• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wifi problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom

We are venom to you
Reaction score
I bought a wireless router so I could trade via wifi but I keep getting an error code when I connect with certain people. So I looked it up on Nintendo help and It says to get rid of this error I have to give my DS its own ip address but I don't know how to do that. If anyone knows how to fix this problem I would be very grateful.

I am getting error code 86420 but it doesn't always show up with everybody and I can always connect to GTS and get events

(I don't know if you have looked at this but here is the help page for your error code: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=86420&system=DS&locale=en_US )

If you haven't done so already, I recommend following the instructions given in the link on #3. That should give a more direct connection.

Although judging from the error code I don't think you would even be able to connect to the GTS and WiFi Mystery Gift.
Could the problem be caused by the people you are trying to connect to, that it's their connection?

yes I already know this. my question is how do I do this? I can't even find the routers program. I don't know why it only happens with certain people. I have had this problem with other routers and other Internet providers but it has never been this bad. usually I can connect with 9 out of 10 people now it seems to be reversed.

Last edited:
This is speculation, as I haven't bothered to connect my DS through wifi, but I'm assuming it's a port-blocking/firewalling/NAT problem.

Background info: When you're behind a NAT (router), you can connect to remote servers, but remote hosts will be unable to connect to you, unless you have set up specific port forwarding on the NAT-ing router. This concept works easily in a client-server environment, but in a peer-to-peer configuration, things can get messy. I don't know how the WFC communication protocol is designed, so I can't give you anything concrete beyond that.

Solution: The easiest (laziest) way to (attempt to) fix it is to set up your DS as a DMZ host on the router, which essentially forwards all ports to your DS. This should allow remote connections to be made to your DS.

Pre-requisites: Static (as in, non-changing) IP address configured on the router for the DS, where the DS is identified by its MAC address. Static IP is needed because the DZM configuration specifies a specific IP. If you specify DMZ to IP A.B.C.D, and your DS reconnects to the router with the IP A.B.C.Z one day, it will no longer be covered by the DMZ config and therefore will not work!

Implementation procedure: To access the router's control panel, go to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1
You'll need to know the admin login info, which will probably be something like "admin/admin" or "admin/password" or "admin/"... if you never changed it (you should change it).

Then you will need to give your DS a static IP. How to do this? It depends on your router. In my D-Link, you can get to it via Setup > Network Settings
staticip.png

Then you need the DMZ config. On my router, it's accessible through Advanced > Firewall Settings
dmz.png

I hope that helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom