• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wii U Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the new Wii-U controller, I dig the hell out of it. I don't think it will be too clunky. I would have liked to seen more traditional grips, but maybe that wasn't quite feasible.
I've regularly been picking up my laptop now as if it were the WiiU controller (though a bit bigger) and, based on the button layout, it isn't that hard to reach any of them.

This is in comparison to a simple remote control I have for my TV, where, the way it was shaped, promoted my hands to hold it further on the front, but all the channel buttons were closer to the bottom, making it impossible for my thumbs to comfortably reach the buttons. Really, its more button configuration than size.

Besides, I'd imagine that the way this is designed, you can probably rest most of the controller on your lap and have your hands to the side, and is probably the best configuration in the event that you needed to use right or left analog and the stylus at the same time. I guess people will just have to learn not to flail around so much with the games that don't utilize motion controls.

EDIT: Let's just hope we never need to press the start button very quickly in a game, because their placement relative to the other buttons are terrible.

Though, another concern I have is the battery life for this controller. I hope it's rechargeable, rather than me having to buy AA batteries all the time.

Last edited:
Though, another concern I have is the battery life for this controller. I hope it's rechargeable, rather than me having to buy AA batteries all the time.

I was just thinking about this at the doctor's office. That thing is going to go through batteries like crazy. :(

I still got my GameCube, so that helps the small blow of WiiU not having them.

And Thank the heavens that they got rid of Friend Codes! That alone makes me want this thing on launch date.

That controller is way too wide for my taste... I'm stcking with ps3 and xbox controls. I play with my hands resting on my hips holding the controller.
Playing with a tablet on my lap doesn't seem very comfortable.
That start button isn't very convenient either lol.

That screen really just seems unneeded.
Looking back and forth between screens is harder than just going to the game menu.
It's like when they were brainstorming features for the Wii U, they added a lot of things no one actually needs.

But atleast they're closing the generation gap and improving online. Friend codes suck.

Nintendo will either make huge profits on this like they did for the wii or fall flat on their face.

Your hips are on your side. When you're sitting, your lap is usually in front of you.

Yet that's supposedly harder?

Looking back and forth between screens is harder than just going to the game menu.
As you have had no experience doing so, how do you know? Many DS games have managed with the menu on the bottom screen while the gameplay was on top.

Also, people have managed to play a DSiXL, people have played using an iPad. It's not actually that ridiculous and it seems like they put effort into making it as comfortable as possible.

On the bottom was a big port that looked like it could be an HDMI-out jack. Is it? Here it comes: Nintendo wouldn't tell me. But consider the possibilities if it is -- take your game to another TV by moving just the Wii U controller and outputting your game to a big screen.
More brilliant by the second

Getting to know its specs, I would definitely pick one up if I had the money and time to play games.

Last edited:
Yet with the DS the screens are right there, just a few cm apart, and you can look down at both. One of the WiiU's screens is the TV.

I'm a bit concerned about the battery life too. If it has a charger like the DS, it might not last six-eight hours, especially if you play the game on the thing itself. But if it uses batteries like the Wiimotes...
Ugh.

That aside, the graphics look excellent, at the same time the games are the same casual gaming thing some people criticize about the Wii. We know they'll get one too.

Nintendo's stock plummeted to a 5 year low yesterday. People were either not impressed, or incredibly confused.

I'm going with the latter. Nintendo's presentation was horrible at painting a clear picture of what this thing was.

I wonder if they got this idea from the Wii Draw game tablet

Sony has essentially used the same controller for nearly 20 years now, and Microsoft has used, more or less, the same controller for both of its systems. Nintendo (and SEGA until 1999) has been the only company regularly changing their controllers. I, for one, won't mind the Wii Remote being used on occasion.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 were way more powerful than the Xbox and PS2. I feel the Wii U is sort of like the Kinect and PlayStation Move. It's like an accessory that allows you to play games that specifically need that accessory, like the Wii Balance Board on a larger scale. But that's just my opinion.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 were way more powerful than the Xbox and PS2. I feel the Wii U is sort of like the Kinect and PlayStation Move. It's like an accessory that allows you to play games that specifically need that accessory, like the Wii Balance Board on a larger scale. But that's just my opinion.

Wii-U isn't just a new accessory. It's a new console that is much more powerful than the Wii:

Wii_u.jpg

I know that, to me it just seems like another controller with a little bit more than the Wii can already do.

I know that, to me it just seems like another controller with a little bit more than the Wii can already do.
The WiiU, just as the Xbox360 and PS3 before it, is more powerful than its predecessor.

The WiiU, just as the Xbox360 and PS3 before it, is more powerful than its predecessor.

Well, yeah. It just doesn't seem to have the same huge improvement qualities that the Wii had compared to the Gamecube. I'm probably comparing it to that.

It's a uDraw tablet mixed with a Wii. GET OVER THE EXCITEMENT.

It's a uDraw tablet mixed with a Wii. GET OVER THE EXCITEMENT.

It's quite a bit more than that. The interaction between the screen on the controller and the television is quite unique. And the ability to play the games directly on the controller, without a TV, is certainly something that has me interested.

It's quite a bit more than that. The interaction between the screen on the controller and the television is quite unique. And the ability to play the games directly on the controller, without a TV, is certainly something that has me interested.

If you have a PS3, you can do remote play with a PSP and a PC.

If you have a PS3, you can do remote play with a PSP and a PC.

That isn't anywhere near what they are doing with the Wii-U controller. The way it seems to enhance gameplay is something that hasn't quite been done before.

Since I don't have a Wii, I think I will be getting this one in the future. The lack of Gamecube compatibility is a bummer, but since I don't have Gamecube games in the stores where I say at, it's probably not a big deal anyway. So some notables I will be missing are Metroid (not that I am into it), Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Mario Sunshine. It's too bad, because some of those games sound awesome.

Anyway, the Wii U is a very fabulous piece of hardware to try out, because the controller has potential for some great ideas. I like the ideas they have shown, like using the controller to catch the ball and hitting the golf ball with the Wii-mote. A Mario Party on the Wii U would be an interesting idea, though!

So, I am psyched if I get more fantastic details of this machine.

Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom