• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Why the hate for Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Even putting that aside, there's also the fact that there was a new Pokémon game every year until the end of Gen 2 during the original Pokémania craze in the West. Red and Blue were 1998, Yellow was 1999, Gold and Silver were 2000, and Crystal was 2001 (going by the North American releases here)

Not hard for Pokémania to continue to Gen 2 when there was no real gap between the Gens.

I think it just boils down to BDSP failing to come anywhere close to reaching the precedent HGSS and ORAS set as remakes, while also ignoring the entire existence of Pokémon Platinum's quality of life improvements despite BDSP having its own unique chunk of them.

They were also making a faithful remake of what was already one of the messiest games in the series, and arguably the one that needed the most help fixing in some way for its time. This isn't what Pokémon fans wanted. They wanted Sinnoh to be bigger, better, more grand than it ever was before, much like how ORAS made Hoenn (when you ignore the removal of the Battle Frontier), and how HGSS made Kanto/Johto.

I've noticed BDSP receives more hate among Sinnoh fans than non-Sinnoh fans because to non-Sinnoh fans, BDSP fixed the most egregious issues DP had better than Platinum ever could, but those who found Platinum great never got a bigger, better Sinnoh. They got a downgraded Sinnoh again without much more to offer.

I think it just boils down to BDSP failing to come anywhere close to reaching the precedent HGSS and ORAS set as remakes, while also ignoring the entire existence of Pokémon Platinum's quality of life improvements despite BDSP having its own unique chunk of them.

They were also making a faithful remake of what was already one of the messiest games in the series, and arguably the one that needed the most help fixing in some way for its time. This isn't what Pokémon fans wanted. They wanted Sinnoh to be bigger, better, more grand than it ever was before, much like how ORAS made Hoenn (when you ignore the removal of the Battle Frontier), and how HGSS made Kanto/Johto.

I've noticed BDSP receives more hate among Sinnoh fans than non-Sinnoh fans because to non-Sinnoh fans, BDSP fixed the most egregious issues DP had better than Platinum ever could, but those who found Platinum great never got a bigger, better Sinnoh. They got a downgraded Sinnoh again without much more to offer.
I've gotta say, I think yours is one of the best takes I've seen on this matter. Well done!

BDSP fixed the most egregious issues DP had better than Platinum ever could
it really did not. The underground is not a substitute for Platinum's expanded dex, as the trainers are still stuck using the same few mons over and over again, and Flint and Volkner still can't make a full team of their specialty type. That was really the only major flaw DP had. There's also the HM thing, but i think that gets blown out of proportion (i don't mind that they're gone though).

Unless of course you're talking about the problem that in the original DP, you wouldn't be 10 levels higher than Candace just by fighting all the trainers. Yeah, they fixed that problem.

it really did not. The underground is not a substitute for Platinum's expanded dex, as the trainers are still stuck using the same few mons over and over again, and Flint and Volkner still can't make a full team of their specialty type. That was really the only major flaw DP had. There's also the HM thing, but i think that gets blown out of proportion (i don't mind that they're gone though).

Unless of course you're talking about the problem that in the original DP, you wouldn't be 10 levels higher than Candace just by fighting all the trainers. Yeah, they fixed that problem.
I think he might have been talking about some of the other things too, like one of DP's most infamous issues-the game's speed.

I think he might have been talking about some of the other things too, like one of DP's most infamous issues-the game's speed.
Namely the speed, the exp curves (grinding needed to keep up), and the HM requirements in the region restricting Pokémon/moveslots more than any other game.

Could also throw lack of release for the in-game Arceus event but I'm not sure how  much people cared about that.

Back
Top Bottom