while their stats and moves are all legit. I don't keep "super-hacked" pokemon, when every little detail has been altered to make them unstoppable. For me, that takes the fun (and reward) out of raising pokemon.

Last edited:
I'm kind of picky about hacked pokemon. I never do my own hacking, but normally I accept them in trades if they are "semi-hacked"; hacked only to be aquired, while their stats and moves are all legit. I don't keep "super-hacked" pokemon, when every little detail has been altered to make them unstoppable. For me, that takes the fun (and reward) out of raising pokemon.
QFT.

I usually don't accept hacks, I mean the ones that are made out of thin air, I can understand hacking to activate an event or something like that and I'm even lenient with the GTS cloning glitch. However I too have the problem with fully hacked pokemon, I mean c'mon what's the point of the game if you aren't going to go and catch and raise your own stuff?

YOu know what sucks? I always thought it would be funny to have a Lv 9 Mew to trade when people clone on the GTS, i got one from this kid yesterday, and guess what? i spend about 45 min cloning 4 of them (relize i cloned to have some fun with cloners) and guess what? The GTS wont let you trade a lv 9 Mew! THIS KID TOLD ME IT DID! he ripped me off my shiny Deoxys!! AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! So anyone interested in 4 Lv 9 mews? (Obviously hacked)

And the reason you didn't clone the shiny Deoxys to trade for the mew to clone to scam the cloners is...?

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom